Elly_Bells

FYOS - What's your morning routine?

Elly_Bells

I have a child starting FYOS this week. What do other people do in the mornings regarding getting dressed/breakfast/teeth/bag packed/screen time? DH gets up at 6 which generally means DS gets up then too. He currently eats breakfast in front of the tv but I'm hoping to change that... might be a battle...

Caribou

Our routine is:

6am: get up.

6:15: shower.

6:30: be out of shower and dressed.

6:40: breakfast, I pack lunch for my DD at this time too.

7:00: brush hair and teeth and put socks on.

7:00-8am Watch tv. Sometimes my DD dithers so much she won’t be ready until 7:30, but I do allow a huge buffer for getting ready.

Basically we have a no tv until you’re ready for school rule. Bag must be packed and you must be ready with everything but shoes, they must be at the door, before tv goes on.

If I were you and you want to stop tv with breakfast do it from the first day. It might be hard at first, but if you want to break a habit, no better time than FYOS. New rules

And all. I would tell him the night before what the new routine is. Remind him the faster he gets ready and finishes breakfast he gets to have tv but not before that. For some kids warning them means less Of a battle in mornings.

Good luck!

• Like 2

Lifesgood

No screens of any kind until they are 100% ready. Make it a rule now and stick to it.

As for the order they do things in you can set one (make a list and put it on the fridge) but let them change it around if they want to (so long as toothbrushing comes after eating!).

Eg we were insisting DS get dressed first then have brekkie but he preferred to eat first so we let him change the order.

• Like 1

Charli73

My kids have baths/ showers and pack readers etc the night before to save time.

DS wakes at 6am also, they have to be out the door to OSH club by 7 so we have an hour to get ready ready.

They do have the tv on while they eat breakfast and the dress themselves (I get their clothes out).

DH makes lunches and I put them in bags.

I probably should this year try to encourage them to pack their own bags but my DS has ASD and organisation is not his strong suit. We try and add a new task each term for them to do themselves as the first year can be overwhelming but I think they enjoy the routine.

JomoMum

DS starts FYOS tomorrow.

We will generally follow the same routine we had for daycare, just moved forward a bit.

6.30-7.00 - breakfast - I pack lunchboxes here while he sits at the bench with me and then he can tell me what he’d like to eat etc

7.00-7.30 ish - brush teeth and get dressed

7.30-7.45 - pack lunch and everything in bag

7.45-8.00 - tv if enough time

We do showers at night so not an issue in the morning (though this may change as he gets older).

DS still tends to drop breakfast on his clothes sometimes - mainly when it’s cereal with milk. So we will strictly be getting school uniform on once all messy things are done, including brushing teeth.

Edited by FomoJnr
  • Like 1

Sincerely

DS starts FYOS tomorrow.

We will generally follow the same routine we had for daycare, just moved forward a bit.

6.30-7.00 - breakfast - I pack lunchboxes here while he sits at the bench with me and then he can tell me what he’d like to eat etc

7.00-7.30 ish - brush teeth and get dressed

7.30-7.45 - pack lunch and everything in bag

7.45-8.00 - tv if enough time

We do showers at night so not an issue in the morning (though this may change as he gets older).

DS still tends to drop breakfast on his clothes sometimes - mainly when it’s cereal with milk. So we will strictly be getting school uniform on once all messy things are done, including brushing teeth.

Definitely breakfast first for the reason you stated and also because the person is still 'waking up'. Dressing is faster by someone who is fully awake.

BornToLove

One tip that I found quite useful and will save some battles, give him a check list of everything you want him to do on his own. Make his bed, brush his teeth, get dressed, put on his shoes/hat/sunscreen etc

Make a list of every step and laminate it. Have him check off each task as he does it. You can do a second list for after school as well (empty his bag, put away his shoes and hat, nightly reading etc). Only after he’s ticked each item, then he can have screen time.

Doing this has a lot of benefits but independence and confidence are very important things to work on in FYOS. It will save the battles and nagging in the long run.

• Like 1

Crombek

A visual checklist is very helpful for fyos. We follow a no screens AT ALL rule on a school morning because I was finding that even allowing it after they were ready caused tantrums and lateness at leaving time.

Bathing, lunch boxes and bag prep at night so you aren’t yelling about the missing reader while they are getting ready.

Breakfast - when DS1 was fyos we often left breakfast till in the car on the way as he had trouble eating when he first woke up.

Jenflea

DD isn't affected by screen time, no tantrums or bad sleep etc so I do allow screen time in the morning while she eats breakfast.

She gets up, has her breakfast, brushes her teeth and packs her bag and then gets dressed and has her hair done, then we leave.

She can be ready in about 15 minutes and I take an hour so i start getting ready earlier than she does. It also means she can sleep till 7.30 or later if she wants to.

We're only a few minutes from the school too which is good.

Riotproof

My rule has always been no tv/iPad before school. I find it helps keep the morning smoother.

Now that ds is older, he’s allowed to watch YouTube when everything is done, but when it’s time to go.. it’s drop and run or he misses out the next day.

I recommend coming up with a check list once you know what’s expected each day for school, with some clip art images and the words. That was so helpful when dd was in kindy.

nom_de_plume

I get up at 5am and get myself ready for work. Wake DD at 6am. She gets dressed, sunscreen, brushes teeth/hair, lunchbox in bag and then out of the door at 6:45am to go to before school care.

