Pooks_

Car booster advice

Pooks_

My head is spinning trying to understand the various options so I’d like some advice please.

DD (3.5) is getting cramped in her infa neon (she’s 110cm), and DS (a few weeks shy of 7, about 120cm) has been moaning about the harness on his infa rally “squashing his balls” and the double jointed little monkey can adjust the harness himself and loosen it. So I’m thinking of moving DD into the Rally and getting DS a booster. He uses an untethered fold-down infa traveller booster seat in his dad’s car which is only used for short distances. My car is used for the day trips and whatnot.

So is it reasonable to move him out of the harness even though it technically fits? What’s a comfortable booster that’s likely to last a long time?

HolierThanCow

I think it's fine to move him to a booster. 5 point harnesses aren't shown to be necessarily safer than boosters for older children who can be trusted to sit up properly. The tallest booster is the safe n sound kid guard, I think? Do I have the name right?? My tall 11 year old grew out of it about age 9 1/2 or 10.

Edited by HolierThanCow
  • Like 1

AdelTwins

You could buy a SNS Maxiguard. 5pt harness. Or a Hi Liner if you prefer a booster. My twins are 7yo and over 130cms with plenty of room in both of those seats.

My parents have 2 hi-liners (school pick up once a week) but we have 2 maxi guards as they are squashed in 3 across and they wouldn’t be able to get to the buckles.

There are similar seats in other brands too.

• Like 1

just roses

Definitely reasonable.

• Like 2

Future-self

If he’s complaining of sore balls and that makes him wiggle out of the harness then he’d be safer in a booster. Do you think he will be able to sit up straight and not pull at the seatbelt etc?

SND hi liner and the mothers choice Trinity are fairly inexpensive and perform very well in CREP

I don’t believe that they allow for the tallest exit though - that’s the Maxi Cosi Rodi and the Infa Visage . More expensive though but will last the longest

• Like 1

Pooks_

Thank you! I was going crazy trying to compare seats and safety between the harness and booster. He’ll slouch in any seat so I’ll try to pick one with a bit of a head rest.

HolierThanCow

If the infa visage is taller than the safe n sound kid guard I would go for that because safe n sound boosters have the submarine clip, which your son might find uncomfortable if he doesn't like the harness buckle.

• Like 2

Pooks_

The maxi-cosi Rodi is on sale at baby bunting and looks like it would be structured enough he could lean on the sides, to discourage slouching. Does it have a clip?

Veritas Vinum Arte

I have to admit that for boosters SnS are my last choice due to anti sub clip. I much prefer anti sub armrests like the Rodi. I loved using the EU Rodi in Europe.

Edited by Veritas Vinum Arte
  • Like 1

*holdontight*

We have our 9yr old in a SNS Maxi-Guard Pro & in my DH's car she's in the Maxi-Cosi Rodi, she has quite severe low muscle tone so prefer the MG but the Rodi is really great & can highly recommend it for a NT child, she chose the Rodi over the Kid Guard but take him in and try him in both.

Pooks_

Thanks. He is autistic, his muscle tone is low but not severely. He does slouch a lot so I aim for seats that he can lean against the sides a bit, it’s the thing we’ve noticed isn’t great about the Traveller seat. I’ll take him to Bunting tomorrow to try a couple out, thank you. I’ll just have to work on getting him not to fidget with stretching out the seatbelt.

• Like 1

Veritas Vinum Arte

That is the thing...making sure children don’t fidget and sit correctly in their booster seat (or adult seatbelt - I have to sometimes remind my 11yo who is taller than me to sit up straight correctly in his seat).

LittleMissPink

Skip the SnS boosters, they have a crotch strap. Go for an Infa booster. And move DD to the Rally

lizzybirdsworth

Doesn’t the rally turn into a booster? I’m pretty sure it’s the one we have.

afterlaughter

Maxi Cosi Rodi or Infa Visage are boosters with highest exit markers. All the britax boosters use a ant slide hard between legs so won’t help with crotch problem.

Edited by afterlaughter

Pooks_

Doesn’t the rally turn into a booster? I’m pretty sure it’s the one we have.

Yes it does, but I figured I’d move DD into it since the Neon is snug.

iwanttosleepin

I would go the Maxi Cosi rodi. I have one that my now 10 year old used when he was younger and it is a good seat. The seatbelt path makes the seatbelt fit really well. And the headrest goes up very high.

I would never choose a SnS booster. The stupid crotch strap would drive most older kids mad and make getting them to sit in it a struggle. An argument I don't have the energy for.

• Like 1

Lou-bags

Can I bump this and see how you’re finding whatever seat you chose, Pooks?

I’m considering the Rodi for my tall 5.5yo as he really needs to be moved out of his current seat.

Cheesy Sanga

Can I bump this and see how you’re finding whatever seat you chose, Pooks?

I’m considering the Rodi for my tall 5.5yo as he really needs to be moved out of his current seat.

What seat is he outgrowing? At 5.5yo I'd be looking at a harnessed seat rather than a seat belt booster.

Pooks_

I ended up taking him to Baby Bunting and he lost his sh*t. So I gave up and just took the harness off the Rally. I still want to move DD into it though and my plan is to get the Rodi for DS when it’s next on sale.

Future-self

Since Pooks first posted a new Infa booster has come out that has taller markers again for anyone interested - It's the Infasecure Aspire. Exit markers of 57cm to the tallest on the market https://infasecure.com.au/products/aspire-premium/

A bit narrower than the Rodi and about the same price

little lion

My 6.5 and 4.5 year olds tried the Aspire in store (I was wooed by it online) but it was too narrow for the big kid. I was a bit disappointed.

Pooks_

Oh that’s annoying because I really like the infa seats.

Future-self

My 6.5 and 4.5 year olds tried the Aspire in store (I was wooed by it online) but it was too narrow for the big kid. I was a bit disappointed.

Darn I was wooed online too! And had decided to go with that one at the end of the year when I’m pretty sure DD will grow out of his harnessed seat.

I’ve only seen them online - could I ask where you found them in a physical store? happy for it to be by Pm if you don’t want to share to much location info :)

SplashingRainbows

Wish this thread existed 6 months ago when I bought SnS boosters for my kid for both cars. The anti submarine clip is a PITA. I wish I’d known!