~elle~

2019 Anyone studying this year?

CrankyM

Mancimum that’s why I’m trying to cram 2.5 weeks of reading/study into one week... I’ve just got this weeks study to finish tonight/tomorrow. Thank god for work giving me 2 hours a week where I am supposed to study and not do work.

Bethlehem Babe

Just finished my first ever intensive residential school. I don’t want to leave!! Love chatting about stuff that’s interesting!

Forgot how at home I am on campus.

• Like 2

needs to get out

Just finished my first ever intensive residential school. I don’t want to leave!! Love chatting about stuff that’s interesting!

That sounds rather blissful.

I just finished my assignment which isn't even due until 11.59pm. Go me. lol. I read it aloud to DS1 and he liked it at least.

• Like 1

redleaves

I've been offered a place at Deakin and Griffith for entry in semester 2.

Deakin would be completely online, and at Griffith I could mix it up with a combination of face to face and online.

There's pros and cons to both

Edited by redleaves
  • Like 1

SeaPrincess

We’ve just finished our last group assignment. What a disaster. Bear in mind, this is post-grad, so everyone already has a degree.

We’re in a group of 3. We each had to write part of the report, and we had to indicate on the front of the assignment who completed which part, so we can potentially be marked separately, but I volunteered to do the compilation and formatting. Anyway, her part comes in and it’s crap. She hasn’t provided her references, and to make sure I wasn’t just being too harsh, I opened up the example that had been provided. She had copied a great chunk directly from the example provided by the lecturer! I sent it back, with the copied parts highlighted, a little brief about plagiarism, and asked her to re-write and provide her references. In the meantime, I rewrote the required information and decided that I would add my name to her section so it was attributed to both of us. Hers came back, still no references, so I put my bit in. When I submitted it and got the plagiarism check report, basically everything I included from her was highlighted. In the meantime, my other group member had contacted our lecturer to advise him about it, so hopefully we will be marked individually.

Expelliarmus

I am currently doing an Introduction to Research course and the assignment is to ‘get a taste of conducting qualitative research’.

I have an Honours degree with an 18 000 word qualitative thesis.

The assignment is so painful.

I got RPL for my ten years of teaching but I maxed out my RPL with that and they won’t apply it to the research components. :headdesk:

• Like 1

needs to get out

Oh dear Expelli.

I once had the experience of simultaneously studying 2nd year English Lit and being expected to study a year 10 equivalent english basics unit at TAFE as part of a traineeship. We weren't allowed to RPL any of it because it was a new programme they were testing. I also got to do arithmetic basics when the previous year I'd completed a university level calculus program...

Can you reference your own thesis in the assignment, assignment-ception style?

Expelliarmus

I never properly bound the thesis so it’s not in the uni library and it’s not a peer referenced thing so, probably risky!

I’m looking at basically copying it for this ‘taster assignment’ though. I need to ‘get an experience of engaging in qualitative data collection’. Cool. I’ve done interviews and journal collections so I can waffle about it I expect.

It just feels pointless and boring.

SeaPrincess

I got a terrible mark back yesterday for an assignment that was submitted over a month ago. I popped in to see the lecturer today and I was going to ask if I could resubmit, even if he didn’t change the mark, just to make sure I was on track, but he is asking a bunch of people to resubmit (and probably revising the instructions based on that). I took the opportunity to clarify the requirements for the next one as well.

Staying Strange

huge surprise - I just got my grades for the assignment and got 17/20! Such a relief. I don't feel so silly for returning to study now :)

That's awesome Cimbom! Congrats I hope that feel continues for you :)

I got an assignment back today. ...

32/40. With some odd comments about some passages being too academically written and theoretical....

That's fab mayablb! I hope you're happy witht eh rest of your marks too.

I am hardcore procrastinating right now. ...

I hope you got your assignment in Renovators Delight - I too am good at procrastinating at assignment time!

I have an 2 essays due tomorrow, one I need to proof and the other not began, not even reading. Then another due Sunday. The school holidays really messed me up

That sounds exhausting Manicmum .... hope you got it all done.

So glad it went well for you Bethlehem Babe - that sounds fantastic! I do miss being on campus ... as I'm studying wholly online this time. I hope the rest of your resi-schools go the same way.

We’ve just finished our last group assignment. What a disaster. ...

Oh, SeaPrincess ... that does sound disastrous! And sorry to here you weren't happy with your mark. How disappointing for you.

I finally got back my marks for the rest of my assignments from last term ... 85% for both of them and a 82 ... which I am pretty chuffed with, and I really struggled with the critical review of the article we were given, but I got some really good comments and am feeling incredibly grateful for the clarity of instructions for that one.

I am really enjoying my current subject. I did a very last minute change after I didn't like the look of the subject material for the subject I was originally going to study and I am so glad I did, this one is so engaging, interesting, practical and relevant to my current role, and I am loving it!

Hope everyone is travelling well.

(Edited, as I hit save to quickly and only posted half a post!)

