Sign in to follow this  
rubyskye

Ear infections

rubyskye

Hi,

I'm just wondering what everyones experience with ear infections have been please?

DS about to turn 3 has had the same ear infection or two ear infections in a row. It followed a bad cold and its the first time hes had them so I dont know what is normal. Hes been to the doctor 5 times over the past 12 days. He has been prescribed 2 courses of antibiotics and has had daily nurofen and panadol. He has had fevers that spike at night, twice with vomitting. His ears are sore, his glands are all up.

He can appear almost normal in the daytime most days but he is very stoic.

2 days ago they looked so bad the GP said he was considering referal to an ENT for possible grommets. But then yesterday his ears had improved slightly so the GP held off.

I've got another appt this morning after being up with DS fever yet again but I'm about ready to drive to the royal childrens and demand something!

His eardrums havent ruptured. How bad does it get before they do anything? Poor DS, this isnt fair on him at all. I'm going to ask for a referal today I think, but am I overreacting?

All I've read is they have to have bad ear infections for months before any surgery but honestly I'm not prepared to go through months of this. Poor DS :(

Thanks

Edited by RubyEmerald

Oh Peanuts!

Ear infections are just horrible!

Get the referral to the ent. Remember that they are best placed to talk through the options, including if grommets are required.

• Like 4

Bearynice

My kids had more than ten ear infections each between six months-2 years

The anti biotics usually take a few days to get going.

When laying down ears hurt even more. We used to elevate the head of the bed a little.

Is it his first ear infection?

There is often criteria that gp have for referral to ent. But at your appointment is could be worth discussing.

There is often a wait for ent.

• Like 1

rubyskye

Hi bearynice, Im sorry to hear your kids had so many ear infections. Im finding it pretty debilitating on us all - hes up through the night with his fever, not sleeping well, up at 3/4am everyday. His head is propped up with a pillow to sleep, we have a humidifier on.

We're not going on playdates etc. Its just awful, life feels on hold! Sorry its dramatic, I've not slept much.

Yes it is his first infection.

TheGreenSheep

Hi OP, just wondering what his speech and hearing is like?

DS1s language started to decline, he also appeared quite deaf at times. We also did hearing tests along with referral to ENT, so as it turned out the hearing impairment required the grommets, as well as the recurrent infections.

DS1 had two sets of grommets, DS2 had three sets. Finally grew out of it after age 7-8yo

• Like 1

rubyskye

Hi OP, just wondering what his speech and hearing is like?

DS1s language started to decline, he also appeared quite deaf at times. We also did hearing tests along with referral to ENT, so as it turned out the hearing impairment required the grommets, as well as the recurrent infections.

DS1 had two sets of grommets, DS2 had three sets. Finally grew out of it after age 7-8yo

Hi greensheep, his hearing and speech has always seemed fine. Only with this ear infection he has begun snoring when asleep and saying he can't hear the tv for example.

Im sorry your DS has had to have so many grommet placements :(

Edited by RubyEmerald

TheGreenSheep

Hi greensheep, his hearing and speech has always seemed fine. Only with this ear infection he has begun snoring when asleep and saying he can't hear the tv for example.

Im sorry your DS has had to have so many grommet placements :(

One thing we noticed was that the volume went up on the TV. Because of the fluid behind the ear drum it’s like listening with ear muffs on. Around that time his speech started to suffer and what I refer to as ‘selective deafness’ started. Sometimes he would hear me, sometimes he wouldn’t.

We were advised to wait until he didn’t have a cold any longer and then do the hearing test. It was actually quite upsetting for me to see how poorly both of them responded. When we saw the ENT with both of them, there was a late cancellation and he did both the boys the next morning. It was like night and day afterwards. DS1 was complaining about all the noise!

• Like 1

QuirkyMum

OP, ear infections aren't fun.

Some kids would have one after another with high fever for days and lots of pain but no hearing loss. I was that kid ( had ear infections with fever and lots of pain for two weeks every month since I was 2 and until I turned 8). I have very narrow ear canal ( just like my mum and my DS1). And am prone to blockages (excessive ear wax production or whatever doctors call it), just like my dad and my DS1.

My DS1 had no ear infections ( that I know of, his colds always present as snorty nose and fever but clumps of earwax do come out with snort from his nose...) but at the age of 2 he could barely hear because of glue ear. He had several sets of grommets and at the age of 8 needed a surgery to remove one stuck grommet and repair ear drum.

Did you or your husband have ear infections often as kids? If you did and your little guy is having such a horrible experience with his first one, I'd probably get grommets asap. Grommets are awesome. No pain, no pressure, no ear infections, no blocked sinuses - magic!

It might be a one off for your son though. Good luck!

• Like 1