Sign in to follow this  
IkeaAddict

Kids Medicine

IkeaAddict

So DS age 8 has a virus causing sore throat, headache and mild temperatures. GP said to rest and give panadol/nurofen as needed. Yeah. Not so easy for a child who is medicine-phobic. He won't take any kids liquid forms of panadol or nurofen. Won't take the dissolvable stuff. I got the Nurofen orange flavour chews, he refused those as well. He can't swallow tablets, or capsules, we have tried, they make him gag. Ultimately it is him that is suffering and is refusing to do anything about it. We tried panadol crushed up in ice cream and custard, he said he could taste it. He doesn't like honey or jam or anything else that we could really put it in and give quickly on a spoon.

Bribery isn't working, the pain isn't enough of an incentive to endure a bad taste for a few minutes to help the pain relief.

I guess I am after a magic solution LOL that might work with him. Short of trying a suppository when he is asleep we really canot think of any way to get something into him. And as mentioned, it's more for his comfort than anything else.

Mollyksy

That sucks. Maybe added to a strong tasting milkshake?

How does he feel about a suppository? Does it make trying the kids liquid again more palatable?

Thankfully DS will accept one of the nurofen liquids or this could easily be us.

The dissolvable stuff with added lemonade from memory isnt too bad.

Nutella on a spoon?

Hope he feels better soon.

Paddlepop

Mix the liquid into a drink? eg orange Nurofen into a drink of orange juice?

MeThree

Saw this topic, knew it'd be you!

Silly E, he's just like Tyler.

No pearls of anything helpful, but you're welcome to come and raid my medicine safe to see if there's anything different he might try before buying anything else. I know I've got chewable blueberry advil. Might be worth a go?

Good luck!

BornToLove

If it’s just a virus and hes uncomfortable but not miserable, I would just offer things like ice chips, vapo rub and a cuddle to help but not medicate him.

Of course if he’s miserable or his fever is getting worse, I would push the medicine.

• Like 3

Kiwi Bicycle

Ahh trying to get medicine into a child. The joys. I had to get a really bitter tablet into my 4 year old twice a day. Couple of things to try

Apparently pineapple and pineapple juice can mask flavours. However that didn't work for us.

Compounding pharmacy. You get to choose from heaps of different flavourings that they mix in with medications. It cost about $40 per repeat. DS found the chocolate one was to his liking. Actually did smell really chocolatey. Maybe try chocolate milkshake or icecream syrup?

Edited by Kiwi Bicycle

.Jerry.

Unless he is quite ill I wouldn't worry about it.

Just keep him comfy, give water and let him rest to recover.

• Like 5

BBC

Peanut butter?

My DD 8 has learned how to take a pill now by practising with swallowing mini M and Ms. perhaps worth a try when he is feeling better.

• Like 1

Veritas Vinum Arte

We do liquid orange Nurofen in pineapple juice.

We also found the Nurofen Zavance caplets the best smallest for the kids to swallow.

Due to their hate of liquids and chewable medications we got them on swallowing tablets early. I would get surprise from GPs when I would ask for Antibiotics as capsules to be swallowed over liquids. So much easier to get my kids to take.

Crombek

I let my 7 year old suffer. He’s old enough to understand that he is choosing to feel unwell rather than endure a yucky taste for a short amount of time. It sounds heartless but when painkillers were turning into hour long issues with tears & vomiting due to anxiety about the taste I figured it couldn’t get worse by not having it. I save the battles for essential medicine.

Soontobegran

He doesn't need medicine for a mild fever and if he is refusing something for his throat then I'd let it go.

He is 8 and if he has no special needs he will learn that he must comply if he wants to be pain free.

Hope he gets better soon.

• Like 3

Manicmum

Panadol mini caps worked here. They are smaller and slipperier. It took about 15 to get the first one down, but it was well worth it. They put it as far back on their tongue as they can and gulp the water. My daughter would sip and gag. They need to gulp.

I did also offer to get suppositories, I think that helped too.

Tinselonthefloor

I always had success with liquid medicine on a spoon covered in 100s and 1000s ( sprinkles )

CallMeFeral

If he is happier to endure it, then let him. AFAIK panadol/nurofen are purely relief of symptoms, so if he'd prefer to go without that then it's his call. Some articles lately have suggested that's better anyway (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4703655/)

But if you do keep going the route of trying to mix meds in with things, I'd go the orange flavoured nurofen in something sweet and citrusy. Crushed panadol tastes like the devil and I'd be able to detect it in almost anything I think. Liquid panadol also has a very lingering taste although not as bitter. I think nurofen orange is the only one I'd give a shot of going incognito.

