Sign in to follow this  
spr_maiden

Jamelex

Yes, if they are correctly restrained in a booster.

However, my take on the pp was that she was thinking a 4+yo could sit in the front seat without a booster, thus sitting too low for the airbag, risking facial/head/neck injuries, and the seatbelt going across neck instead of shoulder, abdo instead of across hips. Recipe for disaster.

• Like 3

Veritas Vinum Arte

I still keep my kids seated in the back seat until they are taller than me. By that stage it seems a bit silly to keep them in back seat when they are under 12yrs but actually taller than me driving (I am short 150cm). My kids all stay in booster seats until 135-145cm in height (until they pass the 5 step test to see if they can fit in car without booster).

Edited by Veritas Vinum Arte
  • Like 1

spr_maiden

Yes, if they are correctly restrained in a booster.

However, my take on the pp was that she was thinking a 4+yo could sit in the front seat without a booster, thus sitting too low for the airbag, risking facial/head/neck injuries, and the seatbelt going across neck instead of shoulder, abdo instead of across hips. Recipe for disaster.

Yes. This was partly why I was confused.

I appreciate the clarification.

FWIW, my 9.5yr old is still in a harnessed booster in the back (much to his dislike) as he's not quite 145cm yet. Kids in front seats feels wrong. Though knowing a booster can go in the front seat for him until he's over 145cm is good, in case we need to.

Edited by spr_maiden

Jamelex

As long as he’s under the shoulder height marker/weight limit for the actual booster :)

hills mum bec

Except there is a proviso re over 4 yr olds are able to be transported in adult belted front seat if all other seats are occupied. Make they outline this as used to be mentioned no car restraints are to be used in front seats. So, to clarify

for people, they have stated still no car restraints in front seat but adult belted front seat for over 4s if no other seats available?!

Thanks PPs!!

No, even in the front seat they still need to be in an untethered booster if they under 7yo.

http://www.mylicence...straints#tabs-5

• must not travel in the front seat of a vehicle that has two or more rows of seats unless all the other back seats are already occupied by children under 7 years, or there is not enough space to put a third restraint in the back seat, or there are no seatbelts fitted in the back seat. However children must still be in an approved restraint (e.g. booster seat) when they are sitting in the front seat. You will also need to use a booster seat without a top tether strap as anchorage points are not available for the front seat.

Edited by hills mum bec

Mose

As long as he’s under the shoulder height marker/weight limit for the actual booster :)

DS is 125cm (8.5 years), but well over the shoulder height marker for the folding infasecure booster we bought about 3 years ago.

Where do we find a booster that will suit him for the next few years?

I am not sure about him but I know I am disporportionately long in the torso vs legs, so he may be the same. (i.e. based on my leg length you would presume I am short, but I am actually average height). I am a bit worried whether we are going to be able to make it work until his feet touch the floor properly!

Kaz83

I wish there was the resources for the police to sit at school pick up and pull everyone up on having their kids incorrectly restrained. There is so little knowledge in the community regarding car seats. I see so many kids in wrong seats or not in restraints at all... i think it is another case of "it wont happen to me"

• Like 1

Jenflea

have friends who don't use boosters when they should be, or who put 7 yr olds in the front seat because they can't be a*sed fitting 3 seats in the back or even 2 seats and one in regular seatbelt.

My sister scoffs when I tell her that DD will be in a booster till past 10, and more likely to 12 as she's short. She's of the "No 10 yr old wants to be in a booster" mentality. In her day they were out of boosters by 4, blah blah.

I say if she knows no different she won't care. And so far, at just turned 9 DD doesn't care if she's still in a booster and her friends aren't. She knows its for her safety.

Caribou

Kaz83- I don’t think it’s a case of won’t happen to me. It’s more than that. In my case, As soon as DD turned 7, I gave up on booster seats the day she was 7.. I don’t drive and if friends offer to give her a ride, I take it because it’s a choice between 2 hours train travel or 10 min drive. I’ve weighed up the risks and comfortable with my decision.

If parents have booster seat I tell her to accept it. But none of them carry spare booster seats.

Follow the law and then once beyond that then you can make your own decisions based on facts. I agree to hold onto boosters long as you can, but I’m also glad that DD isnt legally required a booster because otherwise it would be much harder to travel, not just going PT but money wise those taxi rides really add up. It’s not cheap not having a car.

I respect people choices to use car seats and not to use car seats. So long as they follow the laws in place until they’re legally not necessary, we shouldn’t judge, just trust the parents have made the best informed decision for the kids and their families.

• Like 1

Cheesy Sanga

DS is 125cm (8.5 years), but well over the shoulder height marker for the folding infasecure booster we bought about 3 years ago.

Where do we find a booster that will suit him for the next few years?

Is there an anchor point available or does it need to be an untethered booster?

What is his seated torso height? Sit him on the floor against the wall. Measure from the floor to his shoulder (where the seat belt or harness strap would cross his shoulder).

Cheesy Sanga

Example: 3 6 yr olds, 2 car seats, 1 vacant back seat spot. Is it illegal for a 6 yr old to travel in the back seat without a restraint when all other available restraints are in use?

They must all be restrained correctly for their age, so at 6yo that's in a harnessed seat or a seat belt booster. If there is no room in the back seat for a 3rd seat/booster or if there cannot be a seat/booster there due to no anchor point or no full lap and sash belt then the 3rd child can be in the front in an untethered booster. The booster must be an actual untethered booster. You cannot use a tethered booster without connecting the top tether to an anchor point.

MadMarchMasterchef

My sister scoffs when I tell her that DD will be in a booster till past 10, and more likely to 12 as she's short. She's of the "No 10 yr old wants to be in a booster" mentality. In her day they were out of boosters by 4, blah blah.

I say if she knows no different she won't care. And so far, at just turned 9 DD doesn't care if she's still in a booster and her friends aren't. She knows its for her safety.

My 8yo is in one and knows she will be for a while.

I actually have adult friends who are only just over the height recommendations for boosters! (yes they are quite short)

Lou-bags

My 5.5yo is 124cm tall and has a Mother’s choice booster (trinity, $99 from target and as far as I could tell has a 4.7

rating). The headrest has plenty of moves up to make before its max height. But I think a lot of his height is in his legs, as despite being massive for his age, he only went over the shoulder markers to outgrow his previous 0-4 car seat after turning 5yo.

Cheesy Sanga

There is a seat belt in the middle but no anchor point.

If it's a full lap and sash belt then you can use an untethered booster. If it's a lap only belt then that seat is useless as a lap only belt is unsafe for everyone.

What car is it? Is the anchor point in a different position to the outer points? Is there a hole that you can screw an anchor point in? Can you look into having an anchor point engineered and certified if this is going to be an ongoing situation?

Future-self

Which is not going to many of them!