*molly*

Homework in Kindergarten

seayork2002

In FYOS DS had 2 A4 pages to be done over a week, sight words and nightly readers.

We did it as it meant my husband and I could see how he was progressing and to work out what we needed to help him with (I will break another EB cardinal sin and not get how homework can be sexist as mentioned in a PP).

Its funny he seemed to get my homework in FYOS that he has in later primary years

Jenflea

FYOS 'homework' is readers and sight words.

She's in 3rd grade this year and she's never done anything else apart from reading in subsequent years.

Jenflea

Some families (and it's not always just the mothers) do the reading and sightwords in the morning, or instead of a bedtime story.

CrankyM

FYOS was just 5 sights words and reading every night for 15 mins. Reading was done at bedtime because we were doing this anyway and sight words done in the morning on a whiteboard before or after breakfast.

Kallie88

Kinder should be play based I wouldn't be doing hw

PrincessPeach

On it's own, it's not onerous, but the expectation that it will be done every day is annoying to me. For kids just starting kindergarten. We have other commitments, for example DD also has speech therapy practice which she needs to do every day. I don't work particularly late but by the time we get home it's getting late, everyone is tired and hungry, 2 year old is teary and tantrummy.

Can you mix speech homework & school homework?

some is easier than others, I managed to get lucky this last week hat we are working on the 's' sound& s is one of the letters they are focusing on in class.

CrankyM

Can you chat with the teacher? Some (many) teachers don’t actually “Mark” homework. My yr 3 kiddos teacher has clearly stated homework is not marked but used as practice at home if parents can help. So rather then do it every day we used to pick 3 days a week and do them then.

(Don’t ask about the current state of homework in the house, 1 kid has 15maths questions a day and 25spelling words a fortnight and 25mins required reading. Other kid has therapy homework, 30mins Reading, his dyslexic homework and 15maths questions. I’m tired and they still need help for most of it.)

Edited by mayahlb

MrsT2018

I'd try to add it into the morning routine, have breakfast, brush teeth, sit down for 10 mins to re-hash the previous days learning and so on.

My kids didn't have homework but did have reading books to practice which was just for enjoyment. It was always stressed that the teachers do the teaching and home time was for enjoyment or for the kids to 'show off' to parents what they'd learnt.

Take home work was always easier than the school work they were working on.

• Like 1

AllyK81

DS is FYOS and he was desperate for homework (definitely my child!).

He started getting it last week. We also have a 3.5 year old. DH does pick ups. I get home about 6:30pm.

Our routine is come home, have a play, dinner, bath and stories for both kids. DS then gets an extra 20 minutes with one of us (usually me) while DH cooks our dinner to do his homework. Yes, he is tired, but he also enjoys consolidating his learning in special one on one time with me at the end of the day. His sister goes to bed at 7pm and he is usually asleep by 7:30pm.

It feels like a treat for him if we do it that way - I doubt we could get it done with his sister around!

EmmDasher

DD has just started. She has a week for ‘homework’ but so far it’s been things like have a conversation about a topic or phoning a friend. It’s just life skills stuff that we’d do anyway.

We’ve been given access to reading eggs so she plays that in the morning instead of watching tv.

I think readers are coming soon so they’ll just slit into the bedtime routine or on weekends or something.

I’m not struggling with the homework but rather all the communication sheets that come home for parents. I feel like I’ve commenced an early childhood education course and I’m doing it on top of working virtually full time.

• Like 1

MadMarchMasterchef

I'm in SA, so to me, kingergarten is the year before so school, so I freaked out a bit at the title!

But yeah, all of my kids started getting homework in FYOS, usually a reader and some sight words to practice. I would assume that's pretty standard.

SA here and same. Maybe an occasional fun maths task like tangrams or putting popsicle sticks in numerical order to see the picture on the other side.

We did it most nights but if they were too tired Id let it go.

And sometimes they wanted to read something different than what was set, Im ok with that too. As long as they are engaged with reading thats got to be a good sign.

Future-self

I would just organically combine speech therapy practice and our chats with ‘sound of the day’. It is important that they know all the letters and sounds but I wouldn’t make a big thing of it or call it ‘homework’. Plus the reader.

Writing homework every night in week 3 of FYOS would be a huge no from me

Edited by Future-self

MuffinQueen

None of us have time, it's just what you do.

Sorry if that sounds blunt, I just believe that teaching children isn't just down to their teachers. As parents we are also responsible.

My son is in his first year of high school. Back in Kindy, his teachers asked parents/caregivers to come into the class for the first 5-10 minutes of the day to do an activity with our child - some children were learning colours, others were doing sight words etc. There were some parents who didn't have time or flat out refused. Over the years it was pretty obvious which children had support at home with their learning. The teachers have a massive amount to fit in their day and it's so helpful not to have another child struggling.

Maybe as you're driving, cooking dinner, hanging out washing, ironing, walking you dog or even doing the shopping you could do it together?

• Like 4

Future-self

My son is in his first year of high school. Back in Kindy, his teachers asked parents/caregivers to come into the class for the first 5-10 minutes of the day to do an activity with our child - some children were learning colours, others were doing sight words etc. There were some parents who didn't have time or flat out refused. Over the years it was pretty obvious which children had support at home with their learning.