Edited by Staying Strange
  • Like 1

CrankyM

That's great staying strange. Well done

Oh no SeaPrincess. It sounds like very few did well, though which I think is more of a reflection of the assignment question then you ability. I hope the next one improves, I know how disheartening and what a blow to self confidence getting a mark like that can be. (Been there, done that. One I got back even had some really harsh comments on it. Now i get anxiety about assignment marks every single time I get notified I have got one back)

SeaPrincess

Now i get anxiety about assignment marks every single time I get notified I have got one back)

So do I! I put it off when I get the notification.

needs to get out

92/100 for my final assignment. Pretty staggered really.

• Like 3

Expelliarmus

I would like to know why they keep making face to face workshops and things for an external course.

The latest is some face to face things from 3-5pm on Monday afternoons.

It's a Masters in Education.

Education where we teach until 3pm or later.

:rolleyes:

Lucky it's optional since I can't get there!

I've been waiting on a grade for an assignment for several weeks now. Mostly though I'm waiting for this degree to be over.

Cimbom

I got the mark for my second assignment today and I'm a bit disappointed compared to the first one - I got 27/40 (67.5%). i think I lost some marks due to little errors with the footnotes as well as overusing online sources compared to journals, etc.

I was (maybe ambitiously) hoping to get 33/40 so that I could go into the exam a bit more confident, knowing that passing the exam would get me a distinction for the unit. Now I have 44/50 so need a 65% to get this. Hope I can do it - not a fan of exams TBH.

• Like 2

Catzilla

Doing another subject in my Bachelor of Letters (Health) this semester, and for the three assignments so far, I’ve got a P, D, and D. I think I might be sitting on 37/50 at the moment. With two assignments to go, including a 2,000 word annotated bibliography due in 11 days that I haven’t started yet, I’m hopeful I might be able to end with maybe a mid range to high Credit.

• Like 1

Manicmum

I’ve got worse at this study thing... lost a bit of interest. I stay home because I have to study but then don’t get it done and feel miserable!

I have to write some english lesson plans, a history lesson and critiques some curriculum resources. Additionally, I have to show posts for three units showing my engagement (I’d better knock them up today/tomorrow). I’ll be so please when this trimester is over.

CrankyM

I really need to get a move on. 2500 assignment on the greatest current and future challenges of data management for academic research, during which I have to critically analyse the challenges and then compare and contrast their impact... and I still have 2.5 modules of reading to do, because last weeks module is soooooooo long and the readings so wordy (its ethics in data management). Oh and it's worth 50% of my mark. I'm currently sitting at 40.5/50 and really want to get a D for the unit, so I need a 36 at minimum. So need to get motivated and study! I need the super rough draft done by at least Fri next week.

Edited by mayahlb

SeaPrincess

I'm in the midst of a week of practical assessments, and I feel like I'm just finishing one thing and prepping for the next. Yesterday's was fun though, and tomorrow's should be OK, and then I'm on the downhill run to end of semester and exams. My last exam is on June 10th.

Edited by SeaPrincess

CrankyM

How's everyone doing? Have you finished for the semester yet or waiting on exams?

I am annoyed and frustrated with the whole uni thing today and wondering why i decided to pick up study. I missed out on a distinction by a measly 1/2 point. So I was angry with myself.

And then I get an email saying they are discontinuing one of the units I need to do for an elective to qualify for the degree. Due to having already done the other 2 options in my bachelor this was literally my only option (I already have max RPL). So now I'm screwed. Sent an email off and hopefully they have some idea on other options.

This degree has only been running for 2 years.

Bethlehem Babe

Don’t be so hard on your self maya! Well done on a great mark.

Finished with an exam on Friday one of my most intense months ever. It very nearly broke me. Four quizzes, two essays and two lab reports. And I’ve picked up extra work due to many people being on leave.

Still I survived. I feel a bit shell shocked still. Only had this week before I go to res school again on Monday. This uni does everything in the res school and that’s it for the semester.

Would love another week to recover- this week has been sick kid week so no real downtime.

Catzilla

I won't get my marks back for the last two assignments until the end of the month. I'm pretty confident I should pass, but whether I do any more than that remains to be seen.

CrankyM

BB I’m cranky as I knew the assignment had issues but rather then attempt to fix them I faffed around and hit a wall with it so just handed it in :(

Bethlehem Babe

BB I’m cranky as I knew the assignment had issues but rather then attempt to fix them I faffed around and hit a wall with it so just handed it in :(

Oh that totally sucked.

I’m cranky at the mixed messages- we had to get our essay topic approved. Got a response from the lecturer saying mine was a great choice. Some others got told to narrow it down etc.

Essay feedback was that my topic was far too broad and I should have chosen just one aspect. Which I did realise as I was writing it but it was a bit late by then and I would have had to get re-approval.

CrankyM

I’m not great at essays which doesn’t help matters. Reports I can do any day and get good marks for. Essays are another matter. Still it was a very solid credit overall for that essay. (Mark was 34/50). Still that 1/2 point is bugging me!