cabbage88

How does everyone else afford this? UPDATED

overlytired

I'll clear this up.

The last 8 weeks, we were paid in fortnightly cycles and one lot went to rent one lot we are living off. The weeks we paid rent we went "CRAP there's nothing left for groceries!!"

Can you make arrangements with the owner / agent to pay half the rent when you get paid and the other half at the next payday (so, 1st and 15th of the month, for example)? That would alleviate the roller-coaster food issues (and perhaps eventually allow you to buy extra staples to have on hand when things are leaner – many foods are cheaper in bulk).

• Like 2

EmmDasher

The cost of moving is a couple of grand at least. I would factor that in as well. Move to a cheaper place for 100 dollars less but it costs 4k to move.

I have no solution other than to find another income stream.

How does moving cost $4k? Interstate maybe? We moved a few weeks ago and the total cost was about $500 including cardboard boxes and hiring a couple of guys with a truck from Facebook.

• Like 3

overlytired

How does moving cost $4k? Interstate maybe? We moved a few weeks ago and the total cost was about $500 including cardboard boxes and hiring a couple of guys with a truck from Facebook.

I suspect PP's estimate is when the movers come to pack, load, unload, and unpack. DIY is definitely cheaper.

EmmDasher

I suspect PP's estimate is when the movers come to pack, load, unload, and unpack. DIY is definitely cheaper.

Oh right, I’ve never even contemplated that.

• Like 2

Cimbom

I don't remember the exact price but we paid 1.5-2k to move from Canberra to Sydney. This was about three rooms of furniture and the rest of the items (from 3 bedroom house) were kept in the moving company's storage facility in Canberra. There's no way it'd cost 4k to move within the same city unless you lived in a mansion

Edited by Cimbom

~river song~

I don't think planning to earn more money is realistic at this stage. OP might be able to work a bit now, but she's about to have a baby so will be out of the workforce for at least a few months and - depending on her earning capacity - will lose a lot in daycare fees.

Also, are you hoping to save for a house at some point, OP? I think you need to work towards having at least $1000 in the bank for a rainy day. And as things stand now, it looks like you don't have any capacity to build up a buffer.

When you don’t have enough money, finding a way to earn or make more is the only realistic option once you’ve looked at your budget and there isn’t enough to cover it. Many ways to make an extra dollar, that don’t always involve being out of the home all day long. Depending on the OP or her DH’s skill set a side hustle can make a world of difference when you need to cover your groceries

• Like 2

Crazyone26989

I don't remember the exact price but we paid 1.5-2k to move from Canberra to Sydney. This was about three rooms of furniture and the rest of the items (from 3 bedroom house) were kept in the moving company's storage facility in Canberra. There's no way it'd cost 4k to move within the same city unless you lived in a mansion

Pretty sure the PP who suggested the 4K does live in a Mansion or close to it.

Cost us just over $500 to move a two bedroom unit. Probably could've got it cheaper.

Edited by Crazyone26989

overlytired

Many ways to make an extra dollar, that don’t always involve being out of the home all day long. Depending on the OP or her DH’s skill set a side hustle can make a world of difference when you need to cover your groceries

Agreed. Simple things like dog-walking can be fairly lucrative. There used to be someone in my neighbourhood who walked 3 or 4 dogs at once. It only took up 60-90 mins of her time and paid fairly well. Where I live, the going rate is $20 per dog per hour.

(Just an example, I realize OP is pregnant and this scenario may not be realistic for her.)

cabbage88

We just moved and all up it was at least 4k.

Removalist, although we packed our own stuff, we are both physically unable to move it all like we used to (me being pregnant and DH having chronic illness) was about 1k though we moved the boxes ourselves. Double rent, maybe 1k. We cleaned the old place ourselves but still have to pay for steam cleaning etc. And our bond was 2k, had to pay before we moved but only had 1k back from our previous place. And relocating utilities, missing work, buying boxes, it all ended up being 4k all up.

