Sign in to follow this  
Wonderstruck

Toddler - poor fluid intake every day :(

Wonderstruck

Fluid intake :( How do you not worry about it? What do you do when it remains low no matter what you try? What could be causing it?

Lily is 2 and non-ige cmpa and reflux. Still on Somac. Fluids have always been a challenge other than when she was young and only on bottles.

We used to scrape by as she would have 2x180ml bottles of oat milk and any water was a bonus. Milk intake is getting less and less now.

Now she appears to be reducing milk intake which I'd be fine with if she drank well. A bad day is 200mls/250mls oat milk and a few sips of water. An amazing day is the same plus 200mls of water...days like this is few and far between.

She'll have maybe 15mls-30mls of juice with her maltofer iron supplement. Ice blocks are hit and miss especially now its colder. We offer jelly and some days she will have some.

We have every bottle and cup known to man. We went back to twice daily Somac (we cut the night dose a few months ago), we offer all day, we leave it in reach - she just refuses.

She just doesnt want to drink. Its worse on day care days even though her bottle is always available.

We do feeding therapy with a speechie.

The lack of fluid compounds constipation.

We have an endoscopy booked for 11 June and I think the gastro wants to rule out EoE. The gastro is having us offer more dairy so they can see it there is any impact when they do the scope.

What could be causing this? I just don't know what else to try and am sick of worrying about fluid intake.

One stressed out mumma :(

Caribou

Oh that is hard. I really feel for you. My DD was a terrible fluid intake kid. Even at 7 she still is terrible!! I have THREE bottles of water in her bag so she can’t miss any of them. And might be lucky if she comes home with half an empty bottle of water. (They’re 250mls bottles). She survived this long with little water for any fluid really... summer is the worse though. Dehydrated more then.

Now I now you mentioned your DD struggles with food, so please feel free to ignore anything I tried with my DD.

- mix 7 parts water 1 part OJ that’s supposed to help with getting bowels moving according to GP when DD was facing this issue

- bribing her with chocolate milkshakes

- making sure most of the foods given were filled with water. I.e water dense Think things like watermelon, cucumbers, strawberries, tomatoes, etc. I’m not sure how well some of these foods will go with your DD.

- would she try any boost drinks? Like liquid watermelon and sorbet?

I wish I could be of more help, but like I said, even at 7, my DD is an anti-drinker, unless it’s boost or chocolate milkshake. I have to force her to drink a glass of water with dinner. Because she would happily never drink.

• Like 2

Cheesy Sanga

Possibly different temperatures of water, like ice cold, room temp, slightly warm?

22Fruitmincepies

Don’t forget that lots of foods contain lots of water, and that counts. And as the weather cools down everyone drinks less than in the warm weather.

Any ways you can make water more fun? Put slices of fruit in her water bottle, or a tiny bit of food colouring in her favourite colour? Does she like competition - “I’m going to drink my water first, you won’t beat me!” Games that you make up that involve drinking water?

• Like 3

Wonderstruck

Don’t forget that lots of foods contain lots of water, and that counts. And as the weather cools down everyone drinks less than in the warm weather.

Any ways you can make water more fun? Put slices of fruit in her water bottle, or a tiny bit of food colouring in her favourite colour? Does she like competition - “I’m going to drink my water first, you won’t beat me!” Games that you make up that involve drinking water?

Thankfully she loves fruit so I give fruit as much as I can.

I'll try jazzing up the water.

She is just so damn stubborn. She's ber pushing it away and saying no for as long as I can remember

22Fruitmincepies

Thankfully she loves fruit so I give fruit as much as I can.

I'll try jazzing up the water.

She is just so damn stubborn. She's ber pushing it away and saying no for as long as I can remember

DD survived purely on watermelon once when sick, the results in the nappy were, interesting. Maybe try and see if you can find any fun you tube clips about drinking water, you never know that might help.

• Like 1

EmmDasher

Give her a cup in the bath? My kids seem to drink their body weight in water straight from the tap.

I really didn’t love doing it but sometimes at that age, I’d give the really runny basic 4month rafferty’s pouch purées. They were a novelty but the ones that were straight pear or straight Veg seemed to help keep things moving.

