tobemommy

Lindfield Public school (Sydney) ?

tobemommy

Hello mums !

Just wondering if any of you are in Lindfield and surrounds and know how is Lindfield public school. We are currently discussing about buying an apartment near a good public school / public transport (prefer train over bus) so wanted to know a bit more about the schools in Sydney North Shore !

Editing to add that my son would be in Kindergarten in 2020

Thank you !

Edited by tobemommy

Moonl!ght

It’s a good school. A little bit of a concrete jungle as it’s grown so much. It has a swimming pool and a growing Asian population. Courtesy of it having a large population it has a Strings ensemble from Year 1 and other programs you might not get until later years at smaller schools. Negatives is a spot in OOSH is harder to get. Nearby Killara Public and Beaumont Rd have more grass to play and you will almost certainly get an OOSH spot.

Another consideration is Lindfield Learning Village. The learning model is quite different there and will benefit some children over others. I assume they will announce a Primary school catchment at some point.

Edited by Moonl!ght
  • Like 2

CallMeFeral

Another consideration is Lindfield Learning Village. The learning model is quite different there and will benefit some children over others. I assume they will announce a Primary school catchment at some point.

Was looking at this school and wishing we were in catchment. It looks amazing!

• Like 1

Jennifaraway

I went to Lindfield back in the 1980s - it wasn't bad then (and my dad went there in the 1950s!). It's so handy for a school to have a pool for swimming lessons. Living on a train line in the North Shore is good too - it makes accessing the city (and private schools if you go that way in the future) really easy.

I'd say any school on the North Shore is going to be good, just because of the high parental expectations in the area in general and the relatively wealthy demographic. So really, pick an area you like (and can afford) and have a look at the school in zone.

• Like 1

tobemommy

It’s a good school. A little bit of a concrete jungle as it’s grown so much. It has a swimming pool and a growing Asian population. Courtesy of it having a large population it has a Strings ensemble from Year 1 and other programs you might not get until later years at smaller schools. Negatives is a spot in OOSH is harder to get. Nearby Killara Public and Beaumont Rd have more grass to play and you will almost certainly get an OOSH spot.

Thanks @moonlight ! Good point about more grass area ! I will also look into Killara public school perhaps.

The swim pool is the one thing that is drawing me most towards Lindfield...

I never knew about the Lindfield Learning Village ! Sounds very very exciting.. wonder if any parents on here have their kids in that school ? Would be great to listen to some first hand feedback.

Thanks again !

Kreme

Was looking at this school and wishing we were in catchment. It looks amazing!

They don’t have a catchment at the moment. It’s expected that there will be one from 2020, however the school is planned to grow to around 2000 students, so they’re expecting to accept out of area students during the growth process. The learning model won’t suit everyone and the north shore has a great fondness for private schools, so I don’t think they will fill up just from their catchment in the immediate future.

OP you’ve probably missed the boat for LLV for 2020. I suspect they’ve closed their waiting list but you could call and check.

• Like 1

Moonl!ght

It's a model that won't suit every parent or child so I do wonder how the catchments will work. It would be unfortunate if families can't opt out and go to the next nearest high school or primary school if they don't like the model.

OP, the school is student centred and student directed and they use Transformative learning. It's not a traditional education model. For example, children don't put up hands but learn when to interject etc. They call teachers by their first names. They have a large proportion of children with special needs. My understanding is that children can leave the classroom at any time and go to small rooms if they need space or to get away from noise etc. A higher proportion of children than normal wear noise cancelling headphones etc.

People I know of, at the school seem happy, but they opted into the model so it works for them. Saying that, I know people at the school that have private tutors outside of school to keep up with the accademics. But in itself that is a normal activity on the north shore - whether a kid is in a public or private school, high school or primary, selective or non selective, old model or new model. Tutoring isn't about to go out of business!

Edited by Moonl!ght

seayork2002

a bit hard to say 100% this early on but think high school as well, we are thankfully in a catchment for what turns out to be a 'good' (as much as can be said of any school) high school BUT this was not any planning on our part just a coincidence.

It is not something we thought of for when thinking of FYOS and we probably should have!

a bit different if you already live in a place but if you are making a deliberate move maybe something to be thought of - although yes a high school now may be different in years to come

Edited by seayork2002

Literally Literary

Looking a looooooooooong way into the future, you may want to check that your rented/purchased property falls within the Killara High catchment area. It is virtually impossible to get in as an out of zone student.

