Sign in to follow this  
spr_maiden

spr_maiden

Edited by spr_maiden

Caribou

Yes. All children need car restraints unless they are 7 and older or preferably over 140cms tall.

Exemption in car seats only apply to registered licensed taxis.

• Like 3

MadMarchMasterchef

In SA they must legally be in a booster seat until 7 and can only sit in the front if they are over 7 (I think? ) and the back seat is completely occupied by younger kids.

But it may vary in other states.

dadwasathome

In NSw, under 7 they need to be in a child restraint or booster seat. Doesn't matter where they're sitting.

Edited by dadwasathome

hills mum bec

Not having enough restraints is not an excuse for not using one. If the child is under 7yo then they must be in a child restraint. If you don't have enough then you either get another one for them or they don't go in the car.

• Like 10

~Jolly_F~

And I believe car seat laws are uniform across the country now after the review a few years ago.

They certainly are.

• Like 1

Jenflea

Can you borrow a folding booster for the one in the back?

• Like 1

Safety Queen

You will have to get car seats small enough to fit all 3

Soontobegran

Do you mean there is no middle seat belt in the back ?

CrankyM

Must be in a booster until 7 minimum. If you don’t have enough anchor points then use a folding booster or similar. There are boosters that don’t require anchor points (Infasecure folding and a safe and sound one I don’t know the same of.)

• Like 2

Veritas Vinum Arte

As everyone has stated it is a requirement to have all children 7yrs and under in appropriate child restraints.

spr_maiden

Not having enough restraints is not an excuse for not using one. If the child is under 7yo then they must be in a child restraint. If you don't have enough then you either get another one for them or they don't go in the car.

Except there is a proviso re over 4 yr olds are able to be transported in adult belted front seat if all other seats are occupied. Make they outline this as used to be mentioned no car restraints are to be used in front seats. So, to clarify

for people, they have stated still no car restraints in front seat but adult belted front seat for over 4s if no other seats available?!

Thanks PPs!!

spr_maiden

Do you mean there is no middle seat belt in the back ?

There is a seat belt in the middle but no anchor point.

spr_maiden

One more...

I thought the laws were children under 10 yrs were not allowed to travel in front seats unless no other available seats. Now, all I can find says children 7 and over are able to travel in front seats.

That seems like a backwards adjustment to laws.

• Like 1

Jamelex

Except there is a proviso re over 4 yr olds are able to be transported in adult belted front seat if all other seats are occupied. Make they outline this as used to be mentioned no car restraints are to be used in front seats. So, to clarify

for people, they have stated still no car restraints in front seat but adult belted front seat for over 4s if no other seats available?!

Thanks PPs!!

An untethered booster needs to be used as per all comments about requiring at least a booster until at least seven years of age.

• Like 3

c.sanders

There is a seat belt in the middle but no anchor point.

Still no excuse. You can use a booster.

• Like 1

Jamelex

One more...

I thought the laws were children under 10 yrs were not allowed to travel in front seats unless no other available seats. Now, all I can find says children 7 and over are able to travel in front seats.

That seems like a backwards adjustment to laws.

Recommendation is 12 years of age for front seat, based on both an adult seatbelt fitting and protecting correctly, and air bag injuries on children too small for the front seat even though it may be legal.

• Like 3

Jamelex

As long as it’s not a lap only seat belt in the middle (ie it’s a proper lap sash belt) then best would be to use an untethered booster rear middle.

• Like 1

Veritas Vinum Arte

For children 4-7yrs there are folding travel boosters which do not need to be anchored. These can be used in middle seat where there is no anchor point or in a front seat if you have more than 3 children under 7yrs but 1 over 4yrs.

• Like 1

spr_maiden

PPs, with the tone, take it down a notch.

I'm not making excuses. I was on the side of need one.

If I didn't give a hoot, I wouldn't be on here asking.

• Like 9

Crombek

The section you linked only deals with where in the car, not what. It’s badly set out because that info is in section 1.

• Like 3

dadwasathome

I've checked the government websites for three different states now and the operative statement on all of them is that children under 7 years of age must use an approved child restraint.

That Qld "where children should sit" is pretty poor by not mentioning restraints when saying over 4 a child can sit in the front if other seats are occupied.

• Like 1

Veritas Vinum Arte

Recommendation is 12 years of age for front seat, based on both an adult seatbelt fitting and protecting correctly, and air bag injuries on children too small for the front seat even though it may be legal.

Australian Research Paper below, Australian Airbags do not cause extra injuries (for children seated in front seat in appropriate restraint)

http://casr.adelaide.edu.au/rsr/RSR2009/RS090037.pdf

CONCLUSIONS

The results suggest that a front passenger airbag has the potential to significantly reduce injury risks, and at worst makes no difference, to a child correctly and appropriately restrained in a forward-facing restraint or booster seat.

This could be attributed to Australian airbags being designed as supplementary restraint systems to the lap-sash seatbelt. As a result, the airbags fire later and inflate with less force.

A similar result was observed for a child in a rearward-facing restraint, however, further investigation is required to analyse cases where the restraint is abutted against the dash-mounted-airbag unit. The study also suggests that when the ACRIP and ANCAP data are compared, it indicates that a child in an age appropriate restraint in the front seat is not at a higher risk of injury due to interaction with the airbag, than a child in the rear seat.

Edited by Veritas Vinum Arte
  • Like 1

spr_maiden

^ that's good info, thank you.