ERipley

What do you pack for a FYOS child for lunch? Not sandwiches...

edgeofreality

My daughter also has sensory issues. She’s pretty limited in what she will eat, and very stubborn about not eating at all if not served from her limited array of plain, (usually) bland and all too often “white” foods (white bread, white rice, white pasta, white noodles, white potato). Unfortunately, one of the few things she will eat is peanut butter, but that is out at our school, so I just make do. Often, she ends up with multigrain sandwiches with butter or margarine, a packet of plain salt potato crisps and a half a punnett of blueberries or strawberries or a stone fruit or banana. And a chocolate. Yes, I am that parent. A teacher gave me a brouchure about childhood nutrition and a parent passively aggressively commented about the chocolate and other kids not being so lucky, the implication being that I am setting a bad example. Yes, I know I am, and believe me I would love my child to eat cucumber or olives or even carrot sticks. But it’s not going to happen, and at the end of the day, I would rather she eat something than nothing.

To answer the OP though, I have found that my daughter will occasionally eat hummus rather than peanut butter. I have the best luck if when I send it with little pieces of Turkish bread. She’ll also sometimes eat jatz or clix with mild cheese, or arrowroot biscuits with a smear of vegemite. For a little while she ate vitaweat with butter. I have also had some luck with French stick bread or fruit buns from the baker and, oddly, dry vitabrits or weatbix with butter, margarine or jam.

Edited because I can neither type nor proofread.

Edited by edgeofreality

SplashingRainbows

I last week made up a series of laminated cards with pictures of different lunch ideas for my child to flick through and choose from.

He can read really well but loves to take in information visually.

Not sure of the success rate yet but he seems to prefer me handing him the cards than me asking what he wants for lunch. There’s no flash card that says ‘dunno’!

• Like 1

bluesilk

Mine was very much a 'bento box' kid when he started - cheese, crackers, sliced ham, hommus, cherry tom, cucumber, grapes...But soon realised a sandwich would be faster to eat so he could get more play time!