• Like 3

amdirel

Moving is very expensive when you're renting. You need a lump sum of 6 weeks rent (a few grand!). Moving truck/removalist costs ($500 or so), plus time to move (maybe time off work). Due to it being impossible to time rentals perfectly, you're likely to be paying double rent for a couple of weeks. You hope to goodness you get all your bond back, but depends on the mood of the agent, and it doesn't hit your account until a couple of weeks after anyway.

• Like 3

cabbage88

Agreed. Simple things like dog-walking can be fairly lucrative. There used to be someone in my neighbourhood who walked 3 or 4 dogs at once. It only took up 60-90 mins of her time and paid fairly well. Where I live, the going rate is $20 per dog per hour.

(Just an example, I realize OP is pregnant and this scenario may not be realistic for her.)

We have a lot of option for side hussle! I've been avoiding it because hubby is struggling enough health wise with working FT (has a chronic illness) I'm worried him working weekends will push him over, and until recently I had hyperemesis! Was very sick. But I've got a really valuable skill set, and can pretty easily pick up high paying short term work when it's busy and I can (and have done- got some extra shifts over the next few weeks).

• Like 1

amdirel

Removalist, although we packed our own stuff, we are both physically unable to move it all like we used to (me being pregnant and DH having chronic illness) was about 1k though we moved the boxes ourselves. Double rent, maybe 1k. We cleaned the old place ourselves but still have to pay for steam cleaning etc. And our bond was 2k, had to pay before we moved but only had 1k back from our previous place. And relocating utilities, missing work, buying boxes, it all ended up being 4k all up.

Snap OP, we posted at the same time. Yes, it is very costly to move as a renter!

Nobodyelse

My last move.

First month's rent overlapped so paying double rent for two weeks. $1800.

Bond. $1800.

Movers. $600.

Cleaner to help but we did most ourselves- $100

That is more than $4k. It would be more but fortunately, neither DH or I had to take an unpaid day off work. I've lost about $400 in wages in past moves.

My side hustle is delivering with UberEats.

Edited by Nobodyelse
  • Like 1

Tinky Winky Woo

For future reference, you do not need to buy boxes to move. Put adds on your local buy swap sell pages, there are often boxes there for free. There are also places like kmart, target etc that if you speak to the manager they are more than happy to give you boxes.

I think some idealistic ways of living need to be dropped here. Yes you are pregnant, yes been pregnant can make things more difficult, but you can still do a lot of things safely.

There seems to be a lot of excuses and not much accountability coming from you through your posts.

I am going to post this and then not bother to come back because I feel that there is a lot of 'poor me' going on or possibly trolling to get reactions.

• Like 2

EmmDasher

I don’t really count the bond and the rent in moving costs though. The rent you have to pay anyway, it’s just in advance. I’d only count the bond if I wasn’t getting any of the previous bond back. You might be briefly out of pocket but swings and roundabouts. That is hard to manage though if your financial position is precarious and you have no leeway.

• Like 6

WaitForMe

Your Private School fees may start off at $5K but rest assured they won't stay like that! Plus all the extras.

Ask me how I know!

The school my kids attend (I have 2) was $5K when my eldest started back in 2006, this year as she graduates the fees have gone up to nearly $18K per annum.

I have 2 more payments for her & we're done.

My youngest will be there until 2027, so will be interesting to see how much they go up.

A good point.

They typically start low, and go up and up each year level. On top of that, for the most part private schools are increasing fees faster than inflation. Its probably the cheaper ones doing this more than the expensive ones.

$5k a year is roughly $400 a month.

José

We have a lot of option for side hussle! I've been avoiding it because hubby is struggling enough health wise with working FT (has a chronic illness) I'm worried him working weekends will push him over, and until recently I had hyperemesis! Was very sick. But I've got a really valuable skill set, and can pretty easily pick up high paying short term work when it's busy and I can (and have done- got some extra shifts over the next few weeks).

still, this concerns me

when will you all get some 'down time'

if your DH is working two jobs and you need to be picking up whatever shifts you can that sounds stressful. and maybe unsustainable? especially with health concerns already in the mix.

if its what you must do to feed your family then do it.

but if you have other options eg schooling id look at that.

as others have mentioned our local Catholic school fees go up ten percent each calender year.

