ERipley

How are your FYOS kids doing?

ERipley

Mine is going feral. He’s picked up every possible bit of attitude and irritating behaviour possible. I would self-diagnose oppositional defiance disorder at this point. :|

How is everyone else doing?

Kiwi Bicycle

5 weeks of the teacher telling me about bad behavior, nightmares, behaviour regression, toileting accidents, 3 head hit accidents I had to be phoned about and worrying that school refusal may happen.

Then a nice comment in the diary from the teacher and an award before end of term and cross fingers he's settling in.

It's not been easy.

ERipley

Ozquoll

22Fruitmincepies

First week back after the holidays was horrible, so many tantrums. So far she’s been coping much better this week, especially this morning when she handled two disappointments really well.

nom_de_plume

Mine loves school, loves her teacher and seems to be making a good little group of friends. We’ve had a few birthday parties and play dates, and she is doing very well academically.

She is still really tired at the end of the day/week (not a bad thing in itself), but it manifests itself in bad behaviour. She yells at us, swears, refuses to do homework (just a reader and occasionally a worksheet) and is just generally a little so and so, which causes tension at home after school. This part I’m not so happy about and it’s exhausting. I’m hoping it’s a phase and will settle down.

Lady Sybil Vimes

My ADHD DS2 is loving everything about it, surprisingly. I had sleepless nights worrying about how he’D go after struggling with preschool and it turns out the structure and fast-pace of the learning suits him very well. Total opposite of the experience I had with DH1. Holding my breath and hoping it continues going well.

countrychic29

my DD is loving school but is putting everything into 'being the best student she can be' her words - that it is regularly falling apart at home

She is tired and cant get a handle on emotions at the moment so it escalates big time.

It has been a massive year for all of us so far, i never really believed it would be but now realise that it is true.

JomoMum

I feel lucky so far - my anxious little Aspie has mostly liked being at school . Seems to be getting along with people and not come across any bullies or situations he can’t handle yet.

This sounds like our son. Minus the official diagnosis yet.

OP in sorry you’re both having a hard time x

He’s going very well academically - well, the teacher can’t figure out his reading level as every time she gives him a new book the next level up, he reads it. But he’s only been there 4 weeks (we had to move school last term), so I’ll give it another few weeks before I find out some more on that.

He’s pretty oblivious to what goes on socially, so plays with whoever is around and doesn’t give it much though or worry.

Loves going in the morning, eats all his food etc. Has a few new friends and some old from daycare but nothing solid yet.

ERipley

Mine loves school, loves her teacher and seems to be making a good little group of friends. We’ve had a few birthday parties and play dates, and she is doing very well academically.

She is still really tired at the end of the day/week (not a bad thing in itself), but it manifests itself in bad behaviour. She yells at us, swears, refuses to do homework (just a reader and occasionally a worksheet) and is just generally a little so and so, which causes tension at home after school. This part I’m not so happy about and it’s exhausting. I’m hoping it’s a phase and will settle down.

That behaviour sounds very familiar. It’s driving me up the wall. We’re late or have to cancel everything because he just refuses to use the toilet or get dressed or whatever it is. Then when it’s finally done he cries because we couldn’t get to the class or whatever in time. He has if tantrums over almost nothing but then 5 minutes later he feels horrible about it and is such a darling to his little sisters. Just all over the place basically.

Ozquoll
  • Like 1

kimasa

Really good, but we will see.

A bit of a sh*tstorm has happened at a neighbouring school and her school has taken on an entire class worth of extra preps, so they're hiring a new teacher and creating a whole new prep class.

We find out if she stays in her current class or gets re-allocated next week... or if any of her friends do.

Edited by kimasa

PrincessPeach

Impressively well.

Everyone that was horrified I was sending my April born boy to school the year he turned 5 has had to completely eat their words (We are Qld, if he was a girl no one would have discouraged me).

According to our recent parent/teacher interview he is keeping up academically, socially & maturity wise.

He's totally exhausted still when he comes home, but that seems to be common based on talk between the parents at pick-up.

• Like 2

Summer81

Mine is doing really well he loves it.

Me not so much- a school friend taught him to floss and he does it. All day. Every day.

nom_de_plume

That behaviour sounds very familiar. It’s driving me up the wall. We’re late or have to cancel everything because he just refuses to use the toilet or get dressed or whatever it is. Then when it’s finally done he cries because we couldn’t get to the class or whatever in time. He has if tantrums over almost nothing but then 5 minutes later he feels horrible about it and is such a darling to his little sisters. Just all over the place basically.

I am relieved to hear someone is in the trenches with me! Miss 5 was fine when I picked her up today and took her to gymnastics. Gymnastics finished and there was a melt down over putting on her socks and shoes, and what she wanted for dinner. Then refusing to hold my hand in the car park, so of course I had to grab it and hold tighter than I otherwise would to make sure she didn’t run off, and she yelled and screamed and cried. I am also frequently late or have to skip things because of her behaviour so you’re not alone there either!

ERipley

I am relieved to hear someone is in the trenches with me! Miss 5 was fine when I picked her up today and took her to gymnastics. Gymnastics finished and there was a melt down over putting on her socks and shoes, and what she wanted for dinner. Then refusing to hold my hand in the car park, so of course I had to grab it and hold tighter than I otherwise would to make sure she didn’t run off, and she yelled and screamed and cried. I am also frequently late or have to skip things because of her behaviour so you’re not alone there either!

Oh it’s utterly exhausting! Got to school just in time today. Was fake scream-laughing at his own poo jokes all the way there. I was getting the other kids’ shoes on and coats and he’s just sitting there. Then he just refused to get his shoes on. We saw all the kids go in then suddenly he put his shoes on and we had to get a late slip. He ran with it to his classroom and when I finally caught up he’s sitting in the middle of his class with his hand up answering questions. I put his bag in his locker and left without saying goodbye.

ETA: I didn’t not say goodbye because I was in a huff. He wasn’t looking at me and had clearly not given me a second thought so I didn’t want to disrupt him and the rest of the class.

Edited by ERipley

Kiwi Bicycle

ERipley

EmmDasher

Mine is smashing it. She’s having a lovely time and has settled really well. She was always going to like it though... her personality is totally wired to thriving in the school system. I was most worried about her going to s school where she knew no one and the social adjustment after 4 years at the same daycare. She has surprised me with her resilience.

I am sorry that it hasn’t been a smooth adjustment for you though OP. It must be incredibly stressful :(