ineedmorecoffee

First signs of BO - just turned 7 yr old dd

ineedmorecoffee

DD turned 7 last month and we have noticed in the last few days that she is starting to get smelly armpits. Not extreme but its noticeable.

She is tall for her age, is normal weight and has no other signs of early puberty so not to worried. Just making sure that no showers are missed, especially due to the current heatwave.

Should she start using deodorant? Does it mattter what kind of deodorant it is?

Do we need to see a GP and get her checked out?

Feeling like this has all happened too quickly and not too sure what to do.

Edited by ineedmorecoffee

Caribou

Smelly airports are all part of growing up and puberty. This article may help with what you can do to minimise smell.

https://www.healthline.com/health/smelly-armpits#4

I don’t think you need a GP.

But ultimately, shower daily, after sports, wear certain types of clothes (material wise) and use anti-persperiant to block the sweat or deodorant to mask smell.

• Like 1

Serinitynow

No need for a gp. Just buy some deodorant?

Silverstreak

I was going to start a similar thread and DS isn’t 7 yet! He is tall and muscular for his age. He showers daily and wears loose cotton tops, (apart from school shirts).

He’s now been soaping under his arms in the shower, which has made a slight difference. What gentle antiperspirant does everyone use?

Silverstreak

And yeah, this has caught me by surprise, I didn’t use deodorant until I was at least 10 or 11.

EFS

Edited by Silverstreak

SplashingRainbows

Hmm I’d be thinking it’s too early too. I wouldn’t be rushing off to the GP as if it was emergency but I do think it’s worth a mention. Puberty at 7 would be a concern to me.

• Like 1

Manicmum

It’s s little young. I bought deodorant for one of my nine year olds last year, she hasn’t really needed it again until this summer. I would just see how she goes. It doesn’t mean puberty is imminent.

Tetinks

My daughter started getting BO about the same age, maybe a little closer to 8. She’s now nearly 11 and def going through puberty - she’s had underarm hair for about a year and is starting to get breastbuds. No period yet but I wouldn’t be surprised if it was this year. She’s very tall, slim, sporty and mercifully has taken everything in her stride and is not phased by the changes. We talk about them as no big deal and I bought her a great book called the care and keeping of you. It’s great because it doesn’t just focus on puberty changes, but things like how to care for your teeth and hair etc. it’s very non-confrontational for younger girls.

We found an aluminum free antiperspirant at the supermarket. It’s in a dark blue pump pack and does the trick.

• Like 1

Luci

DD started getting smelly armpits around the age of 8. Not all the time, mainly just after playing sport. She started puberty on the early side of average.

Silverstreak

Ah, will check out the aluminium free antiperspirant. I want a roll on to keep in the bathroom, for DS to use as soon as he's out of the shower.

• Like 2

Baroness Bubbles

My DD started getting strong BO at 6

She is now 10 and showing no other signs of puberty

Deodorant wise, we need to use either rexona or mitcham clinical as nothing else stops the smell unfortunately.

José

My DD started getting strong BO at 6

She is now 10 and showing no other signs of puberty

Deodorant wise, we need to use either rexona or mitcham clinical as nothing else stops the smell unfortunately.

i find black chicken works really well.

• Like 1

AdelTwins

I have just started my 7yo on Moo Goo Deodorant. He was starting to have smelly armpits on any day he was physically active. He only uses a little bit and it works really well.

liveworkplay

Just keep an eye on other signs of puberty. My DD2 had pretty bad BO at that age. She started to get body hair as well. It was slowly progressing but she got her period at 10.5 yrs old.

Get some deodorant. I would highly recommend No Pong. It is a natural one but really works. It is the only one that stops DD2's BO and we have tried many, many brands both highly chemical based and natural.

Edited by liveworkplay
  • Like 1

Veritas Vinum Arte

Having had one child do puberty early and quickly I do know Drs are reluctant to use endocrine blockers to slow it down (due to severe side effects of medications involved). I had a child who was chronologically 12 yrs but puberty wise 16yrs. Makes life interesting.

DSwas 9yrs when he started but it was considered the early side of normal not precocious puberty. 7yo BO for a girl would most likely be considered early but not abnormally so. DD (just turned 9) has had smelly armpits on and off for the past 2 years. She already has breast buds (developing at 8yrs). My 11yo DS2 I expect will have his voice break before the end of the year.

Early Quick puberty reigns in my house unfortunately.

ineedmorecoffee

I’ll pick up some aluminium free deodorant and be more vigilant with washing under the arms.

I will mention it next time we’re seeing the GP.

Thank you EB, my constant help with parenting.

FuzzyChocolateToes

Smelly airports are all part of growing up and puberty.

:lol: smelly airports indeed!

• Like 2

Caribou

laughing2.gif smelly airports indeed!

:lol: autocorrect at it's finest.

• Like 2

EsmeLennox

My son started with the BO about 7-8...he’s now 13. He was probably a bit earlier than average with puberty, but not drastically so...maybe started 12-18 months earlier than his older brother. But stink! He’s just gonna be a strong body odour person.

Gegemite

Get on to No Pong!

All natural and great for the whole family. Leaves no smell on you and at the end of the day your pits smell just like the rest of your body.

I wish I knew about it years ago!

• Like 3

Riotproof

I think sometimes it’s just a lack of washing under there. So I’m reminding him and it does seem better. Though as I keep telling him, what’s the harm in using it?

Orangecake

DS started to get smelly armpits just before 7. His GP wasn't too worried, but we were already booked in to see a paed about another health issue, so added this to the referral.

We've just seen paed and they were not particularly concerned. They did order some blood tests to be sure. Currently working up to this as DS hates needles!

A good armpit scrub at night and cotton shirts help a lot. I'm planning to try a natural deodorant for school as poly blend shirts and running around all day don't do any favours.

Silverstreak

Oh yes, the polyester school shirts are a shocker for hoarding the er ...fragrance, so to speak lol.

• Like 1

Paddlepop

My DD started getting BO at about 7yo. We bought her a deodorant to use. Just a normal Nivea roll on in a fragrance that she liked. I was using a Nivea roll on so that's why we bought Nivea. She only needed a small amount to keep the smell under control.

A few months later she had a dev. paed. appointment for other issues, and I mentioned the BO. He asked if she had any other signs of puberty, like underarm hair, pubic hair or breast buds. She didn't, so he wasn't worried at all. If she did have any of those he would have ordered blood tests.

opethmum

I use Tea Tree Oil deodorant, nice smell low allergen for my DD who is prone to eczema.