newphase

Placement and end of course

newphase

Has anyone got to the end of a course almost, but facing a large placement can't see their way to get it do after gaining work. My position got to the point I needed to work more than 15 hrs a week, now doing 40 I can cut back and do placement PT 2 days a week forever but my anxiety has soared and seriously considering not finishing the course but $$ down the drain not to mention time I've lost over the last 3 yrs. Working 32 hours a week, placement 16 hours a week for like 20 weeks, I freeze up and feel ill contemplating it all. There's assessments to do at home as well with regards to placement.

knottygirl

Placements are hard. I had to do full time for 6 weeks which was so hard.

Just try not to overthink it, and remember that it will end. It’s not forever. It will be all over before you know it.

newphase

I wish I could do it FT and get in done but I need to work now, it'll be long and drawn out.

melanieb530

Know someone who went to Uni (young student working to support themselves) and almost finished a teaching degree except for the long final practical placement in their very last semester of the course. Couldn't afford to pay rent, utilities, eat, pay for transport etc without working. Couldn't save up enough money on part time minimal wages to put money aside for the duration of the prac placement. Sad to see this happen to someone who would have been an amazing teacher and who spent close to 4 years at Uni.

Malkin Slinkhard

When I did my degree I was working somewhere with flexible hours fortunately, but was doing full time hours with the final placement, working nights and weekends where I could to keep paying rent and bills, and still squeezing in uni work. I was such a mess after it that it took me 6 months to recover before I felt up to looking for a job in the field.

knottygirl

Know someone who went to Uni (young student working to support themselves) and almost finished a teaching degree except for the long final practical placement in their very last semester of the course. Couldn't afford to pay rent, utilities, eat, pay for transport etc without working. Couldn't save up enough money on part time minimal wages to put money aside for the duration of the prac placement. Sad to see this happen to someone who would have been an amazing teacher and who spent close to 4 years at Uni.

That’s sad for them, but it’s not like the placement is sprung on you at the last minute. I did my teaching placement with other young people in similar circumstances supporting themselves managed. They had saved up over a long time and worked evenings and weekends during the placement. It was hard, but it’s possible.

• Like 1

Cimbom

Can you take a leave of absence from study, save up and then do the placement. I'm sure if you speak to your uni they'll be able to advise on options and things other students have done

Staying Strange

I'm a social worker - we have to complete 1000 hours of placement over 2 pracs (mine were 450/550). It was hard.

I am now a supervisor and offer part time pracs. 20 weeks isn't even half a year - a semester is normally about 13/14 weeks so its only a little longer.

It is a hard slog ....my placements were so invaluable to me that I do understand why they are required.

Do you have access to study leave or annual leave at your job that you can use? We're eligible for about 5-6 days of study leave per year - not heaps, but if you're eligible 6 days would reduce your prac by 3 weeks (by enabling you to work 2x5day weeks)

Also are the number of days also set? For some of our students we've let them do longer days to reduce the number of days they need to be at placement (but this won't work for all professions). - THis will only work if your care arragements are such that you can do this (day care / before/after school care etc - which I know not everyone is able to access)

Are you getting help for your anxiety? It might be worth talking to your provider about your anxieties about prac so that they can help.

Try to break down what it is that makes the situation overwhelming?

Is it the hours 32+16 = 50/week - are you worried about managing the household over this time, the drop in wages, the extra juggle etc?

Is it the 20weeks? - why does that seem " too long" and how can you make it seem more "achievable""

Are there other options for how to structure it? We just had one student who did a 2 week block, then 2 days/week, then another 2 week block, then 1 day per week until the end. It was what he needed so that's what we did - again, this may be my profession, I'm not sure what others are like

Is there any options for additional hours on weekends? (Again, not all professions can offer this, but we sometimes run groups on weekends, and its a great way for students to get their hours up if they want (weekends are 100% optional) - generally this is only useful for those with partners who can deal with children or family who an babysit for the day but it is an option to get their hours up).

Good luck OP I hope you're able to figure something out.

• Like 1

newphase

Thanks for the replies.

To answer questions,

I am already overdue for this placement as all my class finished it by Oct/Nov last year so can't put it off to rack up more leave. I started last yr, my placement, but had to pull out as I couldn't continue it FT and where I was doing it wouldn't allow PT. Then I got a job which threw a spanner in th placement works.

My anxiety stems from several things, mainly managing my time between work, home commitments( house keeping, single mum to 3 kids, eldest with a disability and middle doing yr 12, youngest needing help with homework as he struggles), and fitting placement and assessments into the mix. It's an innate thing really, financial pressure by not working FT sends me into a tizzy without thinking and stretching myself I'm not good at, never have been.

I work every 2nd weekend and I'm not sure the placement I'm lined up to do has weekend offerings to get hrs done or to extended on any given day, but it's something to ask at meeting coming up.

I'll get there, was just sick as last week too and I freaked.