123Babies4Me

Sudden behavioural problems in 7yo

123Babies4Me

In the last few weeks my 7 yo has been having extreme meltdowns - toddler like tantrums, screaming, yelling, throwing themselves on the ground, for long periods etc. I thought maybe it was occurring when she was tired. But it seems to be happening frequently at any time of day. Is there perhaps some developmental thing going on? Or some psychological issue that I’m unaware of? She has always been demanding but this is next level.

José

i dont think us randoms can answer this for you! especially with such little info!!

can you pinpoint it to an exact time? what exactly was going on then?

has their been unsupervised visits with family/ friends?

what's the child say about the problem?

if your child has always been demanding what was worked previously? which professionals did you previously consult with?

ERipley

Anxiety about returning to school?

• Like 1

Isolated Old Elf

I also would be wondering about the return to school and whether there are issues with friends/teachers/anxiety.

Cheesy Sanga

Have you been to the GP for a full health check up? Could be a UTI or other illness.

• Like 1

123Babies4Me
  • Like 2

lozoodle

My daughter is a bit feral at the moment (just turned 8). I feel like with her you just need to let her get it out and then she gets over it. I think maybe a stage, my elder daughter was the same too but now she's completely chilled out (10yo now)

kerilyntaryn

I think it's worthwhile to get a full checkup at GP. But the first thing that came to mind was going back to school

Caribou

My first thought was the return of school too. My DD didn’t have tantrums, but got a bit stroppy, self centred, and rude about everything in general and overtired. I’d have to pull her up on it. She didn’t get in trouble, but just remind her that the behaviour isn’t really tolerated in the house. We’d have a chat about life and make sure everything was ok. It’s lessened this week but I did see that her grade/stage whatever the hell thryre calling it now (another story!) loaded them up with a lot of info for the week. There was so much for them to absorb in a week and tests to see where they are in reading and maths.

Friendships change slightly too. Kids spend 6 weeks apart come back with either a new personality or stories to make others jealous.

I think shooting off an email to teacher asking how she’s going wouldn’t hurt. But it’s also possible she holds all the stress of school in and let’s it all out at home.

• Like 2

BornToLove

I agree, my first thought was being back to school. The change in teacher, classroom dynamics and individual friendships can be huge for such a young person to deal with all at once.

I think spending some concentrated time with her 1:1 will help. Ask a few questions on how she’s feeling but make sure she knows you just want to support her if she’s having a hard time. Hopefully things will settle quickly.

However, if she’s still struggling next week, I would check in with the teacher to see if she can give insights into how your daughter is doing. If there isn’t a issue there, I would take her into the GP for a check up. Pain and discomfort in kids tends to manifest as anger.