ERipley

Kids ninja type class in inner Melbourne?

ERipley

Looking for some kind of fun martial arts type thing for my 5yo. I don’t want anything incredibly serious. It’s just about fun exercise and gross motor skills. Any ideas?

ERipley

And yes I did google. It tuned up many options do I’m not sure what’s good.

Chaotic Pogo

How inner Melbourne? There is a really good one in Hawthorn.

ERipley

Pooks_

Halls Taekwondo, there’s one in Brunswick. We went to a different location but the program is excellent. Really solid assertiveness training, fun, structured, positive.

ERipley

Halls Taekwondo, there’s one in Brunswick. We went to a different location but the program is excellent. Really solid assertiveness training, fun, structured, positive.

This sounds really good! Thank you!

niban

I'd recommend judo at that age (and that's from someone who has done tae kwon do and karate (striking arts) for years)

Judo I think gives them good body awareness and doesn't involve kicking/punching. My current karate club gets the younger kids from 5-7 in a more fun style class before joining the kids classes at 7 (and even then some of the kids find the syllabus a bit challenging)

That said, the style doesn't matter so much as the teachers and the atmosphere - I'd go visit a couple of different places before making a decision - most clubs have a couple of free lessons or are happy for you to visit.

atthebeach

i would also recommend halls taekwondo in brunswick. the instructors are fantastic there, and every parent i've met whose kids go there raves about it.

for ninja type stuff, there is fighting lyons in essendon north but i haven't heard any parents comments about it.

Ozquoll

How inner Melbourne? There is a really good one in Hawthorn.

I’m looking for one in Hawthorn for DS - what is the name of the good one?!

mandelbrot

Bounce in Glen Eira do ninja classes. I think it's more parkour rather than martial arts though.

And the minimum age is 8 - which is a big pity as I have two kids desperate to try it. It's also pretty expensive.

There's also a place in Mount Waverley that does it from age 5, but that's no use if you're on the north side of things. Again, it's more parkour than martial arts.

Chaotic Pogo

I’m looking for one in Hawthorn for DS - what is the name of the good one?!

PM you :)

zenkitty

Not quite ninja but Westside Circus in Preston does kids circus classes. Might have the same combo of fun exercise and gross motor skills? My pretty uncoordinated nephew loved it (he’s quick to drop something if there’s too much pressure so it must have been fun!).

Fossy

Jiu jitsu is popular around here for a non combative martial arts, focusing on conflict avoidance techniques etc.

Also popular are bounce squad, acrobatics and diving

ERipley

Thanks everyone! It’s of good information here. I think we’re going to wait until he’s settled into a school routine then try one of these.

Delillah1

Guests in Thornbury does ninja type martial arts. It is on Dundas st near Chifley drive.