76 others

Diet starts tomorrow

76 others

Well not diet, but better eating, no snacking, cut done my massive bread intake,cut out sugary drinks and going for nightly walks and some weights. Need to drop about 20kg.

I have bought stuff to make a chicken vegetable soup in my slow cooker for work lunches and I'm going to make fritata with lots of veg for breakfasts and/or quick oats with banana for breakfast.

When I google healthy weight loss recipes it come sup with lots andots of recipes I won't eat. Like hipster kind of crap. What's some good filling easy breakfast, lunches work ones) and dinners. Minus the kale and quinoa and stuff that looks like it'll take an hour to make or has 5 million ingredients and costs a fortune.

Caribou

In woolies there’s a section for health food. There’s some decent filling cereals there. I use the ancient grains Museli and almond milk bc it’s less calories than cows milk plus filling.

Dinners - I just hop into taste and look for meals under 400 calories per serve. To simply it more I swapped rice for cauliflower rice when having curries with meat and veg.

I still use packet sauce, like you no time to do gazillion receipes. But I do try make sure it’s veggie loaded.

Another thing I did was a variety of quiches and frittatas. They’re awesome for freezing as well as pastry hand pies.

I refused to ditch coffee and I’ve been ok without keeping that going while losing weight.

Good luck. It doesn’t have to be complicated :)

• Like 1

Caribou

The really important part is the food you pick should be things you will eat all the time. Even when you reach goal weight. Weight loss is a lifestyle change. Not a diet. :) when I get near my desktop I’ll link some recipes :)

• Like 1

76 others

Thanks. That's a good idea for taste. I can't see where it says the calories only kj and all that.

I just got a smart watch and want to do 10,000 steps a day which sux as I'm at a desk a lot. There is a food part and I've read to win for 1200 calories a day?

The really important part is the food you pick should be things you will eat all the time. Even when you reach goal weight. Weight loss is a lifestyle change. Not a diet. :) when I get near my desktop I’ll link some recipes :)

I agree! I won't last if I'm not enjoying what I eat. Thanks recipes will be great.

76 others

Snacks too please. I actually do eat okish but make some bad choices and bad snack choices for sure and sugary drinks of a night

JBH

For lunch, I tend to work on lots of salad (usually pick 4 or 5 of the following: lettuce, rocket, baby spinach, cucumbers, carrot, fennel, tomatoes, capsicum, carrot, roast beetroot, roast pumpkin), plus protein (usually pick one of roast chicken, hard boiled egg, small tin tuna, 100g tofu, 3 bocconcini), plus 1-2 slices of Burgen bread depending on how hungry I am. In the afternoon i’ll often eat some plain youghurt with a banana or berries.

The CSIRO Total Well-being Diet books have lots of simple recipes.

• Like 1

Caribou

Kjs is just as fine which is what Australia uses. :) it’s just a matter of converting. You can go either way. I use MFP (my fitness pall) to track my food so I am more accountable for what I eat. When I eat out in food courts, I use shops that list their kjs/calories it’s up to you if you want to follow that sort of rule. I found following the CICO method effective. (Calories in calories out, what goes in has to go somewhere) But I also follow low carb (I.e avoid bread and pasta where possible) I enjoy the vegan ravioli pastas for quick meals but they are $7 a packet! :(

As for snacks I’m quite partial to Carmen museli bars because they can sit in my bag until I need it and not go off.

Also, popcorn and pretzels. If you follow the kJ/calorie rule, just make sure you only do per serve.

Food scales are a good way to make sure you get the right serve and not over eat. :)

My fitness pal also has excellent advice and forums for weight loss. A lot of people bit need to exercise. Just better eating.

Dianalynch

The when I’m losing weight diet...

Breakfast - oats, frozen blueberries, cinnamon, water, microwave for 2-3 minutes voila porridge

Lunch - rye crispbread, cherry tomatoes, carrot sticks, cucumber slices, cob of pre cooked cold corn, baby bel cheese or feta or hommus

Snacks - I don’t really snack when I’m losing weight, some dry roasted almonds, dried apricots (4-5) or a handful of sultanas if I’m starving. Sometimes an apple.

Dinner - a pre made curry sauce with a tin of chickpeas, lots of veggies usually broccoli and cauliflower, served with brown rice is a favourite and it’s easy.

ETA I don’t drink alcohol, or any soft drink. Only sparkling or still water or tea with soy milk (unsweetened.) I find I can’t lose weight drinking any sweetened beverage, including diet soft drinks as they seem to make me hungry.

Edited by Dianalynch

Fennel Salad

This is my snack strategy:

Raw nuts (almonds, cashews, pecans, brazils etc) - buy in bulk and comes out cheaper and a few raisins/sultanas for a little sweetness

Pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds

Dried fava (also called faba) beans

Dried chick peas

Peanut butter on crispbread (or substitute youre using)

Fruits like bananas, apples, oranges

Dried coconut strips (aldi ones are great)

Mineral or soda water with squeeze of lime or lemon

Strong, hard, mints

born.a.girl

When you eat rice, do you eat white or brown?

