cabbage88

How does everyone else afford this? UPDATED

Nobodyelse

I'd better sell 1.5 of mine.

premmie

DH and I both went to private Jewish Day school. When our boys were born we didn't really imagine that we would choose something different for them. We decided on our excellent local public school for our kids. We're saving our money for private high school. It was a bit of a leap of faith (pardon the pun) as we had no experience whatsoever with the public system. Its an excellent school and both my older boys have thrived. I still can't believe our luck and we are saving upwards for $45k in fees. Based on uniforms and school fees only I think we spent under $1000 on two kids last year.

Religious education and Hebrew lessons are done as extra curricular. In line with my more recent thinking that religion and practice is a private matter between you and your god.

If I'm honest 90% of religious educations/practice and identity and Zionism (for us) comes from home. So I can understand wanting the religious education for your kids, but financially that seems to be out of your reach at this time. Look into additional religious education/youth groups etc outside school hours if you feel your daughter would miss out. And honestly if she has issues with her faith being questioned in public, then she'll need to get over it, unless the kids are being needlessly cruel.

Edited by premmie

amaza

I don't think it's necessary to come into the large families forum to tell an already pregnant OP to have less kids.

Giving her ideas to get by is fine. Telling her not to have more than two kids when she's already got 3 (nearly 4) is really just inappropriate.

• Like 7

cvbn

I don't think it's necessary to come into the large families forum to tell an already pregnant OP to have less kids.

Giving her ideas to get by is fine. Telling her not to have more than two kids when she's already got 3 (nearly 4) is really just inappropriate.

Yes, and quite frankly, daft.

She can't stuff them back.

• Like 5

Greatmum

I don’t send my kids to private school that how we afford it. No way we could afford $5000 on school fees.

• Like 2

cabbage88

Updated

deedee15

Sorry OP but I don’t think increasing your work hours given that you are pregnant, is sustainable, just so you can keep your child at an expensive private primary school, good luck with it though.

• Like 1

cabbage88

Sorry OP but I don’t think increasing your work hours given that you are pregnant, is sustainable, just so you can keep your child at an expensive private primary school, good luck with it though.

We picked up a side job and earned enough in 10 days to pay her whole years fee. I'm happy with that- it's not a long term solution (That work is rare) but it at least gives me until next year to decide what we want to do.

But definitely once bub comes and mat leave fishes up we will need to figure ourselves out again for next year.

José

We decided on our excellent local public school for our kids. We're saving our money for private high school. It was a bit of a leap of faith (pardon the pun) as we had no experience whatsoever with the public system. Its an excellent school and both my older boys have thrived. I still can't believe our luck and we are saving upwards for $45k in fees. Based on uniforms and school fees only I think we spent under $1000 on two kids last year.

there are many wonderful public schools, i don't think its about luck though. its mostly due to the dedicated and wonderful school staff who often work well with their committed families to create a lovely learning environment.

• Like 4

José

We picked up a side job and earned enough in 10 days to pay her whole years fee. I'm happy with that- it's not a long term solution (That work is rare) but it at least gives me until next year to decide what we want to do.

But definitely once bub comes and mat leave fishes up we will need to figure ourselves out again for next year.

im glad you have figured something out that you're happy with.

personally, id be concerned about enrolling my child in a school with doubts about how i could afford it. i know you said you can afford it this year but you dont even know about next year let alone more long term.

i hope it all works out for you.

• Like 1

got my tinsel on

im glad you have figured something out that you're happy with.

personally, id be concerned about enrolling my child in a school with doubts about how i could afford it. i know you said you can afford it this year but you dont even know about next year let alone more long term.

i hope it all works out for you.

and by next year you will have another child and your ability to pick up extra work may have disappeared.

Your money, your choice OP, but I will stand by my earlier posts - your responsibility is to feed your children and yourselves before spending money on private schools. I think the money from your extra work would have been much better spent on food.

• Like 3

MrsLexiK

I don’t actually have a large family but read your update. Would your DH be willing to swap the roles around if you earn more then he does? For mat leave etc.

We’ve chosen public (we do have good public here) but I had the luxury of private (very high traditional single sex private) and the extras (holidays, brand clothes, big house etc) . DH had religion private (low fees like you have and the expectation that he attend) and family struggled. His parents struggled and really only came out of the struggle when they stopped paying school fees! What I remember now as a 31 year old with my own kids is not “the school yard” it’s holidays with my families, family school picnics, Sunday’s going for a lunch in the hills, readers at a night time, etc. when I read my children stories from their first bible I don’t think back to school chapel but rather Good Friday or Easter Sunday with the family.

• Like 4

premmie

there are many wonderful public schools, i don't think its about luck though. its mostly due to the dedicated and wonderful school staff who often work well with their committed families to create a lovely learning environment.

They absolutely do, it's a lovely school. My point was that we feel lucky to have this wonderful school. Because we were more than willing to spend the private school fees if need be.