Riotproof

So regarding school stationery...

Riotproof

I’m 100% thankful that our school includes stationery in the school fees and that I don’t have to even think about these lists.

I wouldn’t mind that either, because at least they’d have the brands they teachers prefer. The only specify the brand of glue stick uhu or bostik.

• Like 1

IkeaAddict

For our school we buy the stationery pack from the school. It includes everything they need for the year and if there's anything left at the end of the year they get it back. From last year we got back a few whiteboard markers, some pencils, some plain white paper and an unused exerciise book

Jenflea

Last year DD(2nd grade) wasn't allowed to erase much at all.

The teacher wanted to see where she was making mistakes to see where they needed help i guess.

• Like 2

CrankyM

On the glue sticks we end up with the office national branded ones. I have to say they are decent quality. The kid have brought home extras and they still work fine, kids go back on fine and the wind up works fine.

Urg thinking of this reminds me I have to label everything before Monday.

Paddlepop

And on that note, why do schools put those stupid tiny metal sharpeners on their book lists? They get easily lost, and the kids have to get up and go over to the bin all of the time, rather the ones with the catcher which means a quick sharpen at their seat and empty when it's full.

DD's school requires a sharpener with a catcher.

Riotproof

Went to office works.. it is like a zombie apocalypse. Shelves empty. No stock forthcoming.

Jealous of my friend who only has to provide a pencil case.

So, I got your sw**ky pencils Maya. And Faber Castell pencils. Cheap erasers.

This sharpener, which I am hoping survives. https://www.officeworks.com.au/shop/officeworks/p/faber-castell-grip-2001-3-hole-pencil-sharpener-fa81183895

4 pack of uhu glue sticks for $7.

So many things needed where the single pack was sold out, so you had to buy a multi.

CrankyM

Ooh that looks like a great sharpener. I labelled everything yesterday which was fun. Discovered we had 8 more pencils then we needed so I gave the good ones to the kids to take and kept the cheaper ones at home for homework.

Riotproof

I am very impressed with it. Ds does generally return with the things supplied so it doesn’t seem too risky. Last year, I bought a sh*tty one that died almost instantly. He didn’t tell me.

CrankyM

I can’t find any decent ones with canisters locally. It’s very frustrating. The plastic ones are crap and break within a term.

Riotproof

I had a play and it seems pretty sturdy.

It does the two sizes of pencils plus triangular ones.

Couldn’t find wooden rulers anywhere. Told ds when it breaks to let me know. I’m sure it will be easier in a month.

Edited by Riotproof
  • Like 1

CrankyM

They had them in woolies when I was in there so if you shop at woolies you might be able to pick one up.

Riotproof

I’m really a coles person. See what happens he might be more responsible than I think.

Jenflea

I was doing the last of the labelling and packing of DD's pencil case today. The clear ruler from Office Max is SO thin I can see it snapping the first time she tries to get it out of her case.

If it does, I'll send her with a non regulation thick one.

I've got a clear plastic one at home that's lasted 20 years, it's twice the thickness of this one.

BornToLove
atthebeach

i got a wooden ruler from coles but it was a few weeks ago. and then my child recently explained to me that he didn't need the ruler last year because the exercise books i had supplied already had a red margin ruled on every page, and that was the only thing they used the ruler for. unfortunately the exercise books i bought this year don't have a margin - i bought them before he told me this. it also explains why he didn't use the red correction pencils last year hardly at all.

• Like 1

IShallWearMidnight

I personally compared prices to Woolworths and then add the stuff into my shopping over the year.

Then get the last few things from the schools choice stationery shop (they donate 20%back to the school)

Riotproof

So, it has been a lot cheaper this year because ds isn’t prone to losing things and the highlighters were barely used and his sharpener actually survived. Maya he loved those lead pencils, but I could only find one pack at Target. Office works were sold out. I actually thought they might be discontinued.

Officeworks have a service now where they pick all your items, you just have to give them the list. Anybody used it? I wonder about things where brands actually matter to the quality.

lozoodle

I find officeworks pretty good and i just order online. The less hassle the better.

• Like 2

Riotproof

I find officeworks pretty good and i just order online. The less hassle the better.

We don’t get enough lead time for that. Note came home yesterday, they want it Monday.

Just Jack

So, it has been a lot cheaper this year because ds isn’t prone to losing things and the highlighters were barely used and his sharpener actually survived. Maya he loved those lead pencils, but I could only find one pack at Target. Office works were sold out. I actually thought they might be discontinued.

Officeworks have a service now where they pick all your items, you just have to give them the list. Anybody used it? I wonder about things where brands actually matter to the quality.

Officeworks took absolutely forever to give me a comparison quote. Maybe 2 weeks, maybe more? Yes it was cheaper, but there were a number of substitutions, and no text books of course - so i went with the school-recommended supplier in the end - knew i got the right stuff, and all in one place.

• Like 1

SeaPrincess

We get unused stationery back after cut off for ordering through the school supplier, so I do my own. Also the school supplier charges per child for delivery. Officeworks will price match book list items if they have them priced higher, but most are lower priced anyway. This year I just did my own because last year they went through the list checking it off as they handed it over to me, so it didn’t actually save much time.

CrankyM

RP Target have those pencils.

Alternatively we bought these ones (the giant tub of 50 so I don’t have to buy pencils for years) https://www.officeworks.com.au/shop/officeworks/p/faber-castell-goldfaber-hb-pencil-with-eraser-fa111222hb

And these

https://www.officeworks.com.au/shop/officeworks/p/faber-castell-triangular-grip-graphite-pencils-hb-12-pack-fa11317000

He says they are both lovely to write with though the one with the eraser at the end isn’t as good as the silver pencils with black eraser. And they stay sharp (super important for a kid who requires a super sharp pencil to write with and will sharpen it too a nub if it isn’t sharp enough. Hence why we buy better quality). The triangular ones are good for grip when he isn’t using his pencil grip. You can also get them with the grips in colours pencils.

• Like 1

Sharalanda

I used officeworks this year and was really impressed. The only difference in the brands were the scrapbooks and exercise books which don’t seem to matter I don’t think. Also the pencil sharpeners but someone linked the staedler one earlier in the thread and apparently it lasts well which can only be a good thing as the ones from the booklist last year didn’t even survive the first term. All the pencils and textas were the same brand as on the list.

I uploaded my list as soon as it came home last year and I got the quote back the next day and it was all ready to collect the day after that. The price difference for us was was staggering so I’m glad I did it.

BECZ

Kmart had those blue and gold Faber Castell pencils 5 pk for $1 this year. Not sure if it’s still on. Office works price matched it, it had no stock when I had a look while buying other stuff. There wasn’t even a spot for them.

Luckily I already got some from Kmart. Just the pencils though, no eraser or sharpener. My kids like them.

Just checked and still on special at Kmart until 5/2 if you are interested in getting some.

https://www.kmart.com.au/catalogue#view=catalogue2&saleId=31075&page=6

• Like 1

Riotproof

Ohhhh annoying!!! I was just there.

Never mind, I got one pack of 5 at Target.