Cimbom

Let's build up some savings!

IamOzgirl

Did you guys see my post about Neo Banks?

You guys shoudl def sign up. Its great because all your money gets the high interest rates, but you can split your money into seperate savings goals with targets.

Its the highest rate of any bank. and one neo bank has already stopped people signing it because of the rate cuts So jump in quick!

Cimbom

Just realised that this week is the one year anniversary of this thread. That went by really quickly!

• Like 5

cardamom

Unexpected upside of coronavirus: I'm finishing the fortnight with $200 left in my account. Normally every last cent is budgeted for.

I think most of that is because of medical appointments that have been cancelled, but still, I'll take it!

Savings currently sitting at $11,770. Had to pay for some roof repairs in March which was a bit of a hit ($1225) but very thankful that we were able to pay it without major issues.

• Like 5

cardamom

It's been ages since anyone last posted in here!

Doing very little discretionary spending etc. during corona, and very fortunate that my work hasn't been impacted (yet). I seem to be ending up with about $100 left over each week. I haven't been putting that in to my Goalsaver as yet, just setting it aside. Maybe I could splash out and use it for a weekend away later in the year - support some local businesses, etc.

Savings currently sitting at $14,162.

• Like 5

cardamom

Savings buffer is slowly building up. Feeling very grateful to still have work (for now, anyway) and am being extra-cautious with spending at the moment - mostly only buying groceries.

Goalsaver currently at $15,888 and the COVID savings account where I've been stashing my leftover $ each fortnight is at $2775 (that includes my tax return). I should probably just put that in the Goalsaver but am contemplating whether to do something nice with it one day, given it's "extra" savings over and above my usual fortnightly amount. It's also interesting to keep track of how my spending habits have changed since COVID.

• Like 4

Mrs Claus

COVID has helped with our savings. Got a refund from Airbnb for a trip we can’t make anymore so that has boosted the savings a bit

• Like 1

CrankyM
Posted (edited)

Wellll I went on a spending spree in my covid cancelled travel plans sadness (airfares which we’re also not refunded) so I haven’t saved as much as I wanted. We instead repainted 3 rooms, floored 2, bought new beds. But I’m still stashing away at little and it’s currently at 16850 :) I have a kid about to start orthodontist treatment though so it might be shrinking back down again. 

Edited by CrankyM
  • Like 2

kass87

Since starting my job as a residential care worker we have been able to save just over $7000. 

• Like 3

seemingly

Now gyms are back open and I don't really have an excuse anymore, went back in to renew for the next 12 months... $750 yeowch. Wanting to save now to renovate the kitchen and bathroom, got a while to go before that's saved up!

cardamom

Eep, two months since I last posted!

In Melbourne so not a whole lot happening spending-wise (apart from rates, a plumbing repair, etc.) We're also buying takeaway once a week to try and support local business (and support me not having to cook 😉)

Goalsaver at $18300 and COVID stash is at $4000. Hoping to use some of that for a nice trip in regional Victoria one day!

• Like 1

raspberry sherbert

I was going to come in and  update my savings goals and wins during covid. We have decided to move out of Melbourne after it is over and buy / build a house. We will be saving with intensity for the foreseeable future for our deposit. Now I am sad EB forums are finishing up soon. I want to thank everyone in this thread for the support and encouragement especially last year. 

• Like 3

raspberry sherbert

Awesome. Thanks 

cardamom

@raspberry sherbert I just started a new thread - come join! https://www.everybump.com.au/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=40 

My last totals update in here: Goalsaver $19657, COVID stash $4000. Didn't add anything to the latter this past month - the lockdown crazy got to me a bit and I went on a shopping spree buying vintage Babysitters Club books, lol.

Thanks for all the support, folks - good luck with your savings goals, hope you come join us in the new thread!

• Like 1