Sign in to follow this  
ERipley

Tinnitus comes and goes for 5yo. Help?

ERipley

A few weeks back my son had a hearing test which case back with a perfect result. It has since become apparent he has tinnitus that comes and goes, sometimes one ear, sometimes both ears. When he has this his behaviour is noticeably worse, he won’t do as he’s told, won’t respond. He says it’s very loud in his ears and he has trouble hearing things. When it’s not there he’s fine. He says he has had this on and off since he can remember.

Has anyone else had a child with this? Was there a solution? We’re seeing his paediatrician soon but I would love some advice from anyone who has been there or knows about this.

Thank you!

miss mia

Poor little guy, how terrible it must be for him. Did you have the hearing test done through an ENT?

I don’t know about this in young children. But I had a an intermittent noise in my ear, sometimes it was so loud I couldn’t hear anything except the noise. My ENT sent me to have an M RI on it nd they found a clot in my head. (I’m not saying that to worry you, what I experienced was really rare ).

The ENT and neurosurgeon both said that there were ways and techniques that could help me live with the tinnitus if I needed it.

Good luck, I wish you both a really speedy resolution.

Both of my surgeons were in Eastern suburbs of Sydney if you need a recommendation

Veritas Vinum Arte

I have lived my whole life with it. It is constant ringing in my ears. Sometimes it becomes painfully loud.

I don’t have any suggestions but sympathy for you DS.

ERipley

Thank you! We’re in Melbourne. We had a recommendation for an ENT but he doesn’t do tinnitus so still looking. An audiologist did the hearing test.

Was your tinnitus fixed or made better in any way? That sounds so hard. He’s been dealing with this for so long I think. He had lots of ear infections as a toddler and now has done speech issues.

ERipley

I have lived my whole life with it. It is constant ringing in my ears. Sometimes it becomes painfully loud.

I don’t have any suggestions but sympathy for you DS.

That’s so sad. Do you know what caused it?

Veritas Vinum Arte

No idea. It was many years before I realised it was not normal as I can never remember life without it. It is more distracting when it turns up and becomes painful.

It is like trying to describe colourblindness, someone who is colourblind can’t tell you how what they see is different because that is what they have always seen. It is only when someone points out something is identified incorrectly that they realise they may have an issue.

ETA: I am borderline, my father profoundly colourblind (only correctly identifies yellow) and DH is red-green and DD is colourblind too.

Edited by Veritas Vinum Arte
  • Like 1

Veritas Vinum Arte

I should add that it caused most problems in primary school. Maybe it was learning to live with it in school environment, but I do remember many medical appointments without any benefit at that age.

smilinggirl

Your poor son, I am sorry.

For the past 20 years I have had pulsitile tinnitus which is where I hear my pulse beating in my ear. To a degree, I don’t notice it much anymore but if something happens to increase my pulse, then the noise gets really loud.

The only treatment I tried was blood pressure tablets but they made me too dizzy. I don’t know what the treatment is for children. I have heard of white noise being used.

I hope you find something that works for him.

• Like 1

miss mia

Thank you! We’re in Melbourne. We had a recommendation for an ENT but he doesn’t do tinnitus so still looking. An audiologist did the hearing test.

Was your tinnitus fixed or made better in any way? That sounds so hard. He’s been dealing with this for so long I think. He had lots of ear infections as a toddler and now has done speech issues.

For me, I had surgery to remove the clot and it has fixed the noises in my ear. A great ENT will be able to help diagnose the problem and help with ways to manage it. Find the very best you can. Without my ENT and Neurosurgeon I don’t know how I would have coped. Maybe ask for Melb recommendations on here, I think I asked on here for my ENT.

ERipley

Thanks everyone. I noticed him moving his jaw around when it was bad yesterday and it seems like he has some sort of pressure there too that is relieved a little when he moves his jaw. Not sure if it helps the tinnitus though, I will have to ask him.

He is having a hard time with it at school I think. I think it’s hard for him to tune into the group or his teacher when he has it.

BornToLove

That’s so sad. Do you know what caused it?

I have tinnitus in my right ear for the last two years. In my case, it was caused by a viral ear infection that cause some damage to my inner ear. If the tinnitus is his only symptom - no balance issues, no loss of hearing, no build up of wax, etc - it’s highly likely this may be the cause.

There isn’t a permanent solution, but find pink noise really helpful especially at night or when I need to focus. I like the widx apps. Look for pink noise, white noise is too repetitive and the tinnitus can ‘catch’ on to it, pink noise changes and helps block out the ringing. Apparently hearing aids can also help, but it’s an expensive solution and for me personally it’s more of an annoyance that severe issue.

I can recommend an ENT if your in the northern suburbs. Lovely ENT who knows her stuff with tinnitus.

Kiwi Bicycle

My father in law wears hearing aids for tinnitis. My SIL is an audiologist and you can get them to work rather like noise cancelling headphones.

ERipley

I have tinnitus in my right ear for the last two years. In my case, it was caused by a viral ear infection that cause some damage to my inner ear. If the tinnitus is his only symptom - no balance issues, no loss of hearing, no build up of wax, etc - it’s highly likely this may be the cause.

There isn’t a permanent solution, but find pink noise really helpful especially at night or when I need to focus. I like the widx apps. Look for pink noise, white noise is too repetitive and the tinnitus can ‘catch’ on to it, pink noise changes and helps block out the ringing. Apparently hearing aids can also help, but it’s an expensive solution and for me personally it’s more of an annoyance that severe issue.

I can recommend an ENT if your in the northern suburbs. Lovely ENT who knows her stuff with tinnitus.

I would love that recommendation! Thank you!!

He has definitely got balance issues but his OT thinks it’s dyspraxia/developmental coordination disorder. This makes me wonder though. He’s quite sensitive to sound too. Sound familiar at all?

ERipley

My father in law wears hearing aids for tinnitis. My SIL is an audiologist and you can get them to work rather like noise cancelling headphones.

I had no idea you could get this for tinnitus. That makes me so hopeful for him! I can’t imagine how stressful it must be.

LittleMissPink
For the past 20 years I have had pulsitile tinnitus which is where I hear my pulse beating in my ear. To a degree, I don’t notice it much anymore but if something happens to increase my pulse, then the noise gets really loud.

I have the same, for the last 5 years. I have found mine has reduced as Ive got used to it. Ive also found that having something for my ears to focus on, reduces the noise- so we always have the tv or radio on.

But it can be very distracting, and for a while before I was diagnosed, I thought I was losing my hearing in that ear. Very frustrating, especially when trying to listen to someone talking, or the tv with the loud thumping happening in my ear!

An appointment with an ENT who deals with tinnitus might be a good idea. It certainly helped me understand it, and gave me options to help it. It cant usually be cured unless there is a medical issue in the ear or brain, but learning to live with it can be done.