Sign in to follow this  
ERipley

Auditory Processing Disorder or hearing issues?

ERipley

CELF test is looking at receptive and expressive language.

It is not looking at clarity of speech and phonetics.

DS2 scored his high mark in receptive but lower on his expressive. Although 6m of intensive speech therapy took him from bottom 25% to bang on 50%.

I think she’s trying to see if there are any processing speed issues but from the little she has said processing speed seems normal.

lucky 2

Dd had a hearing test at a private audiology clinic as a work up to investigate the possibility of adhd inattentive.

This showed unilateral hearing loss followed by brain MRI.

A few other things we discovered along the way with investigations recommended by a developmental paed.

Standard medical tests, ie blood, hearing, eye sight were the first things to be done.

Veritas Vinum Arte

Articulation and Phonological tests would be next for me along with Hearing Test.

Depending on frequencies of letters, children can end up missing whole letters in hearing.

ERipley

Dd had a hearing test at a private audiology clinic as a work up to investigate the possibility of adhd inattentive.

This showed unilateral hearing loss followed by brain MRI.

A few other things we discovered along the way with investigations recommended by a developmental paed.

Standard medical tests, ie blood, hearing, eye sight were the first things to be done.

That sounds like how it should be. I don’t know how we’ve bypassed all the most basic stuff.

ERipley

Articulation and Phonological tests would be next for me along with Hearing Test.

Depending on frequencies of letters, children can end up missing whole letters in hearing.

Good advice. Thank you. Now I’m reading up on recurrent otitis media and its impact on coordination and questioning everything.

Veritas Vinum Arte

I sometimes had DS2 tested twice within 6wks as first test was OK, but then things seemed to go backwards and sure enough hearing loss and fluid filled ears again.

ETA once was after teacher said he suddenly seemed to stop paying attention in class.

Edited by Veritas Vinum Arte

Veritas Vinum Arte

On the funny vowels.... we had to teach DS2 the saying “there are no cows in Carlton, only cars”. This was because he pronounced it Cowlton rather than Carlton. It was a problem because it was the team he barracked for.

eilca

DD2 is diagnosed with APD, dyslexia and ADHD.

The inattentive ADHD diagnosis explained so much- she was getting overloaded sensory input. I have no advice or experience in language delays.

We had her eyesight and hearing tested before we went down the other pathways for investigations.

LucyGoose

I tested my child using Sound Scouts, it is an app you can download for free to test your child’s hearing. It is by Australian Hearing. I think they have to be 4 years old. If they fail then you are alerted and can go to Australian Hearing for free.

Vellichor

Sound scouts will be a great first step for you:

https://www.soundscouts.com

It is free (recently funded by the government and Australian Hearing).

ERipley

On the funny vowels.... we had to teach DS2 the saying “there are no cows in Carlton, only cars”. This was because he pronounced it Cowlton rather than Carlton. It was a problem because it was the team he barracked for.

I asked my son to say this today and he also pronounced it “cowlton”. And later today he said there was a bee in his ear and he could hear it if he covers his ears. I asked him if it’s like a ringing sound in his ears and he said yes. So I explained tinnitus and asked how long he’d had it and he said just this afternoon. He made the same “bee” comment a few days ago but I thought he was just messing around. I asked him if it comes and goes and he said yes. I’m booking an appointment first thing tomorrow.

ERipley

In our state, children can get a basic hearing test in year before FYOS, and in FYOS. Done through the education provider. Then they get referrals to get retested in the next three months. Done by contracted paed audiologists.

Do you have access to anything like this in Vic for the meantime OP? In case, funds are an issue and you need to be on a waitlist.

My sister with CAPD seemed to have some hearing loss but her hearing tests fine. She cannot hear voices when there is background noise, and cannot concentrate on e.g. a conversation if say a TV is on. Sis gets very stressed in noisy public situations if people require too much interaction from her. She also has irlens syndrome which can be misdiagnosed as dyslexia.

Thank you for the advice. I don’t know what we have in VIC but I think I’m just going to go private to get it sorted as soon as possible. There seems to be a lot adding up as a possible hearing issue and now I’m terrified his ears are permanently damaged from one of the many ear infections he had when he was little. I took him to drs so many times but they would just send us home again.

That’s interesting about your sister’s CAPD. Does it come and go? I was in a busy place with lots of people with my son today and I noticed he had no problem picking out comments from people in the crowd and talking about them.