Sign in to follow this  
Jem80

Should I speak to the other mum about this?

darcswan

Kids like to point out differences

We’re the ones loading it with shame.

I reckon giving kids the tools to celebrate differences is a better approach

‘Your mum is fat’

‘Yep. So? Fat isn’t bad’

‘I don’t want you to be fat’

‘I’m proud that my body can run jump and play with you. Why does it matter if it’s fat too?’

• Like 1

nup

Fresh Start your mess of a story could be similar to mine except the parents fuelling it were the parents of the children who escalated the behaviour. All the others became targets as these ones had parental support to continue to escalate something that might have otherwise blown over. The teachers were awesome with the handling of it. Parents often can't step back andanagd it professionally or objectively or whatever is required with so many complicating factors.

Kallie88

Why is this yuck? I dont understand this.

It seems a reasonably normal thing that you discuss people and events after a function or in the private, I really thought this was a normal thing.

There is some stuff that should never be said other people, its not about having the guts, its about knowing its not ok to say every thought to the person its about.

How do people deal with life if they never discuss stuff like this?

Damn I hate this sort of thing, I never have it right and I feel like I am always being judged.

No, this isn't recap of events or what's going on or general gossip, this is nasty, putting people down, this person's an idiot type stuff. Lots of people talk stuff through, and hey did you hear such and such is doing x now or I hope they're doing ok they looked a bit tired tonight, that's all good. This was not that though, some people are nasty just because they can be

• Like 2

Gruffalo's Child

I usually hear this story along the lines of 'your mum is fat' or 'you are fat' (said to a small girl).

Im sure it also happens but I have not heard 'your dad is fat' or 'you are fat' said to a small boy.

Yet more men are overweight in Australia than women.

It’s so depressing and isn’t just restricted to weight. My 7 year old DD is self conscious about her legs because several classmates have commented on them being hairy. They are no more hairy than anyone else’s, but the hair is probably darker than others so more noticeable. I remember the same thing being said to me at school decades ago when I was 14. No one ever commented on the boys, who were just as hairy if not moreso.

In my DD’s case, I spoke to the teacher who handled it beautifully. The kids in my DD’s year aren’t being unkind, they are just stating facts as they see them and are still learning which comments are ok and which are inappropriate. The kids in my own class did know the difference and were trying to shame me.