Rockwiz

At a loss

Rockwiz

It’s been a horrible 6 months. Both parents are now diagnosed with terminal cancer. How cruel can life be.

xxyzed

I’m so sorry. How devastating for your family.

Odd-1-Out

Im so sorry Rockwiz (((hugs))) from an internet random.

got my tinsel on

I'm so sorry.

BECZ

I’m sorry. That’s just not fair.

huge hugs!

Isolated Old Elf

I'm so sorry Rockwiz.

DQMission

That is just awful. I am so sorry, OP. I have a friend who lost both her parent within the space of 12 months due to terminal cancer and it was horrendous for her. I wish you strength and peace.

Lifesgood

I'm so sorry OP that is a truly unfair situation. I hope your parents can be made comfortable and that you have access to some support.

Would you like to tell us about your parents? I would love to listen.

• Like 2

TheGreenSheep

Speechless. That’s devastating.

Agree with Lifesgood, I’d also love to hear about them

cvbn

I would love to hear their story too.

Little boys rock

I am so sorry, please know we’re here for you xx

JomoMum

Rockwiz I am so sorry. Cancer is a horrible disease and unfortunately doesn’t discriminate. We are all here to listen x

Rockwiz

I'm so sorry OP that is a truly unfair situation. I hope your parents can be made comfortable and that you have access to some support.

Would you like to tell us about your parents? I would love to listen.

Thanks LG and everyone else for your kind thoughts. I really am just lost for words at the moment.

Mum was diagnosed with bowel cancer almost 2 and a half years ago. She went through major surgery, chemo, radiation and post surgery. They said they got it all. She was given the all clear. Late last year Dad was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. Chemo worked for a few months. About a week ago the oncologist said it's no longer working. Dad says he feels fine but without chemo he's basically waiting to die. To top it off Mum has just found out her cancer has returned and this time it's in the lungs. So they either didn't get it all or it had already started spreading before they thought they got it all.

little lion

How devastating. I can’t imagine how hard it must be for you all. Do you feel able to help them open a conversation about any special dreams they have and how to make them happen? If they’re well enough to enjoy a weekend at the beach or something it’d be a lovely memory to create. Big hugs to you.

EsmeLennox

I’m so sorry. That’s just not fair. :(

FuzzyChocolateToes

That is terribly unfair. :(

Dad used to volunteer for a palliative care organisation, helping people in palliative care put together a story of their life. Perhaps your parents would be interested in doing something like that?

Mishu

I’m so very sorry-life is so cruel sometimes. I hope you have some support around for you Rockwiz

• Like 1

MrsT2018

I'm sorry Rockwiz, thats really tough for them and your whole family.

I hope they can have a good quality of life for as long as possible.

Big hugs.

Lifesgood

Again, I'm so sorry OP. I really hope you still get some good quality time with them.

My mum was a breast cancer survivor who got her 5 year all clear then almost straight away they discovered it had spread to her bones and was everywhere. She is now in partial remission, but secondary cancer, as I'm sure you know, isn't curable so we are just waiting and praying now.

Facing into losing our parents is an existential shift.

Why don't you tell us a bit about your parents lives and history?

Veritas Vinum Arte

My sympathies. I am currently reeling from word Dads chemo and surgery last year did not get all the SCC and it has spread further on the head (SCC as a result of depressed immune system from CLL). I don’t know how I would deal if mum was also diagnosed.

Cancer Sux big time.

Rockwiz

Again, I'm so sorry OP. I really hope you still get some good quality time with them.

My mum was a breast cancer survivor who got her 5 year all clear then almost straight away they discovered it had spread to her bones and was everywhere. She is now in partial remission, but secondary cancer, as I'm sure you know, isn't curable so we are just waiting and praying now.

Facing into losing our parents is an existential shift.

Why don't you tell us a bit about your parents lives and history?

LG, sorry to hear about your Mum. Good news she's in partial remission. I assume that's because she's continued to do chemo? Yes secondary cancer, it's what Mum and Dad have now. I'm not even sure Mum is going to do chemo again. She had such a hard time last time only to get the all clear and now have it come back elsehere.

Rockwiz

My sympathies. I am currently reeling from word Dads chemo and surgery last year did not get all the SCC and it has spread further on the head (SCC as a result of depressed immune system from CLL). I don’t know how I would deal if mum was also diagnosed.

Cancer Sux big time.

I'm so sorry VVA. I agree cancer is a disgusting disease. Why can't they find a cure with all the great things we can do these days!

Sara.xoxo

So sorry to hear about your Mum and Dad. Cancer sucks big time! I hope you and your parents are surrounded by love and lots of support.

Sending hugs to you xoxo

Chicken Pie

I’m really sorry OP

That’s tragic

Lifesgood

LG, sorry to hear about your Mum. Good news she's in partial remission. I assume that's because she's continued to do chemo? Yes secondary cancer, it's what Mum and Dad have now. I'm not even sure Mum is going to do chemo again. She had such a hard time last time only to get the all clear and now have it come back elsehere.

Mum had 6 months of chemo and hormone treatment to treat the bone cancer - to shrink it and 'switch it off'. She now has hormone treatments every three weeks (infusions in hospital) to keep it 'switched off'. The cancer has shrunk to a manageable level - so she doesn't get repeated bone fractures and debilitating pain, but it won't go away and she will have this treatment for the rest of her life - either until the cancer reactivates, or she passes from something else.

Chemo was a nightmare, she had to move in with us both times as she was so unwell (Dad has dementia). I had to take her to emergency a few times due to severe vomiting and dehydration as well as a couple of times she developed infections due to low immunity. She really suffered. I wouldn't criticise anyone who chose not to do, although I'm so grateful that my mum is still around.

Again, I'm so sorry OP.