kyrrie

How do you refer to yourself when you talk to yourself?

kyrrie

Doesn’t matter if it’s out loud or just in your head!

So do you use, I or you or your name? Do you mix it up or does it seem to depend on your mood or what you are thinking about?

For example if I’m telling myself to get out of bed it might be:

‘I need to get up’ or

‘You need to get up now’ or

‘Ok Kyrrie, it’s time to get up’

I think it depends on my mood. The first is just ok, the second tends to be more when I am feeling bad or guilty and I only use my name if I’m in a good mood. But I’m not really sure.

It’s a bit of a light hearted example, but is it the same for everyone or are we all different?

seayork2002

I think I say it all sorts of ways about myself

I have met people who refer to themselves in the 3rd person (ie Sam says to me 'Sam is going to the shops')

What I call DH depends on my mood

and DS is called 'yes your royal master' or some other title, depending on his mood

Kallie88

A mix of all, depends what sort of self talk it is I suppose, though i've never thought about it enough to identify a pattern

Eta: not my name very often though

Edited by Kallie88

Jennifaraway

I'm not actually sure! I know I never use my name (my family was never big into using people's names - it's a known linguistic thingamajig). Probably a combination of "I" and "you".

The kids get their names yelled at them a lot though! :rofl:

DQMission

Probably not a surprise but I catch myself calling myself stupid b**ch (eg. just get it done, you stupid b**ch"), a fat lazy b**ch, the list goes on. I am obviously aware this is not healthy and when I realise I am doing it I restate it in my mind with my name. Lately it is hapenning a lot as I am so overwhelmed and frustrated.

ETA: DS#1 used to refer to himsel fin the third person. I dont know if it is an ASD thing or not as his younger brother never did it. We just had to do a lot of modelling of the appropriate language.

Edited by SelceLisbeth
  • Like 2

~Jolly_F~

I or you.

I don’t refer to myself by my name because I don’t like my name. I also don’t refer to myself by my NN. When I try to think like that, if just feels weird.

Riotproof

I'm not actually sure! I know I never use my name (my family was never big into using people's names - it's a known linguistic thingamajig). Probably a combination of "I" and "you".

The kids get their names yelled at them a lot though! :rofl:

Dh does this. As a result, it’s actually a bit annoying when he does use my name. Or sweet. Depending on what he’s saying.

• Like 1

seayork2002

I or you.

I don’t refer to myself by my name because I don’t like my name. I also don’t refer to myself by my NN. When I try to think like that, if just feels weird.

Yeah thinking more I think it is I or you that I use as well

I have nothing against my name I just think a name is for other people to use not the person who 'owns' it (probably did not explain that properly - and I am only speaking for myself)

little lion

Just “I”, I think?

Odd-1-Out

I dont think I ever have. I might think "It's time to get up" but that's about it. I never had that self talk voice people talk about.

• Like 7

Flimsy*But*Fun

I use, "You."

May I just say, I LOVE the topic title!

kyrrie

I dont think I ever have. I might think "It's time to get up" but that's about it. I never had that self talk voice people talk about.

Wow, isn’t it amazing how different we all are.

got my tinsel on

I.

but mostly I just say

'get up.'

'hurry up'

etc.

wallofdodo

This is interesting. When people use my actual name, I get a bit of a jolt, cause I am not used to hearing it.

Even at work, you kind of instinctually know when someone is talking to you.

My name is more often written than said out loud.

For the sake of this thread, usually I

lizzzard

I’m the same WallofDodo. I don’t dislike my name but for some reason I struggle to associate it with myself. So weird whey I think about it. Thanks never use my name when talking to myself either.

Gudrun

By my birth surname. Second person singular pronoun and qualitative expletives where appropriate.

Edited by Gudrun

AnythingGoes

I tend to use 'you' but I've realised that I (like a PP) tend to be pretty negative and use "you stupid/lazy/crazy b**ch" a fair bit. Which is a little disturbing. These were the kind of things my mum called me and it appears to have stuck.

Odd-1-Out

Wow, isn’t it amazing how different we all are.

Sure is, probably why am the "Odd one out" lol

MissBehaving

My name most of the time

JediMaster

I or you... Very rarely by my first name.

And yeah I feel a bit disconnected from my first name. Like it sounds strange to my ears to hear someone saying it - or talking about me using it within ear shot.

How different must life be without constant self talk PP- my goodness sometimes I’d love a break from it.

• Like 1

kyrrie

I tend to use 'you' but I've realised that I (like a PP) tend to be pretty negative and use "you stupid/lazy/crazy b**ch" a fair bit. Which is a little disturbing. These were the kind of things my mum called me and it appears to have stuck.

Yes, I’ve taken note of it this evening. The negative stuff definitely uses ‘you’. But it was funny, when I was angry with myself I used you. ‘What have you done you are such an idiot’ etc. But later on when I was exasperated with my forgetfulness but not angry, I spoke out loud and used my name.

Obviously it wasn’t a good afternoon. Indeed

kyrrie

How different must life be without constant self talk PP- my goodness sometimes I’d love a break from it.

But you wouldn’t know would you? That’s why I asked, because there are so many things that go on in our heads and we just think it’s the same for everyone. I started to think, but what if it’s not?

Lyra

I often refer to myself by name but usually when it refers to tasks that need to be done or have been done

eg Past Lyra was awesome when she wrote all those anecdotal notes for work! It's made present Lyra very happy!

eg Future Lyra better appreciate all the work that present Lyra is doing for her!

One time my husband said: stop doing things for future Lyra; she can't hurt you!

• Like 3

PocketIcikleflakes

I or you... Very rarely by my first name.

And yeah I feel a bit disconnected from my first name. Like it sounds strange to my ears to hear someone saying it - or talking about me using it within ear shot.

I feel the same! I have a constant inner monologue. Even if I'm doing yoga or watching TV or reading a book. There's still at least one train of thought in the background. I wonder what it's like to be able to turn that off.

I use I or you mostly, I don't think they split according to if I'm being positive or negative.

• Like 1

hunter4

This is interesting - I don't think I've ever addressed any of my inner thoughts at myself at all. I have a constant monologue going in my head but I'm generally talking to some one else or the universe or something - not necessarily to myself.

So my answer is none of the above I don't use I you or my name I just make comments so rather than saying I don't want to get up it'll be more like - "is it time to get up already. Noooooo"..

• Like 2