ERipley

How much do you pay for children’s piano lessons?

LucyGoose

$35 for 30mins at school.

My DD started 5-10mins a day, now probably 30mins most days after 3 years of playing.

She has between 10-30mins of theory a week.

Sancti-claws

$119/month for piano - which is for a 30 minute lesson once a week during school terms (and sweet fa during holidays but we still pay...) -buy our own books.

There is an instrumental music program at (local state) school which is the cost of the hire of the instrument first year ($50) but if they continue you have to bring your own instrument.

Kicking and screaming to get 10-15 minutes practice a day - DH would prefer each instrument get practiced, but I am willing to concede at each being practiced 3x a week.

Phascogale

Was paying $33 for a 30 minute piano lesson last year. Now paying $35 for 30 min flute lesson.

CrankyM

Practice is dependant on the songs and homework. Our teacher doesn’t like kids to over practice as it can lead to mistakes becoming ingrained which is harder to fix. Normal practice is 15-20mins 5-6 times a week.

Threelittleducks

Our DD and DS practice 10 minutes a day. But DS is super keen and easily does an hour spread out over the day.

hills mum bec

$28 for 30 minutes here.

JoanJett

Thanks for all the information! I don’t have a problem paying that if it’s the going rate. It’s a skill and she should be paid a living wage to share that skill. He learns at his primary school during class time and he needs it to break up the day so that’s an added bonus.

Out of interest, how much are your children required to practice? My son practices 4 very short songs each night and some finger exercises. It should take about 10 minutes but he drags it out. I almost canceled the lessons because it’s such a pain but he has begged me to let him continue. I couldn’t imagine if it took any longer.

How old is your son?

I have one son learning a second instrument, so I aim for four times per week for each instrument for longer periods. As he is keener about his second instrument and he is just starting, it tends to take precedence.

My other son loves to practise in the morning - not sure our neighbours love hearing piano at 7am, but thankfully we can turn the volume down on the digital piano.

It sounds like he is enjoying his instrument practise - if he wants to practise longer, or have some "free" time on the piano, that's a really good thing. There will be fits and starts - if you're not under pressure doing exams, it's fine to go with the flow and keep his enthusiasm up, as that will serve him better in the long run.

Sincerely

It really is all about the practice.

I paid $10 per child for an afterschool group lesson (of six), for thirty minutes once a week, when my younger two were in primary. DS, then in Yr 4, practiced so hard, by the end of the year he had finished all of the teacher's books. He then just kept practising by himself, about an hour a day, following You tube performers, especially Jarrod Radnich. After he won the school talent quest, he was motivated to practise two hours a day, playing Grade 8 & A Mus pieces. He calibrates himself against a classmate who is formally learning Grade 8. He won a couple of Eistedfodd first prizes last year. Now, he is composing his own pieces to perform.

Edited by Sincerely
  • Like 1

Hypnic Jerk

$33 for 30 mins. Violin, but all instruments are the same price.

tiggy2

$40 for half hour piano lesson through school. $48 for half hour private vocal lesson through music school.

eachschoolholidays

$45 per child for 30 mins at our house, so $90 for the two of them

foofoo

Piano is $33 for 30 minute private lesson.

Cello is through school and is $125 per term for a 40 min group session.

DD practices each instrument about 15 minutes each day. She also plays ukulele which she would play at least an hour each day.

Edited by foofoo

Hypnic Jerk

Regarding practice, it was DD who wanted to learn the violin (in comparison to when I booked her in for keyboard without her wanting to do it).

So I’ve said she must practice 3 times/week - Mon, Wed and one day in the weekend. She has sports training on Tues and Thurs so I figured this is more manageable and the expectation is clear, though I do have to tell her to do it.

Sometimes she will complain she doesn’t want to practice - and then an hour later she’s still going.

Newbutoldish

I pay $62 for an hour lesson on a Saturday.

Wahwah

I pay $55 for two kids for an hour, but we often go 15 minutes over. So pretty cheap in my books, especially because it's cash, paid weekly. We miss one week a term on average and thus don't pay that week.

In terms of practice, it's 4 times a week for piano. It's about all they can fit in, given they do other stuff like sport and dance.

EPZ

My DD practices violin for 20mins before school every day. She chose to do exams so constant practice does make a difference.

kimasa

$30 for 30mins

ERipley

$30 for 30mins

How???

EPZ

I pay $40 for 50 mins of violin.

ETA - meant to be 45 mins but they usually go over.

Edited by RuntotheRiver

RichardParker

$38 for 30 minutes, paid per term in advance.

Seems to be the going rate, regardless of teacher expertise. My mum paid similar for me 25 years ago to a teacher with much less experience and skill. I’m really happy with DS’s teacher- I decided to take lessons myself.

Edited by RichardParker

iwanttosleepin

I pay $30 for 30 minutes for guitar lessons. The teacher is a retired school science teacher and plays in a band rather than being a traditional music teacher. Sometimes they sing and sometimes play the drums. I don't really care what they get up to.

I don't push practice. He does not do Eisteddfords or Exams and his sole goal is to play in a band - he can also sing. I've heard him and his mates practice in their 'band'. There will be no recording contracts any time soon. If the stars align he may play in a pub one Sunday afternoon in about 30 years time!

I am the opposite of a Tiger mum when it comes to music.....

Edited by iwanttosleepin
  • Like 1

ERipley

I’m not a tiger mum either but I’m not going to spend $900 per year on piano lessons if he isn’t going to practice. He can do it on YouTube if that’s the level of dedication.

• Like 2

CrankyM

If I’m laying $400 a term I require 15 mins of practice a day, non negotiable. However in saying that, I think it’s also age related. If I remember correctly you son is only in his first year of school. Maybe he’s a bit young yet for the committeemen that comes with learning an instrument?

In saying that, my oldest does piano for reasons other then learning an instrument. It’s like a variation of music therapy for him. He gets more out of it then learning and instrument. And it’s cheaper then other therapy, which is often $90/30mins.

ERipley

If I’m laying $400 a term I require 15 mins of practice a day, non negotiable. However in saying that, I think it’s also age related. If I remember correctly you son is only in his first year of school. Maybe he’s a bit young yet for the committeemen that comes with learning an instrument?

In saying that, my oldest does piano for reasons other then learning an instrument. It’s like a variation of music therapy for him. He gets more out of it then learning and instrument. And it’s cheaper then other therapy, which is often $90/30mins.

Ugh, I would pull him out in a heartbeat but he begs me to let him do it! He really enjoys it when he’s in the mood. It is actually physical therapy for my son too. He needs the coordination practice. There are other things we could do if hated it but he’s doing ok.

Edited by ERipley

kimasa

How???

I don't know? That's just what they charge.