ERipley

What do you pack for a FYOS child for lunch? Not sandwiches...

Sancti-claws

Slightly off topic, but I remember talking to a mum once who had multiple allergies in two of her children - she said that sometimes "nut-free" was a danger, and she was teaching her children to eat separately from others and to always be aware, as complacency was the worst offender in any allergy regime as children got older.

• Like 4

becstar101

I find that hard to believe, we have a no nuts or egg policy at primary school. Its pretty standard from what I've seen and spoken to around the area.

Our primary school has no nut restrictions. They do have a no food sharing policy. They also have a "nude food" policy, so ask that packaging is minimised and healthier food is prioritised.

My sandwich hating kids have done well with rotating with wraps, rolls, cruskits and saladas. They also have access to a microwave, so leftovers from previous night's dinner works well.

• Like 1

JRA

way back then I would make egg and bacon mini pies - pastry in a muffin tray, and an egg and some bacon in each piece of pastry. So easy, so quick.

vegemite scrolls were also easy, I just did them in the bread machine.

Anything easy to eat, DS never has gone for something that needs a utensil

Chelara

Pikelettes, naan bread, papadums with yoghurt dip, Lebanese bread baked until crisp with hummus or olives, bean salad, pasta salad, rice paper rolls, sushi, baked beans, cream cheese and cruskits, cucumber celery and carrot sticks with a dip.

PocketIcikleflakes

I just try to make sure that there is carb, protein and fruit or veg in there. Sometimes that's made into a sandwich or wrap other times its like a grazing box where everything is separated. Or pasta or noodles in a Thermos.

It's fine to cover the bases and have a lunch of nibbles.

The main thing I found was to be sure they can open the containers :)

• Like 2

Sharalanda

I just whipped up some zucchini and tomato slice. Super easy and it’s something both my kids love so I baked it in mini muffin trays. I’ll freeze them and grab a few out each day for lunch boxes. Cheese and bacon rolls, pasta in a thermos are also popular too.

I always pack a piece of fruit, some crackers and a sweet biscuit or mini muffin as well.

amdirel

Ahhh non-sandwich eaters are painful. I have 3 of them.

They go through short phases of allowing bread rolls with sliced meats, cheese and bacon rolls, or wraps.

They like puff pastry scrolls, but I don't have time for those very often.

2 of them like sushi.

1 of them likes corn thins with tuna.

They like saladas, but don't like fillings.

None of them like all these fancy things like zucchini slice or vegie muffins.

So mostly they take various little bits of foods, not a proper 'lunch item'. So fruits/salad, yoghurt, crackers.

got my tinsel on

way back then I would make egg and bacon mini pies - pastry in a muffin tray, and an egg and some bacon in each piece of pastry. So easy, so quick.

vegemite scrolls were also easy, I just did them in the bread machine.

Anything easy to eat, DS never has gone for something that needs a utensil

I've made egg and bacon mini pies using bread with the crusts cut off instead of pastry. A smear of butter on the inside of the muffin pan made the bread all crunchy and yummy.

ERipley
  • Like 1

JomoMum

We’ll be sending things like wraps (rolled into a sausage shape and cut into wheel pieces), biccies and cheese, carrot with avo/cream cheese dip, fruit etc.

Our school is also looking to move away from ‘nut free’ based on anaphylaxis australia recommendations

https://allergyfacts.org.au/images/pdf/foodbans.pdf

• Like 2

Expelliarmus

I find that hard to believe, we have a no nuts or egg policy at primary school. Its pretty standard from what I've seen and spoken to around the area.

I've not worked at a primary school that is nut free. Usually the policy is that in classes with a child with a peanut allergy a protocol is developed for that class to suit the needs of the child.

FWIW, OP, the children in my class and the school in general eat a range of items from sandwiches and wraps to a thermos filled with curries, noodles or chicken nuggets.

• Like 1

Malkin Slinkhard

At the back to school PD I did last week, the nurse who spoke to us did say they are wanting to move away from banning foods. Partly to avoid complacency, partly because while banning peanuts may be simple, banning something like dairy is more difficult and they consider it unfair to be able to ban some foods and not others. They wanted to emphasise not sharing foods and making sure staff are properly trained to deal with anaphylaxis instead.

Dianalynch

There are two fruit breaks plus recess and lunch at my kid's school, 4 breaks! Only me that finds that a lot?

So we pack

Fruit breaks - strawberries, Apple, grapes, banana, dried fruit if I've run out of fresh, blueberries, both kids will not eat all of these...

Recess - cheese, crackers and cherry tomatoes for DD, corn on the cob and a banana/date muffin for DS

Lunch - beef pastrami and cheese rolls with a muesli bar.

If DD doesn't have a roll, she likes cheese, salada, mini tomatoes, carrot sticks, cucumber, etc.

I hate packing lunch boxes.

• Like 1

SplashingRainbows

I’ve got a GF child.

We’ve had some success with GF bolognese in a thermos.

Also trialing a banana and GF muesli bar for ‘lunch’ this year. Better than nuthin.

