Sign in to follow this  
jojodefina

High risk: anyone else on weekly doc appts?

jojodefina

Hi there,

I am 43 years old and on my 4th pregnancy with one 3.5 year old son. It took us 2 years, 2 miscarriages, 5 failed rounds of IVF before I fell pregnant naturally.

I saw my amazing obstetrician today who said he wouldn’t let me go beyond 38 weeks, and that he would also like to see me weekly.

Very different to my first pregnancy. My son was 4.5kg at 39 weeks, so definitely no harm in going earlier (and avoids the NYE due date).

Just wondering if anyone else who was deemed high risk had weekly appointments from 8 weeks?

I love the extra attention, of course, but this is very different to my first pregnancy where I was on the regular appointment time line. Aside from my ‘advanced maternal age’ and previous miscarriages pregnancy agrees with me.

Phoebeandme

Seems a bit extreme. I was on weekly appointments from

28 weeks with my high risk hypertensive pregnancy. Can’t see what difference weekly appointments that early on would make though!?

Teddy17

Yes, I am.

I’ve been on weekly appointments the whole pregnancy and I’m now 23 weeks. I’ve also been having fortnightly growth scans.

This is because my baby girl was born last year at 19 weeks, due to an incompetent cervix, with no other reason as to why. So this pregnancy I saw my obstetrician as soon as I got a positive test and he has been monitoring everything since. I also had stitches put in at 13 weeks so my cervix is checked internally every fortnight by him and scanned every other fortnight at the growth scan.

I think it’s been great-while I feel like a walking calendar, I like knowing that they’re keeping an eye on everything abc the slightest change will be picked up. Plus it helps with anxiety of something going wrong, which is constantly ok my mind.

rosie28

I have been in weekly appointments, I’ve had three huge bleeds this pregnancy. I’m now almost 14 weeks and going back to fortnightly, but I won’t be on the regular schedule for this stage. Later on i’ll Go back to weekly much earlier than normal because there have been growth concerns in both my previous pregnancies.

NeedSleepNow

I had weekly appointments from around 10 weeks with DD due to constant heavy bleeding. The bleeding stopped around 26 weeks, and I was able to then do fortnightly for a while. I found the regular appointments helpful!

linen_and_lace

As per PPs, I was on weekly appointments due to bleeding (SCH) from 9 weeks up until about 18 weeks when it subsided. I'm 23 weeks now, still have the SCH, though its not active, and I'm on fortnightly appointments, with monthly scans to check bubs growth and SCH size. The weekly appointments definitely helped ease some anxiety - although a week still felt like an eternity to wait and see that bub was ok.

Wishing you all the best for your pregnancy OP.

#YKG

If I’m able to get pregnant I’ve already been told I’ll be on weekly appts, I will be high risk due to an issue that means my body sees a baby as a “foreign body” and attacks instead of protects the baby.

I’m actively trying with being managed by my Drs. Some pregnancies are higher risk and do need that extra care. It’s not wrong or overkill it’s what is needed sometimes to ensure the pregnancy progresses to term as healthily as possible.

Amica

I was on weekly appointments from the moment I had a positive test at 6 weeks - age 40, with previous history of severe PE, HELLP Syndrome that required intensive care treatment. Toward the end of my pregnancy I was on monitoring every second day and had 8 admissions before I delivered at 32 weeks late last year.

Good luck OP.