Sign in to follow this  
Prancer is coming

What can my 7yo listen to at bedtime?

Prancer is coming

Mr 7 is currently listening to story time on abc for kids digital radio station when his light is turned off for bedtime. He loves it as there is 30 minutes of different stories every night. I already read to him before bed.

However, now he is a bit older, I would like to find something similar that as aimed at a bit of an older age group eg not Thomas the Tank Engine stories. He particularly likes the podcasts on stuff such as daylight savings, weather or facts about animals, but there is only a new one of these on the abc kids every week.

Now I m a total techno dunce. I am thinking some sort of podcast may be what he needs, but I have no idea how to get one. The digital radio is easy as I have an app on my phone and just press what I want, as can’t listen to it live as he wants stories, not lullabies. So nice instructions of how to get a podcast or whatever on my phone would be great and I need to be able to lock the screen so he can’t use it. I would also love it to go for at least half and hour or put itself onto the next program. Is this possible?

Edited by Prancer is coming

Riotproof

We like Imagine this, short n curly, fun science for kids though that last one is a bit exuberant.

• Like 1

little lion

Kinderling is fabulous. A free app on the App Store.

• Like 1

TrixieMac

If you have an iPhone there is a standard podcasts app on your phone. Do a search for kids podcasts, open up the show that interests you and press the cloud against each episode to download it. I believe if you have a few episodes from the same show they will automatically play one after another? Your phone screen can be locked while your son is listening.

I also recommend the BorrowBox app - you link it to your local library membership and then you can “borrow” (download but they get returned) audiobooks. My son has listened to some of the treehouse books.

• Like 1

Orangecake

You can buy most popular chapter books on iTunes or playstore. We tend to buy books that DS is reading - the tree house and Geronimo Stilton series are popular. Good for car trips and quiet time without screens too.