*eyeroll*

Or they have another child to get to school, a job to get to, the child goes to before school care so hanging out in the classroom every single morning isn’t an option. But then they do all the other things that you mention - and more- at home, with their kids in a way that suits their family.

• Like 4

AllyK81

Maybe as you're driving, cooking dinner, hanging out washing, ironing, walking you dog or even doing the shopping you could do it together?

We do this a lot. We have alphabet fridge magnets that we make words with while DH and I are in the kitchen. We chat about the sounds of the letter and the kids race to find the right ones.

• Like 1

MuffinQueen

*eyeroll*

Or they have another child to get to school, a job to get to, the child goes to before school care so hanging out in the classroom every single morning isn’t an option. But then they do all the other things that you mention - and more- at home, with their kids in a way that suits their family.

Didn't. Have. Time.

Clear enough??

MadMarchMasterchef

None of us have time, it's just what you do.

Sorry if that sounds blunt, I just believe that teaching children isn't just down to their teachers. As parents we are also responsible.

My son is in his first year of high school. Back in Kindy, his teachers asked parents/caregivers to come into the class for the first 5-10 minutes of the day to do an activity with our child - some children were learning colours, others were doing sight words etc. There were some parents who didn't have time or flat out refused. Over the years it was pretty obvious which children had support at home with their learning. The teachers have a massive amount to fit in their day and it's so helpful not to have another child struggling.

I totally agree with your first 2 paragraphs and the last one, but not being able to make a specific time of day because you are at work does NOT mean you are not involved in your childs learning.

• Like 3

MrsLexiK

We’ve got readers and sight words, we were told at a info day that those kids that did the readers and sight words every night and those who were at higher reading levels etc. it’s been a challenge to make sure we do it but we’ve made it a priority. We have the same books for a week (something about the kids getting confidence with reading them) so we’ve been able to do them in the car a couple of times because I have now memorised them. And at my other sons dancing class as well.

*Arcadia*

DS is in week 2 of FYOS. His teacher has told us there will be no homework only readers which will start going home in Term 3.

nom_de_plume

My DS prep homework is a daily reader and the occassional show and tell presentation, which I suspect might be once a month or so. That's it. He's doing his alphabet scrapbook thing in class.

Yes, this is the same for DD in Prep. They expect us to do 15min reading per night and talk about the book - either the reader (which is sent home once per week at this stage), or a book of our choice. We have a log to fill out each night.

They also have show and tell once per term.

WaitForMe

In FYOS DD1 got a colouring sheet on the letter of the day. It also had the rhyme that they had learnt, and she could do an action "ants on apples a a a" etc.

DD1 called it her homework, but I never got anything from the teachers saying she had to complete and return it - it was intended to be kept at home to refer to.

She would whip it out as soon as she got home and colour it in without any help from me so it was all good and low key, and I liked learning the rhyme.

I think that was really well thought out homework for FYOS, there were benefits to the sheet whether the colouring got done or not.

And no more came home when they started the reader, all we got from then on all year was just the reader.

*molly*

Thanks all for your thoughts. I agree with the idea that talking about letters and sounds of the day could fit into everyday life, however in this case we have a book with a letter on each page that we need to fill in.

Sure, we don’t have to do it but I was just confused about why we are being asked to do so much when as far as I know it’s not supported by evidence. We simply heard some anecdata at the kindy info night and a vague explanation that this program was brought in at the school because there is a large proportion of families with a non English speaking background. And lots of guilt about how it must be done every day and you must not skip ahead!

Yes, we do dinners that are quick to prep and this week we’re living off batch pasta bake that was cooked on the weekend.

Yes, we talk regularly about letters and sounds and read every night and DD likes to practice writing. The kids get lots of support for learning at home.

I think I’m extra annoyed this week because my anxiety is playing up, dh is away and I’m feeling overwhelmed for various reasons.

The comment about homework being sexist, I can see how some people would think that’s a stretch but as I see it, homework for 5 year olds assumes there is a parent available to help the child in the afternoons. That is, it assumes that both parents are not working full time. The vast majority of the time it is the mother who will be assumed to be home. So the mother is now expected to be home to do this ‘busy work’ that has no proven benefit to the child’s learning. It is filling up her time with something of questionable value.

If revising sounds is so important (and I absolutely agree that it is) then why can’t it be done during school time? Avoiding the need for a parent (most likely the mother) to be home devoting time to this and making sure all children get equal advantages in learning?

Edited by *molly*
  • Like 2

Riotproof

Talk to the teacher.

• Like 1

*molly*

Get use to it. Primary school is set up on the assumption that their is one stay at home parent.

Yes, I can totally see how this is the case. Just the fact that it finishes at 3pm is a big clue.

Edited by *molly*
  • Like 1

JomoMum

DS is FYOS this year and has homework coming next week from week 4.

The teacher assured us all it will be a brief 4-5 minute overview of numbers/sound etc.

I’ll wait and see what it is before we really commit - but I’m a sahm so typically have the time.

Whether I feel it’s necessary is a different matter. DS has done speech for 3 years so knows most sounds, and is weirdly good with numbers (like me I guess), so we’ll see what he needs to do and take it from there.