Showers, bag packed (minus lunchbox) and clothes laid out the night before.

TinMan

Not so much routine, as you can see from my sig block we're well past that but I just wanted to add something that worked at our house from the time DS1 was in FYOS.

I made what I call a "getting ready space". I made it with one of those clothes hanging spaces on wheels, with a wire shelf top and bottom. Everything school related went there, hats on top, shoes on bottom, basket for undies and socks, uniforms hanging from the railing, school bag on bottom rack, swim bag repacked ready to go.

For DS1 who was easily distracted this was in a central location so that I could keep on him to get back to the "getting ready" space and xyz. For DD it was always fine in her room at the foot of her bed.

It's just a central location and it worked very well in this house.

Hope your little one has a great start to school. Time is the devil.

• Like 3

FuzzyChocolateToes

We have no tv and no screen time before school.

• Like 1

froglett
  • Like 3

froglett

Sorry OP that probably wasn’t very helpful.

We have no screens at all. I’ve found them dressing straight out of bed works well here, no arguments as they’re still half asleep. Then breakie while I do lunchboxes. Teeth while I shower and then out the door.

There’s still more yelling than I’d like, but it’s a work in progress. Not looking forward to back to school this year. Much prefer school hold!

seayork2002

DS is in his last year of primary this year - since FYOS he has been allowed to get dressed, eat breakfast and brush his teeth in front of a screen.

DH and I both work FT I do not commute though so have always been the one to do the school organising/run

What I wanted to happen and what has happened is the grand canyon apart but we leave, mostly, sane so it is working.

This in one (of the many) many battles I was not going to mess with.

• Like 1

Funwith4

I make lunches the night before. We have no screen time in the morning at all. I allow an hour and a half to get ready in the morning as my kids take ages to start functioning!

Nobodyelse

I'm not good with routine in general but I also work early so I'm not here for school drop usually. DH stresses with the whole thing so our mornings so our routine is stress out, snap at kids, hustle out door, repeat.

But we did do one thing when DS started school. We got him into the habit of putting his uniform on as soon as he got out of bed. It does make a huge difference to not have to repeatedly make the 'get dressed, put this on, that on, where is that!' every morning. We leave it on the arm chair by his bedroom door and he tumbles out of his room and into his clothes.

Silverstreak

DH does the school mornings twice a week when I'm working, I do it the other three days. When I do it:

I'm up at 7 am, have a shower and a cup of tea.

Wake DS up at 7.45 am if he's not up already (he stays up longer than average during the day, despite everything we've tried!)

DS has hot milk, cereal and fruit for breakfast. Then I remind him to go to the toilet (ASD) and help him get dressed. All school clothes are laid out the night before.

DS will relax in front of ABC kids for 15 mins or so whilst I make his lunch and snack, fill his drink bottle, pack everything in his school bag and get dressed myself. I'll then make some vegemite toast for DS and I to share.

Brush our hair and teeth, check hands and face are clean, put on sunscreen and then we're off to the bus stop. DS has a shower in the afternoons / evenings, which makes things easier, although if he gets up early we both have showers in the morning.

Drive to the bus stop that's a couple of minutes away, for DS to catch the 8.35 school bus.

Make sure DS gets on his school bus and then it's off to the gym, then home to relax. Ah, bliss!

DH is not a morning person, so he'll make lunches the night before and store them in the fridge.

For the first few weeks, DS was very tired and would fall asleep on the way home, but he soon hit his stride.

All the best and enjoy, it's an exciting new time!

EFS

Edited by Silverstreak

casime

Last year:

6:00 - Wake up DS. Put first lot of dogs out for a run. Go have my shower.

6:15 - Wake up DS again. Swap dogs. Go get dressed.

6:30 - Wake up DS again. Prod him towards the kitchen. Sit him in front of TV and give him breakfast, swap dogs, put my makeup on.

6:45 - DS to brush teeth, get dressed. Put dogs away.

7:00 - Grab everything that is needed, get out the door.

This year may be a bit different as I'm working casually so don't need to be at school as early, but DS will also have to go to before school care some mornings. I'll probably stick to the same routine, except we can have some down time from 7:00 until we have to leave on those days we don't need to go early.

Bath the night before, and I always make our lunches and have them sitting in the fridge. The days that I get lazy or forget to do lunches the night before always puts me in more of a stressed mood in the mornings, so this year I'm going to make sure I do it every night. Make sure all bags are packed the night before.

Oh, and remind DS to put his shoes in the same place after school every night so we're not running around looking for wherever he has shed them as he comes through the door the night before.

Silverstreak

Forgot to add, we have a routine when DS comes home from school. Clothes off and in the dirty wash basket and school shoes on the shoe rack, (DS does this), bag checked for notes etc and put away, lunchbox shaken out and wiped, if necessary, school jacket folded for the next day, if it's still clean.

rowsmum

Lunches made, bags packed, children showered, clothing laid out the night before.

I get up 5.45, shower, dress, coffee. Wake DD at 6.30, she gets dressed, we're out the door at 6.50 for 7am drop at before school care. BSC provides breakfast.