On my wish he would eat list

* mini quiche

* homemade sausage rolls

* chicken on a stick

* tasting plate of veges/chicken cubes/cold sausage/ham/ boiled egg

* sushi

* rice paper rolls

* fried rice

* crackers and cheese

* vegetable muffins

* mini pizzas

Edited by SplashingRainbows

Overtherainbow

Fruit, salad, rice cakes, rice crackers, pasta salad, quiche, pizza scrolls, soup, sushi, wraps, muffins, rice. Options are only limited by your imagination (and allergies).

Paddlepop

Not at my DD's school. No restrictions on food, even with an anaphylactic child in DD's class last year. The children are taught not to share their food, and will get in trouble if they are caught sharing food.

You can ask the teacher. Most classes eat in their classrooms, so I assume as long as there are no nut allergies present it might be ok?

Not all schools eat in their classrooms. I'd never heard of it before EB. The children eat outside, underneath the buildings or on the grass within their given area. Surely the classrooms get grotty if the children eat inside? I know that the birds have a great time cleaning up the dropped food at DD's school after meal breaks. The only time they eat inside the classroom is in extreme weather eg really heavy rain, really super windy, very hot, or very cold.

PrincessPeach

Whereas I've never worked at a school where nuts or eggs are banned school wide. A class with an anaphylactic student may request no nuts or eggs but that's it.

It's not commonplace near me, although our school is currently nut free due to students with severe anaphylaxis to nuts, it hasn't always been that way (my nephew is going into year 5 at the school).

Edited by PrincessPeach

Riotproof

We’ll be sending things like wraps (rolled into a sausage shape and cut into wheel pieces), biccies and cheese, carrot with avo/cream cheese dip, fruit etc.

Our school is also looking to move away from ‘nut free’ based on anaphylaxis australia recommendations

https://allergyfacts.org.au/images/pdf/foodbans.pdf

This is quite true. Nut free encourages complacency, especially as it is not within the schools control to enforce it.

I’d like it if our school was only nut aware, then I could send way more options with ds. I suspect, but I don’t know, that they must loosen everything as kids get older. After all, there aren’t any nut free policies in high school afaik.

• Like 1

Threelittleducks

We do a combination of-

Bliss ball

Mini muffin

Yoghurt

Vegemite and cheese or ham and cheese wrap/ sandwich

Boiled egg

Grapes/ blueberries/ banana/ kiwi fruit strawberries/ other fruit

Sticks of capsicum, carrot, cucumber, snow peas, cherry tomatoes, beans, avocado, sugar snaps, baby cucumbers

Hummus, cheese and crackers

Chicken kebab

Dried fruit

Vegemite scroll

Corn on cob

Good Luck

22Fruitmincepies

DD takes veggie sticks, some crackers, and either cheese or edamame. Occasionally she will have a butter, or jam, or vegemite sandwich. Fruit and maybe a biscuit or mini muffin for morning tea. It’s easy to put together, and she eats it.

mandelbrot

My kids like quesadillas, and they last pretty well if made in a batch on Sunday for lunches through the week.

• Like 1

*Ker*

No nuts is more preschool and day care.

Whereas I've never worked at a school where nuts or eggs are banned school wide. A class with an anaphylactic student may request no nuts or eggs but that's it.

Both primary schools my kids have been to have been nut-free. Both kids had ana friends anyhow, and mine both hate peanuts. DS's high school is a free for all on what they take.

.Jerry.

As I always say in these type of threads: Qld state schools are not nut free. Kids can bring peanut butter sandwiches.(was going to link the guidelines, but the page not available at moment)

I make little "sushi" rolls from bread, like these:

https://www.taste.com.au/recipes/avocado-tuna-sushi-sandwiches/d097221f-edcd-4937-9e19-005b60242efa

But I put a strip of nori around it as well. Fillings can change.

Also send little tub of pasta or pasta salad.

My big tip: don't send too much. It gets overwhelming for little ones.

They will likely eat less than you think they should, as it is hot and busy and rushed.

• Like 2

nom_de_plume

It depends on the school. Our school (and preschool) doesn’t ban anything despite having kids with allergies who attend.

My daughter has a kid who is allergic to tree nuts in her class (he was at her preschool too). If we send nut products we just have to notify the teacher and the kids with nut products are seated on the furthest table from the kid with nut allergies.

It’s actually worked really well. By the middle of last year, all the kids knew little Johnny couldn’t have nuts, so if they wanted to sit with him for lunch they didn’t bring nut products. I know many parents won’t see it the same way, but It also sets them up well for the real world, which isn’t allergen free.

zeldazonk

My daughter's school does not have any banned foods. The kids eat in the classroom before they play and there is a strict no sharing rule. I would discuss the possibility of PB sandwiches with the teacher (if there are no kids with a peanut allergy in the class). It is much easier if they can have a sandwich!

We give my daughter a bento style lunch box and put in small amounts of different things we know she will eat. This is usually a combination of some of the following:

* vegemite sandwich

* salada crackers with butter or vegemite

* carrot sticks

* cucumber sticks

* fruit (strawberries, grapes, apples etc)

* popcorn

* pretzels

* muffins

* ham/chicken

* yoghurt (they are allowed to take in the pouches)

* cheese

She is super fussy so we don't worry about variety too much. Once a week she gets a lunch order.

Edited by zeldazonk