Sign in to follow this  
Hopeful2016

Hiring a temp nanny in inner west Melbourne

Hopeful2016

Hi all, I will be looking for a nanny 3 days a week, 10 hours per day from 1 oct to the end of this year to care for a 6 month old pre-day care starting in jan. I am in the inner west suburbs Melbourne. I really have no idea where to start-happy to go though an agency (any recommendations?) but when should I seriously start looking? Is there much of a risk I won’t be able to find one? (Day care spots are scarce in my area, not sure whether nannys are also in short supply?)

Interested in any helpful advice or reality checks-already feeling stressed about my return to work and I haven’t even had the baby yet!

ERipley

I think you’ll be fine with those hours and a newborn! Nannies love them because they’re easy. And they often won’t go for roles that aren’t a full day.

I would stay away from Night Nannies. They will hire anyone and a woman they sent stole $120 from me. They are a total mess.

I’ve heard good things about “Melbourne’s Leading Nanny Agency”.

ERipley

Oh and you have plenty of time to start looking. In my experience they are happy to say they will take the job then leave you in the lurch at the last second if they find an easier job elsewhere. I would ask the agency if they can guarantee this won’t happen but I doubt they can.

alchetta

I would try asking around everyone you know in the local area to see if they have a recommendation. I was at a local playground and got chatting to an Au Pair who had a friend looking for some daytime work in addition to her live in situation - she was with AIFS but I have a feeling they only do live in au pairs? https://www.aifs.com.au/aupair-australia/

I'm in your area and had a similar situation but I ended up giving up on finding a part time nanny and used an alternative childcare centre that had availability to get me through the first 5 months. It wasn't ideal but it's over now and she's now in where we wanted to be and thriving.

Dani_R

I'm in inner west Melbourne too. Are you part of the Inner West mums and bubs facebook group? They are a wealth of information!

Hopeful2016

Hi Dani yes I am a member of that group-asked they a ysimilar qn a couple of months ago!! Agree, it’s such a great source of info!

smday

I hired a nanny off Gumtree, I did all the checks etc myself - she is very experienced and qualified, and has been with us over a year now

I also found good babysitters off ineedananny (?or similar site which lets you look through lots of candidates)

I think once you're willing to pay a certain amount, you will find a good candidate