Sign in to follow this  
MsLaurie

Dressing for a changed shape

MsLaurie

Nearly three months postpartum from bub2, and it’s becoming clear my basic shape has changed. My waist is thicker, and while i’m rapidly losing weight from my butt and thighs, my belly (especially under my belly button) is stubbornly rounded!

I seem to have shifted from an hourglass/pear shape, to an apple shape with no a*se!

So, what sorts of clothes should I be looking out for with this new shape? And does anyone have wise counsel on whether this may be temporary or is it likely to just be the way things are now?!

Mollyksy

No wise counsel just sympathy! I also got two huge hernias post pregnancy so also now look 23 months pregnant. I was overweight before but nigella curvy hourglass. Now all boobs, bumb and tummy. Big beach ball with thick thighs. Good luck!!

a letter to Elise.

It took me a lot longer to get my waist back second time around, and even longer the third time.

It's still early days, but if it's bothering you, you can get an assessment from a physio to check for abdominal separation, and some appropriate exercises. You might never be quite the same again, but I found the exercises helped with the back aches as well as helping my tummy.

• Like 1

MissMilla

For me it was temporary, but i did have to put a lot of work into getting back the way i was after my second child. It was frustrating because with my first it took 2 months and i looked like ive never had a baby without any work on my part.

With my second i gained a lot more weight during pregnancy and the last 10kg just wouldnt budge. It was mostly on my tummy even though i used to have a very flat tummy before. When DD was 1.5 years old and i finally accepted the fact that the rest weight isnt gonna go on its own, i started working out and dieting.

I think its mostly the diet that helped. I wasnt eating unhealthy before, just way too much.

I got back to my previous weight and pear shape within 6months or so and fortunately my tummy is gone now

lizzzard

I agree with the PP - its pretty early still. It took me a good 12 months to regain my pre-pregnancy shape, and I'm a skinny size 6 and put on <10kg.

In the meantime, mum is an apple shape. She finds that well-cut structured clothes work well to maximise the curves she wants to emphasise.

Veritas Vinum Arte

I purchased clothes for my new figure 5m PP and then fit back in my old clothes 7m PP.

bearosauraus

Dani_R

This is me too, 9m post baby no. 2! My tummy has become more rounded, particularly under my belly button and I'm finding it hard to find clothes I'm comfortable in. Not impressed with my mum-tum!

Wonderstruck

I have 2 year old and am perhaps 3-4kg heavier than I was before I was pregnant with her. That last few kg did not budge and most of the weight came off soon after birth.

I think it is as my entire shape changed. I had to buy new clothes as my hips are noticeably wider as is my rib cage. I was a tiny size 6 - I am now clearly an 8-10 especially in the bony areas which surprised me.

For me there is little to be done as its more of a bone structure thing.

I just had to buy new clothes and shoes.

I still feel pretty frumpy but its more about being a full time working mum who spends little time or money on herself.

It's still very soon for you OP and don't stress about the parts you can't change - plenty of time to work on the bits that a purely extra weight.

Edited by Wonderstruck

MsLaurie

I’m not hugely stressed about it, but it’s certainly putting a pause on my planned kondo’ing of my wardrobe as I have no idea what to ditch and what might still be okay with a few more months waiting!

molinero

Some ppl will continue to have a "tummy" shape for a few extra months pp before it also goes back down again. It's not all fat, there was a thicker layer of muscle in there during the pregnancy, and as pps have suggested, some times it takes a while for the muscle separation to resolve.

You may or may not go back down to your original waist measurements, but it's still very early days.

I once heard good relationship advice about not making any decisions about your relationship with your spouse/partner for one whole year after the birth. I think the same rule applies to the favourite clothes in your wardrobe! Who knows, give it a few months and some old faves could fit you nicely again.