Sign in to follow this  
Hopeful2016

Seeding

Hopeful2016

Does anyone have any experience in opting for this/ carrying it out? Am in 2 minds whether to do this in my second elective c section (first was breech)- was originally planning to but my OB says recent research shows it is risky. Keen to hear others views and experiences.

Steggles66

I did this for both my caesareans. I didn’t actually realise there was a term for it! To me it made sense that bubs was possibly missing out on certain bacteria due to not achieving a natural birth so wanted to minimise this. Having said that though, my brother who is an OB said it was a ridiculous thing to do.

• Like 1

Future-self

I looked too as I had an elective caeser and came across the concept. To be blunt: There is clear evidence for it possibly making your baby sick and no evidence of any benefit. You cannot replicate the complcated processes of labour and a vaginal birth with rubbing vaginal fluid in your babies mouth ;) I would put all efforts into your baby receiving colustrum.

Edited by Future-self
  • Like 7

Soontobegran

Some babies spend just less than a minute in the vagina, some babies born by C/S after mum has reached full dilatation will be exposed to these same bacteria for longer.

I am a serious disbeliever because it makes so little sense that they would only get the 'good' bacteria.

• Like 2

Oriental lily

It’s very interesting .

The antibiotic theory makes sense to me .

I have had 5 kids .

4 vaginal , I emergency c section .

I also have two children who suffered from eczema . The two who who have suffered from eczema were exposed to antibiotics during labour. One due to c section , the other due to strep B positive.

Wouldn’t be surprised if this mucked around with establishing their microbe colonies in their gut leading to allergies like eczema . Actually those doing this I hope they know their status of strep B . Wouldn’t want to be rubbing it all over a newborns mouth !

Actually those having a a elective do they get the swab and be tested ? I know they get antibiotics during a c section but the timing might be important .

Edited by Oriental lily

nasty buddha

Does antibiotics cause eczema?

nup

I was more of a hippy in my prenatal days and each birth tried to be as pure as possible. But then I was just too lazy and actually grossed out by the idea once I hit CS territory. If you're that way inclined you could be unknowingly passing on yeast infection. The bacteria on your nipple and colostrum is a great start and from there they will be under constant microbial attack to build strong healthy

immunity. Vaccination schedule will strengthen them infinitely more. Babies put gross stuff from the floor when they start mouthing. Let them play in dirt and grow up in a less sterile environment with a wide variety of foods.

Future-self

Does antibiotics cause eczema?

To be simple- No.

BUT , Gut health has a definite impact on immunity and therefore autoimmune conditions such as eczema are implicated. On it’s own though, a course of antibiotics at birth or through breastmilk won’t cause eczema. It’s much more complicated than that!