• Like 2

Kreme

I don’t think they should introduce a catchment for LLV because it is a school that won’t work for everyone. I’ve toured and there’s a lot to like. They have a higher than usual percentage of gifted children who are attracted by being able to progress at their own pace.

It will be interesting to see how it goes.

Moonl!ght

I don’t think they should introduce a catchment for LLV because it is a school that won’t work for everyone. I’ve toured and there’s a lot to like. They have a higher than usual percentage of gifted children who are attracted by being able to progress at their own pace.

It will be interesting to see how it goes.

I agree with you. As long as the enrolment policy gives some precedence to taking pressure off local, at capacity schools, it would be good for the catchment to remain open.

QuirkyMum

They don’t have a catchment at the moment. It’s expected that there will be one from 2020, however the school is planned to grow to around 2000 students, so they’re expecting to accept out of area students during the growth process. The learning model won’t suit everyone and the north shore has a great fondness for private schools, so I don’t think they will fill up just from their catchment in the immediate future.

OP you’ve probably missed the boat for LLV for 2020. I suspect they’ve closed their waiting list but you could call and check.

OP, sorry to highjack.

Kreme, could you please tell more about the model and how it is different from regular schools?

All I know it is K-12 campus ( and campus doesn't look any different to the way uts campus looked like).

Kreme

Look I’ve only toured so I’m not an expert. And I was really looking at the high school as that’s what we are considering.

General observations:

- it’s project based learning that is student led. Teacher is a facilitator and mentor.

- classrooms are open plan with a number of different learning spaces within. Kids can choose to work in the spaces that they prefer. Teacher will sometimes bring them together for group discussions

- whole school is very student led. Big emphasis on student voice. They select the extra curricular groups that operate etc.

- they have some uniform items but wearing it is optional

- students call teachers by first names. No bells, no putting hand up to speak. Very much treats kids as equals.

-school structure is several home bases (currently 1, ultimately 5 or 6?) of 350 kids K-12. Aim to foster cross-grade connections.

-students are in stage groups within the home base. So stage 1 is year 1&2 together. Kids can progress at their own pace. They set their own learning goals in consultation with the teacher and once they demonstrate they’ve met those goals they move on.

- timetabling is done across grades to facilitate kids moving to higher grades for particular subjects.

- no formal assessment tasks, tests or exams (until mandated HSC). I didn’t ask about naplan but assume they do it.

-they are opening at least one new home base in 2020, possibly 2. So numbers will go to either 700 or 1000ish

That’s all that I can think of now. We have applied for our son for year 7 next year but no guarantee he will get in. And we will weigh it up against other options.

• Like 1

QuirkyMum

Look I’ve only toured so I’m not an expert. And I was really looking at the high school as that’s what we are considering.

General observations:

- it’s project based learning that is student led. Teacher is a facilitator and mentor.

- classrooms are open plan with a number of different learning spaces within. Kids can choose to work in the spaces that they prefer. Teacher will sometimes bring them together for group discussions

- whole school is very student led. Big emphasis on student voice. They select the extra curricular groups that operate etc.

- they have some uniform items but wearing it is optional

- students call teachers by first names. No bells, no putting hand up to speak. Very much treats kids as equals.

-school structure is several home bases (currently 1, ultimately 5 or 6?) of 350 kids K-12. Aim to foster cross-grade connections.

-students are in stage groups within the home base. So stage 1 is year 1&2 together. Kids can progress at their own pace. They set their own learning goals in consultation with the teacher and once they demonstrate they’ve met those goals they move on.

- timetabling is done across grades to facilitate kids moving to higher grades for particular subjects.

- no formal assessment tasks, tests or exams (until mandated HSC). I didn’t ask about naplan but assume they do it.

-they are opening at least one new home base in 2020, possibly 2. So numbers will go to either 700 or 1000ish

That’s all that I can think of now. We have applied for our son for year 7 next year but no guarantee he will get in. And we will weigh it up against other options.

Oh. That IS different ( to most schools).

Thanks Kreme.

tobemommy

That is great info Thank you @Kreme !!

I think we might be a bit too late for LLV - will give it a shot although the teaching methods sound so different need to make sure we are 100% onboard before we commit !

Good point about the Killara High catchment @Literally Literary !

I will try and book a tour for Lindfield and Killara in the upcoming weeks and see how I go. OOSH will likely be a deciding factor too as both of us work in the city