And edit to add, it is just so hard. It did improve as our eldest got just a little older and we could reason with her and she could understand the need to drink more. A reward chart system helped at that age.

Edited by EmmDasher

Wonderstruck

Give her a cup in the bath? My kids seem to drink their body weight in water straight from the tap.

I really didn’t love doing it but sometimes at that age, I’d give the really runny basic 4month rafferty’s pouch purées. They were a novelty but the ones that were straight pear or straight Veg seemed to help keep things moving.

And edit to add, it is just so hard. It did improve as our eldest got just a little older and we could reason with her and she could understand the need to drink more. A reward chart system helped at that age.

She has some tea cups in the bath. She's pretty terrible on cups as she seems to cough and splutter.

It's very tough. She's on daily osmolax but it doesnt work well without water

iwanttosleepin

one of my kids (a teenager) only drinks water with ice in it. Worth a try.

EmmDasher

It's very tough. She's on daily osmolax but it doesnt work well without water

We started on Parachoc at that age in milk from memory. It was quite effective but getting the right dose was a bit tricky. It works differently too - kind of makes the poops oily & slippery. We eventually transitioned to movicol.

Wonderstruck

We started on Parachoc at that age in milk from memory. It was quite effective but getting the right dose was a bit tricky. It works differently too - kind of makes the poops oily & slippery. We eventually transitioned to movicol.

I think movicol and osmolax are very similar :)

She just likes to give me grey hair!

EmmDasher

Oops I misunderstood, never mind!

Edited by EmmDasher

MrsG2

Wonderstruck

She's actually worse at day care which sucks

MrsG2
:(, I’m sorry wonderstruck , that sounds so difficult . Especially when added to feeding difficulties, reflux and constipation .. hoping it all gets better very soon. Try juice, flavored water and fruits as much as you can. You’re doing amazing xx

tinselfoil hat

I’m sure you’ve tried everything but my girl who is a similar age is much more likely to eat things if she prepares them. For example, a smoothie that she’s put the fruit into the blender or ice blocks she’s assembled and frozen. Have you tried novelty curly straws?

afterlaughter

You have probably tried this but Can you drink water in a fancy bottle that’s has appealing colours/decorations and not offer it to her just drink your self, sure fire way for my kids to come racing over wanting to “share” which means take it off me and drink.

Edited by afterlaughter
  • Like 1

Caribou

You have probably tried this but Can you drink water in a fancy bottle that’s has appealing colours/decorations and not offer it to her just drink your self, sure fire way for my kids to come racing over wanting to “share” which means take it off me and drink.

I know what you mean, my DS will drink water the most, if it comes from everyone else's bottle but his.

Pooks_

DD is similar. Including the constipation and we think she’s lactose intolerant. Things we’ve done:

Osmolax stirred into yoghurt or custard

Cordial

Chocolate milk

Wow cup

Colour changing toys in water

Baby doll with bottle

Reward finished wow cup with a Hatchimal

With any luck something in there might be a new idea. You have my empathy.

Wonderstruck

Thanks all. We saw the speechie today who is encouraging us to keep trying and offering pureed fruit or jelly after meals.

Slowly slowly hopefully we will get there.

Thanks for the words of encouragement

Hands Up

Neither of my kids are big water drinkers. So painful. Cycling through different water bottles helps, as do milkshakes (made at home with fruit, yoghurt, milk and water). I give a small amount of dried apricots when an extra boost is required to get things moving, and the younger one is on 5ml parachoc per day which is enough for him. We also give juice once a day which is actually one 1/5 juice. They’ll drink about 300 mls of that in one hit.

I like the idea of food dye. I’m going to try that.

Jiraffe

My little one was non-Ige CMPI, but thankfully now seems to have grown out of it. From the age of 9 months she refused any milk (and we tried every single type of plant milk and formula) and since then has just been having 200ml water or less each day. The dietician assures me she gets enough fluids from her food. Interestingly, when we saw a different paed when DD was around 18 months old, they suggested her Osmolax dose was too high and was having the opposite of the desired effect and making her even more constipated because of the lack of fluids. I was skeptical but cut the Osmolax out slowly and amazingly her bowels have been better.

It’s still disconcerting to see other kids her age having multiple bottles at daycare and she just has her one little water bottle.

Pooks_

The osmolax works in fruit purée too.