eliza_non

Where are the jobs?

eliza_non

I’ve come to the realisation that my career is fizzling out. I’m in a very competitive industry that is increasingly offshored. Since being made redundant while pregnant I’ve only managed to pick up freelance work, which isn’t enough. There are 200 applicants for every advertised job.

I’m considering retraining, given I have 25 years of work left before retirement. I’m nervous of throwing more years and money into retraining with no job at the end. Every career seems competitive these days.

Ideally I’d like to earn 70-80k per year. I currently have a Bachelor of Arts degree but happy to retrain for another four years if necessary.

I don’t think I have the passion to be a nurse. I lack confidence in public speaking and am an introvert so don’t think I’d be cut out for teaching. I’ve tried programming/IT and wasn’t good enough to make a career of it.

I’m feeling a bit stuck. Any ideas wise EBers?

CallMeFeral

What is your old job, what skills have you gained from it? What are your interests? What are your passions? What are you good at?

• Like 2

Sancti-claws

Allied health - growth industry

• Like 4

laridae

I was going to say IT. Not the programming side though, plenty of people in IT who don't program. I work in IT and we are a pretty diverse bunch. There are plenty of different areas to be good at.

• Like 3

eliza_non

What is your old job, what skills have you gained from it? What are your interests? What are your passions? What are you good at?

Without being too identifying, I work in a creative field. My interests are not very practical topics like history, art, etc. I guess I followed my passion, but now 15 years in, I’d love a steady pay cheque and predictable career trajectory.

Edited by eliza_non
  • Like 1

eliza_non

I was going to say IT. Not the programming side though, plenty of people in IT who don't program. I work in IT and we are a pretty diverse bunch. There are plenty of different areas to be good at.

I feel silly asking this, but what does a non programming IT career look like? I didn’t know this was an option.

• Like 1

ipsee

Website design and writing website content is popular now - but hard to say if it will stay that way.

• Like 1

laridae

I feel silly asking this, but what does a non programming IT career look like? I didn’t know this was an option.

Networks, application support, desktop support, help centre, project management, database administration, identity management, testing, servers, backups, security.

I work in a reasonably large government IT department. We have one programmer, and a small team that does application integration. The rest do everything else.

Edited by laridae
  • Like 2

ineedmorecoffee

Project support roles in state government.

Start as a contractor through agencies to get in the door and once you get in and prove you are reliable - more than likely to get extended or promoted.

• Like 3

CallMeFeral

Without being too identifying, I work in a creative field. My interests are not very practical topics like history, art, etc. I guess I followed my passion, but now 15 years in, I’d love a steady pay cheque and predictable career trajectory.

So arts... if you're good at writing, maybe copy writing or suchlike? Graphic design although probably that's easily offshored. Anything amenable to academia? I think permanent contracts in academia are hard to come by but I've heard tuition type stuff can sometimes be easily available, depending on your area.

I mean really if you're looking at guarding against offshoring, it's all about physical work, because that can't be offshored, but it's also not great as you age. But maybe some kind of machinery driver? Or like electronic/phone technician or a trade if there's one that interests you. Some health fields, as a PP mentioned.

What sort of things do you like doing?

• Like 1

Cimbom

Unfortunately there is competition in every area these days. Personally I've found it more effective to pursue jobs that align with my skills and interests as it means that I perform a lot better rather than choosing a path based on demand or perceived lack of competitiveness.

• Like 5

molinero

Are you spatially minded? Get a grad certificate/diploma in GIS and get into a growing field which is chronically understaffed in this country - the pay will be what you are asking for.

• Like 1

Feral33

Podiatry (diabetes, ageing population) or data science I reckon.

• Like 2

eliza_non

Are you spatially minded? Get a grad certificate/diploma in GIS and get into a growing field which is chronically understaffed in this country - the pay will be what you are asking for.

Thank you. This suggestion has really interested me. I enjoyed maths and geography at school. I get a pang of job envy when I see surveyors working but always though my maths was a bit low for the job. GIS could be a good alternative, and less training.

• Like 3

eliza_non

Podiatry (diabetes, ageing population) or data science I reckon.

I had looked at the podiatry degree previously, but just couldn't get excited about dedicating my life to feet.

• Like 3

little lion

Have a look at government jobs in policy and projects. Do they appeal? You might need to do a post grad certificate to upskill.

• Like 2

Elizabethandfriend

Are you interested in policy? I have an Arts degree and a Law degree and after a lengthy break from the workforce I quickly found part-time work in policy. If you studied in the field you could do a Masters in two years (but I found work without that).

• Like 1

eliza_non

Have a look at government jobs in policy and projects. Do they appeal? You might need to do a post grad certificate to upskill.

I don't live in a capital city unfortunately, so government work is limited. We are considering moving in the future so definitely something to consider.

Are you interested in policy? I have an Arts degree and a Law degree and after a lengthy break from the workforce I quickly found part-time work in policy. If you studied in the field you could do a Masters in two years (but I found work without that).

Another great suggestion. I'm going to go look at the public policy post grad degrees.

I'm really appreciating all the great ideas everyone!

ponky

What about librarian especially local history Librarian. You can do a 1yr Grad Diploma.

Libraries have an assortment of jobs including digitial and creative roles.

• Like 1

ipsee

Occupational therapy and Speech therapy seem to be in high demand. It is a long course though.

• Like 2

kerilyntaryn

What about librarian especially local history Librarian. You can do a 1yr Grad Diploma.

Libraries have an assortment of jobs including digitial and creative roles.

Library jobs are hard to get though - so many qualified and not many positions

Anything in the health field, ageing population, disability is a growing field. Counsellors, Psychologists, Psychiatrists, Social Work, OT, Physio, Speech are in short supply

• Like 4

Staying Strange

If you're creative would creative therapies (music therapist, art therapist etc) or a being a child life therapist be of interest?

• Like 1

Babetty

Data analyst? Seems to be a growth area at the moment

• Like 1

molinero

Thank you. This suggestion has really interested me. I enjoyed maths and geography at school. I get a pang of job envy when I see surveyors working but always though my maths was a bit low for the job. GIS could be a good alternative, and less training.

Nope it's mostly electronic these days. I did some compulsory GIS courses in it when I was studying but I'm not spatially minded and it didn't gel with me. But if you can get into it and enjoy it, you will have no problems finding work, even while you are still studying. And like I said, there's no need for a full three year degree either.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

• Like 1

Apageintime

I have an arts degree and have ended up in cyber security. huge growth idustry that is REALLY bad at comms....

So if you can write, and think critically, there might be a job for you.

• Like 2