We used to dutifully occasionally have brown, but mostly white, then bit the bullet one day and changed completely to brown and now we prefer it.

What I noticed is that the same weight/cup size of rice we used to cook, ends up with more left over than with white.

We were actually eating fewer calories but felt just as fulfilling.

Agree on the chickpeas, too, great protein if you're reducing calories.

Hands Up

I’ve swapped out all heavy carbs. Cauliflower rice and zoodles all the way. I don’t eat bread anymore.

For lunch I use a bento box and fill it with healthy things I enjoy and snack slowly from midday onwards.

I have almond milk in my coffee.

I drink vodka soda instead of wine or champagne.

Snacks are nuts, a piece of cheese, a small piece of dark chocolate.

I eat loads more greens and have learned some nice ways to cook them (like roasted broccoli).

I’ve lost 12 kilos and two dress sizes this way.

• Like 1

Caribou

Zucchini Noodles with Chicken and Pesto. A time saver is to buy ready made zucchini noodles and pesto. but if you like to make it yourself wouldn't take longer either.

Raspberry muffins - Awesome snacks and great to freeze. dense and filing.

Broccoli Fried Rice. Kids enjoy this one. but I swiped the sweet chilli for soy sauce.

Pumpkin, spinach and Feta Quiche. I always make two of these because its about nigh impossible to get 100g of pumpkin, so I make two of them and freeze the ones I don't use.

Chickpea Curry

Tuscan Bean Soup

Four Bean With Tortilla Chips

I hope that gives you a few things to go on with :)

• Like 4

MooGuru

Banana smoothies are one of my go to things if I'm trying to make better choices and actually eat breakfast. They can be as healthy as you want to make it. I freeze bananas when they start going brown.

- banana

- milk of choice

- cinnamon

- protein powder

- LSA mix

If I'm wanting something really dessert like I add peanut butter and milo.

I'm a grazer so having healthy options that are just as easy as grabbing chips are needed. I love grapes (especially frozen in summer). I really like vegie sticks and dip. I'm too lazy to prepare it 99% of the time so have chips and dip instead. So having a thing of carrot celery etc sticks or cherry tomatoes there and waiting makes it just as easy as grabbing the chips so I have no excuse not to grab them (not that I want to eat chips me is grateful - just disappointed healthy me won.)

Froyo

1200 calories is very low. I'd aim for around 1600.

• Like 2

76 others

A lot of these suggestions are great. Sorry I should've mentioned I have pretty bad ibs and lots of fruits have me running to the bathroom, as does milks (not that much milk has been suggested).

1200 calories is very low. I'd aim for around 1600.

Oh really? I'm sure I've seen 1200 mentioned a lot of times. Thank you!

Caribou

A lot of these suggestions are great. Sorry I should've mentioned I have pretty bad ibs and lots of fruits have me running to the bathroom, as does milks (not that much milk has been suggested).

Oh really? I'm sure I've seen 1200 mentioned a lot of times. Thank you!

diet plans like Michelle Bridges 12wbt encourages 1200 calories. I tried it, I found it really hard, I ended up binge eating more. so I upped my calorie intake to 1500, and its far more sustainable. I don't over eat any more and im still losing weight. it is slower, but I feel its better. when I reach my goal weight, I will go between 1500-1800 calories to maintain my weight.

the calories to lose and maintain weight depends on your current weight and BMI. MFP can help you work out your calorie goal for the day :)

ERipley

I just started my diet today inspired by Caribou’s other thread. On her advice I have downloaded my fitness pal and happy scale. The former says I will have 262 calories left of my 1200 limit after dinner. Nice!

The best thing so far about MFP is that I can enter my own meals and calories and store them for future use. Today I made up a veggie miso soup so I counted it all up (250 cal) and stored it. It lets you store your recipe as well as the name and calories. Before when I was trying to count calories it was incredibly time consuming counting the same meals over and over and always losing the pieces of paper with my sums on them.

• Like 1

Caribou

I hope you're going well with it, ERipley! don't feel too disheartened if nothing shifts in the first few weeks. its normal to take 4-6 weeks for weight to suddenly drop. the older we are, the longer it can take. If 1200 is hard, just up it another 100 until your comfortable :)

Froyo

I lost 23kg eating around 1600 cals/ day. And I've maintained since 2015. Sensible, sustainable lifestyle change works.

I didn't eat anything out of the ordinary, just a sensible, balanced diet. And I stopped overeating. Tuning into hunger and fullness cues was key for me, rather than emotional/ habitual eating and oversized portions.

ETA: I also stopped weighing myself as I found it damaged my mindset. Instead I monitored my waist measurement weekly and took monthly photos.

