Sign in to follow this  
JustBeige

Photo scanner recommendations?

JustBeige

I have literally hundreds of photos that I would like to drop onto a stick/SD card.

Can any recommend a scanner that you can feed the photo in? Under $200 is my budget.

I dont want a flat bed one as I really dont want to have to do the 'lid up/lid down' thing that many times.

I was looking at document scanners and was wondering do they do the same thing?

I can see some that have OCR software, so Im thinking they dont 'do' photos

Any recommendations???

I'm a bad mod and cross posting from Internet and Tech :) cause I forgot that we actually had a photography section : :doh:

Ive had the suggestion of getting a camera shop to possibly do it which I will investigate further, but was still hoping for some recommendations

needs to get out

Lots of my genealogy people recommend something called a Flip-Pal.

Mum got some photos scanned at a camera shop last year (my Uncle's baby photos we put into a book for his 90th birthday) and while they did a lovely job I think it cost about a dollar a photo.

Is it maybe something you could pay a young relative to do for you for pocket money?

• Like 1

JustBeige

Thank you, that looks promising.

At least I dont have to keep lifting the lid.

Its probably at the top end of my price range, so will have to think about how much use I will actually get.

Someone also suggested that I just upgrade my printer/scanner as that has a document feeder.

Thats a bit more of an investment though, especially if it doesnt work properly.

Rachel70

I had a friend use this site and said it was very easy.

I have thought about buying a scanner but I am put off by the thought of how long it will take and then I will also be stuck with a scanner that I will probably just put in a cupboard never to be used again.

www.themagicshoebox.com

Edited by Rachel70
  • Like 1

JustBeige

I had a friend use this site and said it was very easy.

I have thought about buying a scanner but I am put off by the thought of how long it will take and then I will also be stuck with a scanner that I will probably just put in a cupboard never to be used again.

www.themagicshoebox.com

Yes me too. Thats why I was thinking of something like a document scanner. Just not sure how well the 'photo' would scan through.

Thanks for that link. The price made me go "oh" at first, but really thats not bad for approx 500 photos and return post+stick

jayskette

if you dont get a flat bed one then you wont be able to scan documents, tattered photos, crumbling letters etc.

• Like 1

JustBeige

if you dont get a flat bed one then you wont be able to scan documents, tattered photos, crumbling letters etc.

I can actually do all that on my multi function printer. :)

If I only had say 100, I would just spend a few weekends and do it on there, but I truly have hundreds so need something that I can just feed through.

The very helpful man in JB HiFi told me tonight he got one for his MIL online, so I might have to go and search EBay a bit more.