Pooks_

Best item for artistic preschooler?

Pooks_

A family member is offering to buy something for DD who loves to draw and write. I’m thinking an easel, although DS had one he never used and it and it got trashed so that makes me wonder if there a better option.

spr_maiden

A lap or table top easel?

Take up less space, might have little storage drawers, and can take them outside on a rug easily enough.

Kiwi Bicycle

Some decent quality art supplies? Faber Castell art grip pencils? Good quality art paper? A helix hand crank pencil sharpner. As an artist, this is what I would love. Plus a decent set of quality acrylic paints.

little lion

I treasured my tin of Derwent pencils when I was in primary school.

• Like 7

red_squirrel

Some decent quality art supplies? Faber Castell art grip pencils? Good quality art paper? A helix hand crank pencil sharpner. As an artist, this is what I would love. Plus a decent set of quality acrylic paints.

This. Or even a place to draw and chair and table.

Nobody draws on an easle. It needs to be mostly flat for a kid.

• Like 3

LucyGoose

My DDs are quite arty. My DD has a table top easel with a little drawer underneath with paints and oil pastels in it. She was about 6 when she got this and still uses it.

The pencils in a tin are a good option.

With a proper sketch book.

The other thing that is great is paint pens. We just have crayola type, which are great for paper, but the more expensive ones you can use for drawing on rocks etc.

Pooks_

Thanks for the great ideas!

BornToLove

If you aren’t keen on an easel, I would recommend this holder for butcher paper. It’s great especially when inspiration strikes and DD just needs to get it all on paper.

https://m.ikea.com/au/en/catalog/products/art/40167856/

I would also recommend a nice set of (washable) paints and a nice art smock.

scooty

I agree with the Derwent pencils. We use my dh’s old ones from when he was young and they just go on and on. Never break and are awesome quality. Def worth the $$$.

Jenflea

Lots of paper!

Big pieces as well as coloured smaller pieces.

I don't love scrap books, DD never used them as she preferred single pieces of paper as they were easier to fill and she didn't have to hold a book open.

DD loved her easel but it's a big wooden one with a chalkboard on the other side which is what she's used the most. We'd have to sticky tape the paper to the easel when she was painting as the clips were too high for her to reach for a while.

StringArt

Oil pastels, gel pastels, watercolour paper, watercolour pencils, paper crimpers, paper rollers, paint pads, paint stampers and good quality pencils. A tabletop easel is a good suggestion, Monte Marte have one for about $20

Also an art tool box is useful. Somewhere to keep everything.

nom_de_plume

Chalk. My daughter loved drawing for hours on the driveway or fence.

• Like 4

born.a.girl

Our daughter ended up doing all the 'creative' subjects later on at school (art, viz com etc) but mostly ignored the easel.

What she did value was her large tin of Derwent pencils. You can even get replacements at Eckersley's. The tin's a bit battered, but she still has the full set at 27. They all have to be in the right order, too!

Chalk is good, too, if they can go to town on some concrete. We've still got drawings on the red bricks in our carport from primary school years.

You can also get contact now which works like blackboard, which you can them frame on the wall and can be drawn on.

Family have done that behind their pantry door for their shopping list.

seayork2002

Our daughter ended up doing all the 'creative' subjects later on at school (art, viz com etc) but mostly ignored the easel.

What she did value was her large tin of Derwent pencils. You can even get replacements at Eckersley's. The tin's a bit battered, but she still has the full set at 27. They all have to be in the right order, too!

Chalk is good, too, if they can go to town on some concrete. We've still got drawings on the red bricks in our carport from primary school years.

You can also get contact now which works like blackboard, which you can them frame on the wall and can be drawn on.

Family have done that behind their pantry door for their shopping list.

This!

DH is an artist (well Part Time one) and this is what he would suggest, he has an easel but never uses it but always suggets good quality 'basics', another thing he has had since a child is his Windsor and Newton water colour plastic box with the small square paint blocks, Ekersley does refills for them.

Not saying don't buy an easel though they are good!

We bought posh Derwent pencil tin for our nephew for Christmas one year

Edited by seayork2002

seayork2002

If you aren’t keen on an easel, I would recommend this holder for butcher paper. It’s great especially when inspiration strikes and DD just needs to get it all on paper.

https://m.ikea.com/a...s/art/40167856/

I would also recommend a nice set of (washable) paints and a nice art smock.

I was going to edit my post to add this, DS loved his when he was younger

spr_maiden

You can get neon chalk, sparkly chalk, 3d glasses chalk, we have sooo much chalk.

Fabric pens, silk crayons, oil pastels, variety of pencils.

I find a great big art paper book in the op Shop for $3, still have tin of good pencils and crayons mum found in an OP shop 2 yrs ago, perfect condition so keep an eye out to top up supplies.

Ikea butcher's paper roll is good for doing rubbings of leaves etc found in the yard.

seayork2002

Another thing we got DS was paint blocks, if the colours got mixed you just rinse them off - can't remember the exact name but they look like a larger version of those paint 'strip' tray things we had as kids

• Like 1

nup

For preschoolers consider an art box if you don't have one. I would rather good quality crayons, paper and paint brushes as quality materials do produce better art. Beeswax crayons and a heavy gsm artbook.