Edited by Froyo
  • Like 2

~Jolly_F~

https://healthyeater.com/flexible-dieting-calculator

I found this calculator good to work out what my calorie intake should be.

1200 calories is low and I find I can’t maintain that level. I find 1500 - 1700 easier to maintain and this amount doesn’t limit me to always eating completely healthy. I can fit a pasta, rice or Maccas in every now and then!

I also start by focusing on portion sizes by measuring and weighing. I don’t drastically change my diet on day one, it’s easy to maintain if you do it slowly but focus on not overeating. I just try to make better choices.

Also one meal doesn’t ruin your day. Just accept it happened and get back on the wagon the next meal.

Losing weight is a mental game, the food is easier, dealing with the games your mind plays, not so much!

• Like 2

ckmelb

Breakfast - avocado on a small piece of sourdough / seeded bread with some sesame seeds on it. Also peas on toast if that's your thing. Add a boiled egg or fried egg (fry with a bit of olive oil)

Snacks - make your own trail mix by roasting pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, almonds and adding a small amount of sultanas or goji berries. If you add oats it become home made cereal.

Also eat whatever fruit is in season. I saw you mentioned IBS, my gut health improved a lot when I started eating more whole foods so hopefully you get a bit of relief but just pick what works for you.

Greek yoghurt with the trail mix or a banana, cinnamon, chia seeds etc

1 or 2 dates or 1 block of dark choc to get the sweet craving

Roasted chickpeas also a yummy snack

Lunch - soups or dinner leftovers. If eating out I would look for things like poke bowls and do a vegie or quinoa base. Or nice leafy salads without much dressing

Dinner - some lean meat or fish with lots of vegies and add a small amount of brown or black rice or quinoa to fill you up. I would also do a Thai takeaway as a treat but have it with a very small amount of homemade brown rice instead of my usual large scoops of white rice.

Drink loads and loads of water. If you can drink warm water it helps digestion.

I didn't count calories because I wasn't looking to lose weight but not all calories are created equal so be careful about comparing for example a small chocolate bar to a banana as a snack option. Yes they might be the same calories but the banana gives you other benefits which help with overall health and then weight loss. So load up on vegies and good things to fill you up ... and they will most likely come out nicely on the other side (sorry if TMI but it's true).

Efs

Edited by ckmelb
  • Like 1

ERipley

I hope you're going well with it, ERipley! don't feel too disheartened if nothing shifts in the first few weeks. its normal to take 4-6 weeks for weight to suddenly drop. the older we are, the longer it can take. If 1200 is hard, just up it another 100 until your comfortable :)

I was actually going to do 1500 but then MFP automatically selected 1200 for me. I don’t know how to change it! I said I want to lose .5kg per week so I guess I need to go back and input some other goal. It’s been fine/easy today and I still have room for a glass of wine but I know it’s going to get dramatically harder when I don’t have time to cook something healthy because my kids are going feral, or when the awful PMS hits. The best help I have found for that is to stuff my face all day but yeah, here we are.

The other thing I’m liking about this app is that I don’t want to have to search for and input the billion little snacks that I usually eat all day long. It’s helped me not snack today and it makes me realise how much I’m usually eating just in little bits.

Cimbom

Monitor the portion sizes. A lot of the time, it can be an issue with the size rather than what's in the meal. Plate sizes are getting bigger in recent years and it contributes to you subconsciously having bigger servings. Getting some new plates and containers may help limit this.

Also alcohol is another source of calories that many don't think of. 2 glasses of wine has almost the same amount of calories as a whole meal. Alcohol also slows down weight loss as it changes your metobolism making it focus on the alcohol instead of burning calories in general

Edited by Cimbom

Froyo

I was actually going to do 1500 but then MFP automatically selected 1200 for me. I don’t know how to change it! I said I want to lose .5kg per week so I guess I need to go back and input some other goal. It’s been fine/easy today and I still have room for a glass of wine but I know it’s going to get dramatically harder when I don’t have time to cook something healthy because my kids are going feral, or when the awful PMS hits. The best help I have found for that is to stuff my face all day but yeah, here we are.

The other thing I’m liking about this app is that I don’t want to have to search for and input the billion little snacks that I usually eat all day long. It’s helped me not snack today and it makes me realise how much I’m usually eating just in little bits.

You can manually change your calorie target in MFP, that's what I did.

Jane Jetson

Following...

I've been thinking about doing Weight Watchers again... that is, calculating my own points and using recipes from about 2003, back before Weight Watchers got so punitive. I've found a bunch of old recipes that I wouldn't mind going back to.

What I always liked about WW was that everything was permissible if the maths added up. If you thought low-fat cheese tasted like rubbery over-processed flavourless crap, for example - which it does - nobody's forcing you to eat it: just pay your three points for a matchbox-sized serve of real cheese. WW is not like that any more, sadly.