Edited by CallMeFeral

MissMilla

My opinion might not be popular, but since its nothing life threatening I wouldnt go out of my way to give him meds.

The medication wont speed along the process, it will only give him some relief while the immunsystem heals. Since he doesnt want to take anything, i would just let him suffer.

Offer it of course, but tell him that if he doesnt want the meds you cant help him.

At 8 years old he should ve old enough to understand 'Heres the medication, it will make you feel better. Take it or leave it.'

Edited by MissMilla

atthebeach

i would tend to give my kids an immune-booster, elderberry syrup (sambucol or equivalent from iherb) in that situation. even my child who hated liquid panadol or nurofen actually likes elderberry syrup. and i do think it speeds up recovery.

Octopodes

I'd just let him be. Once he is well again it might be worth teaching him to swallow tablets. I taught DS at 4yo using m&ms, he was happy to swallow those because chocolate.

I hope your son feels better soon.

IkeaAddict

I let my 7 year old suffer. He’s old enough to understand that he is choosing to feel unwell rather than endure a yucky taste for a short amount of time. It sounds heartless but when painkillers were turning into hour long issues with tears & vomiting due to anxiety about the taste I figured it couldn’t get worse by not having it. I save the battles for essential medicine.

He doesn't need medicine for a mild fever and if he is refusing something for his throat then I'd let it go.

He is 8 and if he has no special needs he will learn that he must comply if he wants to be pain free.

Hope he gets better soon.

No special needs, just extremely stubborn. I managed to get 1 nurofen orange flavoured chew thing into hm last night, but even that was "eww gross mum" and he refused the second one. So yes, I go with the "he's old enough his choice" approach. He's of the opinion so far today that XBox is making his symptoms feel better so we'll go with that one for now. When he complains later of sore throat or whatever we will offer him what we have, if he refuses it then that's just too bad for him.

And yes, I definitely plan on getting him to swallow tablets by usng skittles and M and Ms. He seems to have an aversion to al liquid forms of medicine so the tablet idea might be better

• Like 1

born.a.girl

You've mentioned that he doesn't like honey or jam, so this may not be of much use, but Mum used to use condensed milk to crush tablets with. This would have been back in the day before any kid versions, so was probably a pretty standard way of getting adult sized tablets (obviously kid dose) into kids.

That stuff's so sweet I think it would obliterate taste been than some of the other things.

Lifesgood

Does he like herbal tea? My kids both like a cup of peppermint tea especially if they are unwell - it is soothing for a sore throat and the fluids would be helpful generally.

Future-self

My DS is/was anti medicine. I didn’t push it. as Pp said, it’s symptomatic relief . After watching his sister have medicine he stopped being so anti it and I knew he was very sick once day when he asked for it. He had strep throat so thankfully as long as we had a big glass of cold water ready to “wash it away” he took both the antibiotics and nurofen. I guess for you as long as he knows it’s an option and why we have medicine, he may just need to be sick enough to need it :)

Inkogneatoh

Panadol mini caps worked here. They are smaller and slipperier. It took about 15 to get the first one down, but it was well worth it. They put it as far back on their tongue as they can and gulp the water. My daughter would sip and gag. They need to gulp.

I did also offer to get suppositories, I think that helped too.

I know I've made the suggestion on other boards, and I know i probably sound partially crazy, but use a shot glass (or medicine cup). A little liquid in the mouth and then by throwing the tablets back like a shot, they land in the back of your mouth.

At about 6 I was given adult strength antibiotics for tonsillitis which were huge. It left me gagging with pills for years, even the contraceptive pill would make me gag. Throwing them back like a shot has greatly help, resulting in being able to take multiple large tablets at once.

Although Mum takes Ural every morning. She has it in a cup with cordial mixed 50/50 with water, and drinks it down real quick.

Soontobegran

Although Mum takes Ural every morning. She has it in a cup with cordial mixed 50/50 with water, and drinks it down real quick.

Try Ural with cranberry, it is most palatable......no need to dilute at all.