Sign in to follow this  
Minnie80

Very bad breast pain

Minnie80

Hi,

Breastfeeding has not worked out, so I've been pumping and feeding my six week old with a bottle. I pump five times a day but not at night. We top up with formula and I also take motilium and fenugreek to increase supply. I was doing fine. Then yesterday my left breast started hurting badly. It was a specific area in the breast. I had mastitis several times with my first child, so I know it is not mastitis. And I can't feel any lumps where it hurts. I didn't sleep at all through the night because of the pain. And it's still there today. Anyone know what can cause bad breast pain other then mastitis?

SplashingRainbows

Thrush?

Either way get yourself to the doctor Minnie.

I hope you’re feeling better soon.

• Like 1

lucky 2

It might be the beginning of mastitis, I suppose only time will tell.

I hope it goes away!

Minnie80

Yeah, I developed a fever, so it is mastitis. :(

PocketIcikleflakes

I hope you're feeling better soon. Mastitis sucks.

Minnie80

My supply has gone down the last two days. I read that mastitis can do that and it is temporary. How long does it take to recover?

lucky 2

Are you taking antibiotics?

You might feel better in few day but some women need up to 10 days of treatment.

If you are taking motilium to boost milk supply you might raise your blood levels of prolactin but expressing 5 times in 24hrs may be holding you back.

You may be producing more milk but if you are removing milk 5 times a day, that's about every 4-5 hours, milk might be pooling in your breasts, increasing your risk of blocked ducts/mastitis and reducing milk production.

You probably need to express more frequently atm, ie 8 per 24hrs and when the mastitis is resolved you can decide how you want to proceed.

Perhaps have a talk with your gp, you may not need to take motilium whist you have mastitis.

Good luck!

Mooples

I was exclusively expressing for my son. At 6 weeks old I was still pumping twice over night to maintain supply. Unfortunately I don’t think you’ll be able to maintain or boost supply with stopping the pump sessions overnight. Sorry about the mastitis, it sucks.

Minnie80

I would love to pump at night, but I have a child who is very sleepy but for some reason will only sleep on my chest at night. If I put her in her cot, she wakes up and cries. Everyone is sleeping at night, so there is no one I can hand her to to while I pump. But yes it's a problem.

Ellie bean

Any chance your husband can get up and hold her while you pump?