PandoBox

whats the best parenting advice, trick or tip you've received or can give/or wish you knew back when

PandoBox

So if you could go back in time to the first time mum you with a baby or a toddler what would be some words of wisdom that you would give yourself?

Whats the best parenting advice, tip or trick you've received or passed on?

Lady Gray

Park near the shopping trolley return thingo instead of near the entrance. Probably not the best tip but the one I use most often.

• Like 30

BrainFart

Do not underestimate the usefulness of a chuck rag !!

• Like 7

Mamabug

Pegs and a fold up shopping bag in the nappy bag!

Noise. Get them used to sleeping when there is noise.

DO YOU!

• Like 1

Meepy

Be comfortable with what you can get done each day and don't be hard on yourself.

• Like 4

~Jolly_F~

Breastfeeding is not the be all and end all, if you don’t want to do it, that’s perfectly ok!

This is your parenting journey, you don’t have to do it the way other tell you, do it your way and be proud of that.

Make the professionals listen when you know something isn’t right, be forceful if you need to be. So many years wasted, which could have been used for early intervention!!

• Like 9

**Tiger*Filly**

If you have a child who keeps escaping from their stroller, thread the stroller straps through their clothing before fastening them. DS was a dreadful absconded and this worked beautifully.

If the child clamps down when breastfeeding and won't let go, push your finger into their cheek between their back jaw. It will make them let go.

If you want to let your child be creative but not end up with a brown mess on their painting, only give them shades of two primary colors to paint with. Eg red, pink, white, light blue, dark blue and purple, but no yellow. Or Bright yellow, pale yellow, white, light green, dark green and shades of blue, but no red.

• Like 9

Lucrezia Bauble

give them a whole mouthful of breast. i mistakenly thought they kind of sucked on the protruding nipple thing they don’t!

my other one is pretty much universally hated here, but it worked for me second time round and i wish i’d known it first time - start where you want to stop. if you dont want to be co sleeping when they’re 3 ...then don’t do it when they’re 12, 18 months - set your routine.

anyway - good luck!

• Like 4

JBH

A lot of the things you think are really important, probably aren’t. Give things due consideration, but don’t obsess. Your time and sanity can be better spent.

• Like 7

lozoodle

I wish I knew that one day I'd look back and realise those moments were so temporary and fleeting and to not sweat the small stuff as much as I did. It all seems so irrelevant now.

• Like 7

born.a.girl

They won't be doing it at 20.

(That was from my sister, who had four before me.)

You can pretty much blame everything from two months to twenty on teething.

(Same sister.)

• Like 10

xx1stxx

Use a capsule, not a reversible car seat. Nothing worse than waking a sleeping baby trying to get them in and out of the car! You don't need to drag the pram out every time you go somewhere and you don't need to find something clean and soft to lay them on while visiting friends etc....plus it doubles as a handbag!

• Like 1

a letter to Elise.

It really doesn’t matter if your baby catnaps. They will probably settle into a routine by themselves anyway, and you will send yourself mad trying to get them to do whatever the baby book say they should.

• Like 7

nasty snaugh

Trust your gut

Ask questions, lots of questions - but at the end of it all, you know yourself and your baby better than anybody else does, even though you've never done this before

• Like 3

Ozquoll

Join a toy library, and ask friends/family not to buy too many toys. They don’t always use the toys for long, or at all, and joining the toy library means you can keep the clutter to a minimum.

• Like 9

~LemonMyrtle~

Don’t listen to parenting advice

Also

If they’re hungry, feed them. Nothing worse than a hungry grumpy baby or child.

Oh and

Not really advice, but more a parenting method. Kick them outside. Rain hail or shine, dress them up, push them out the door, and they will play and have fun.

• Like 11

Dianalynch

This too shall pass. (Say to self during bad eg sleep deprived moments)

• Like 6

Beanette

Nothing bad will happen if you leave the baby to cry for five minutes while you take a shower or have a cup of coffee. Don't forget to take time to care for yourself while you're caring for them.

Join a toy library, and ask friends/family not to buy too many toys. They don’t always use the toys for long, or at all, and joining the toy library means you can keep the clutter to a minimum.

Absolutely!

• Like 4

MooGuru

Trust your gut

Ask questions, lots of questions - but at the end of it all, you know yourself and your baby better than anybody else does, even though you've never done this before

This. Trust your instinct and don't let others get inside your head with their "typical first time mum" type comments.

• Like 3

little lion

Have a go bag packed. Contents depends on the child’s age. My kids are older now so we just have hats, bug spray, water bottle and maybe a jumper in winter. That means you can head out the door as soon as the weather is good, the child is well rested, you get an unexpected invitation etc. Repack the bag at night with fresh snacks and clothes.

• Like 5

cstar

You do not need to have a pristine bedroom for them with perfectly painted walls and Murels and colour co ordinated blankets and sheets and what not, they will not know!!!

• Like 3

Ozquoll

The baby hasn't read the baby book.

This, and also “Just because [insert parenting technique] worked for every other baby you know, doesn’t mean it will work for your baby”.

• Like 4

Noodlez

You may not be perfect and you may not get everything right but you are perfect for your baby.

• Like 2

EmmDasher

Pick your battles wisely.

• Like 8

Claudia Jean

Use a capsule, not a reversible car seat. Nothing worse than waking a sleeping baby trying to get them in and out of the car! You don't need to drag the pram out every time you go somewhere and you don't need to find something clean and soft to lay them on while visiting friends etc....plus it doubles as a handbag!

Yep!! Got a capsule for my second. Worked a treat when going out near her sleep times, I'd feed her and put her in capsule inside, she'd fall asleep then I could just put her in the car when it was time to leave.

My tip would be "don't interfere with a happy baby/toddler". If they're having fun by themselves - leave them to it! The minute you interrupt to feed them/ talk/ ask a question/ etc etc etc the magical peace will disappear.

• Like 1