Edited by José
  • Like 1

BECZ

Do you or hubby work unusual hours or are the kids already in daycare full time?

I don't know how you're otherwise going to fit too much more in unless you can work from home or take the kids with you or hubby.

Edited by BECZ
  • Like 1

Crazyone26989

Why did you have to pay for relocating utilities? That's not something I've ever had to do. Also, losing $1000 in bond is a lot.

Earning more money is well and good but I think you need to seriously look at your finances and figure out exactly where your money is going.

Nobodyelse

I don’t really count the bond and the rent in moving costs though. The rent you have to pay anyway, it’s just in advance. I’d only count the bond if I wasn’t getting any of the previous bond back. You might be briefly out of pocket but swings and roundabouts. That is hard to manage though if your financial position is precarious and you have no leeway.

It isn't paying rent and bond. It is the double up. How often do you need to pay double your mortgage to move? And bonds are absolutely a moving expense. Often they are a few hundred dollars more than your last so it isn't an even transfer from one to the other.

It is pretty simple, realy. If you can't move without paying it, it is a moving expense.

Not everyone has extra thousands of dollars sitting in their accounts for swings and round abouts. To suggest people just 'be out of pocket' is quite a privileged thing to say. You assume people have pockets to be out of. Often those costs need to be actively saved for.

• Like 6

Crazyone26989

It isn't paying rent and bond. It is the double up. How often do you need to pay double your mortgage to move? And bonds are absolutely a moving expense. Often they are a few hundred dollars more than your last so it isn't an even transfer from one to the other.

It is pretty simple, realy. If you can't move without paying it, it is a moving expense.

Not everyone has extra thousands of dollars sitting in their accounts for swings and round abouts. To suggest people just 'be out of pocket' is quite a privileged thing to say. You assume people have pockets to be out of. Often those costs need to be actively saved for.

I took PP to be saying that you can't really say new bond cost $2000 if the old bond was $1800. It really only cost $200. Same with double rent. If you had to pay double rent for two weeks on two places at $500/week, that isn't $2000 it's only $1000 extra.

Of course not everyone is capable of being out of pocket while waiting for bonds to come through but in NSW you can now pay in installemnts for that reason.

• Like 2

EmmDasher

I do get it and I’ve just done it. The lack of savings and how difficult it is making it for the OP is kind of the point of what everyone is saying. Many people were saying skip the private school and save up the fees so you have better flexibility to meet expenses. Skip the private school and spend $1k to go public and there’s $4k right there to carry to cost of a move - and more because at some point when you pay double rent you’re going to not pay rent one week and you’ll get the first bond back.

Edit - I was surprised that a PP had suggested it cost $4k to move but it makes more sense if you are not able bodied and have to get a lot of hands on support, steam clean and even more sense if you’re counting in the cost of bond and extra rent.

Edited by EmmDasher

EmmDasher

But there's often overlap and paying 2 lots of rent. The bond may even out in the end, though for my dad new bond has always been biggee than old bond and he pays 2-4 weeks of double rent. Plus actual moving and cleaning costs. That's a lot when you're just making ends meet.

I know. It is precisely what I said in the last sentence of my post.

Bearynice

Your rent is a massive chunk of your earnings. I’d say a lot of people aren’t paying half their wages in rent

Your bills are large. You could look at trying to budget $200 pw for food.

Look at your energy usage and compare utilities.

What you have planned for now and for in the future isn’t really working.

Enrol in the local public school and focus on religion outside of school.

• Like 3

bakesgirls

Can you make arrangements with the owner / agent to pay half the rent when you get paid and the other half at the next payday (so, 1st and 15th of the month, for example)? That would alleviate the roller-coaster food issues (and perhaps eventually allow you to buy extra staples to have on hand when things are leaner – many foods are cheaper in bulk).

I don't see how this would work. The numbers will still be the same, just rearranged.