123Babies4Me

Help me help my five year old

123Babies4Me

So about once a day my 5 yo has an epic meltdown and dissolves into a screaming heap on the floor. Eg half an hour her sister took something from her. I tried talking to both of them about it (the item was special to her sister, but she shouldn’t have taken it, let’s take turns etc.) - in between screams she ended up telling me she didn’t want it!, I offered her hugs and deep breathing to help calm down, and eventually I took her into her room to calm down and left. I hate feeling like I am ‘shutting her away’ for showing emotion, but she just screams and screams and won’t stop. Sometimes she will talk but I feel like it takes a lot to get to that point and I don’t want to distress her if talking is really difficult at that point.

Any thoughts on better ways to approach these meltdowns???

José

i love the book 'the whole brain child' you can get a parent workbook that goes with it.

a psychologist who works with children could also be very helpful.

PandoBox

I think you need to teach her coping strategies...how to cope with big emotions like anger and sadness etc.

For an example

Deep breathing technieques , quiet space/drawing to wind down/time out, talking it out by using words to describe big emotions...eg instead of screaming " You make me so angry I feel like screaming".

"I am angry because".

Its a good idea to explain how emotions work, that they come into waves and that its important to sometimes ride out the angry/sad/frustrated wave quietly before you can resolve the cause.

You can maybe share some of your own coping mechanisms with your daughter. Some people like to go into a room and listen to music, speak to a friend, have a cup of tea.. Perhaps there is a favourite cuddle toy she could sit down with for 5 minutes or a stress relieving toy like a squishy ball, perhaps a warm cup of milk if appropriate, etc..

Not Escapin Xmas

And look at the FedUp diet (low salycilate). My DD was exactly the same and it turns out she reacts terribly to sals. In fact, she had a complete meltdown this arvo (at age 8) because she felt awful. I'm not sure what she's eaten but it sent her off the deep end.