new beginning

HPV - anyone else test positive

new beginning

Ok, so a month ago I had to go back and see the dr about my HPV test results . I am pretty sure she said I have low grade and will re test in 12 months . She said I didn’t have the 2 main ones that cause cancer. Other than telling me not to worry and that it will more than likely clear on its own I didn’t get any other information.

I was with my husband for 23 years and always had clear results . Since becoming single I have casually been with 1 other guy a few times . Stupid me - no protection . Would I have caught this from him or could it have been dormant for years and years? If I meet anyone or see this same guy again do I need to tell them? Do I need to stop having sex until it’s cleared ?

I am a tad confused about the whole thing . I have googled and it’s made me more confused. A lot of reading goes into Genital warts - I’m freaking out a bit .

Thanks for your time

Edited by new beginning

Octopodes

Something like 80% of the population will have sexually transmitted HPV in their lives. It can lay dormant for years, symptomless. This might be helpful in answering your questions.

https://www.hpv.com.au/

• Like 1

The new test looks for HPV in the first instance, and only looks at your cells if the HPV is positive. This is the complete opposite to the old Pap smear- which looked at the cells and only looked for HPV if the cells were abnormal.

If you have a 12 month follow up you most certainly have the low risk HPV subtype. A high risk would require immediate action.

You may have had the HPV for many years and not known, as the old test would not have looked for it, and obviously your cervical cells are not abnormal. Unlike the better known, nasty sexually transmitted infections, HPV is everywhere, is mostly asymptomatic (with the exception of cervical cancer, which even then is usually very slow growing) and tracing it or even trying to work out where you got it from is a waste of energy. HPV can be passed through non-penetrative intercourse, oral sex and even with condoms. It can also come and go.

In summary: don’t stress about it. Just do the follow up that is recommended and you’ll be just fine.

• Like 3

new beginning

Thank you both so much for the information.

So should I be telling a future partner or previous people who I have been ?

• Like 1

Only if it comes up in conversation!

It’s not like the notifiable STIs (chlamydia, gonorrhoea, HIV etc) where you are legally obliged to tell partners. As far as I am aware, there is no known risk to males, and the only risk to females with low grade subtypes is the very low chance of cervical cancer and the inconvenience of frequent cervical screening tests.

tryagain2

It’s not like the notifiable STIs (chlamydia, gonorrhoea, HIV etc) where you are legally obliged to tell partners. As far as I am aware, there is no known risk to males, and the only risk to females with low grade subtypes is the very low chance of cervical cancer and the inconvenience of frequent cervical screening tests.

I have to say I can't comment on the "low grade subtypes" because that part goes over my head. But HPV as broad diagnosis is still a cancer risk for men - penile, anal and throat. Throat especially seems to be increasing as a result of HPV infections.

• Like 1

Katerina 34

Nope- don’t need to discuss with future partners. It’s everywhere and condoms do not prevent spread. Most people will clear the virus. The new test is looking for those who haven’t which puts them at greater risk of the cellular changes that lead to cervical cancer. They know that in the first few years of being sexually active, almost everyone will text positive for HPV which is why first testing is at 5 years. Most people would have cleared it by then. You are in a different situation where you are “newly sexually active” after being with the same partner for over 20 years. Yes you cannot tell whether this is a reactivation of a previous infection or you have had it for a long time and never cleared it or this is a new infection of HPV from the new sexual contact. Just follow the recommendations of a repeat smear s directed to make sure you have cleared the virus.

Lou-bags

Not true that it is no risk to males. HPV can cause anal cancer in men (and women), and also throat and oropharyngeal cancer. And penile cancer too I believe.

It’s why boys should also be vaccinated. Not just for the health of their future partners (one of the most commonly cited reasons I’ve heard) but for their own health too.

• Like 1

Soontobegran

Yes, I agree Lou-bags.

Boys are vaccinated for a reason and I’d be mighty peeved if my son was intimate with someone with HPV and she did not tell him.

People need to let go of the supposed shame..... it’s common, it can have devastating impact on males and females but it can be prevented.

Oriental lily

Yeah that’s why Michael Douglas said cunninglus caused his throat cancer .Of course people thought he was being crass but it would of had truth to it if it was caused by the HPV virus .

Good to know, I learned something today!

new beginning
Posted (edited)

So I had my 12 month follow up a few months ago and I still have the HPV but no changes to my cells.

I was referred to a Gyno because I've had 2 abnormal smears in a row.  I had my appointment today and he couldn't see any cell changes . I thought he might have done another HPV test so I asked him if I have my next  test 1 year from my last one, he replied he would go 1 year from today but that's just him. I told him how much the HPV side of things was worrying me and he said if it was then to go back 12 months after my last test.

I have asked my GP twice now if I need to tell future partners about my HPV and twice the GP has said no . I am so confused.....I have talked to family members and they have said to trust what the GP has told me.

I have googled and googled and that has made me even more anxious.......I feel like my sex and dating life won't be the same until i get a clear result.

Edited by new beginning

Soontobegran
Posted (edited)

If you have active HPV any partner you have will likely share it. I think your GP is wrong to advise non disclosure to future partners if you are still testing positive, I would just ask myself what would I think if a partner gave it to me when they had it but did not inform me.

Please do not stress too much, this is a terribly common problem which can be well managed with testing and then regular checks but I believe that if your last test was still positive you need to disclose. It will clear itself, generally within a couple of years so you are not destined to be positive for ever but as you know you'll still need to check for cell changes.

Good luck, hopefully next test will be negative. Have you subsequently had the vaccine ?

Edited by Soontobegran
  • Like 1

new beginning
Posted (edited)

Thanks  soontobegran

I think I’m beating myself up about it because I’ve had one relationship since splitting with my husband and  I followed the Drs advice and I didn’t tell him ......  

No one has ever offered me the vaccine or talked to me about it - I had no idea that I could have it . My children have been vaccinated with the school program . The Gyno asked me if I’d taken up the free vaccine they offered years ago but then he said I’d probably would have been out of the age group to qualify. 
I got the impression that everyone in my age bracket Would have the virus or already fought the virus off . 

Edited by new beginning