lilbabyofmine

Stuck placenta? (Third stage of labour)

lilbabyofmine

I gave birth 2 days ago to a little boy. Vaginal natural delivery but placenta wouldn’t come out for about 40mins until they put traction on the cord and I had to give a big push with a contraction to get it out. It was very painful. Had normal blood loss since then (pad change every 3 hours or so) and they said it was almost fully intact.

I’ve had a few small clots, but today after walking around a little bit (have mostly been resting) I felt something give way. Checked my pad and it was a large clot plus ?a bit of placenta or tissue piece. Thoughts? Midwife coming tomorrow so will ask her also, no increase in bleeding but I’m a bit scared that maybe there’s more fragments stuck in there and that the placenta didn’t come out completely whole..?!?

post-283878-0-95478100-1546251889_thumb.png

Edited by lilbabyofmine

Tough titties

Personally I would err on the side of caution and present to the emergency department. You can get very unwell very quickly if you have leftovers from birth.

• Like 3

Jenflea

I'd call the midwife now if possible and ask her advice, or the hospital you gave birth at.

I had a TINY piece that didn't come away and it caused a PPH right after the birth.

cvbn

I would at the very least call the hospital and not feel bad about presenting there.

Take care.

IamtheMumma

Please ring the maternity ward/birth suite where you gave birth. Bring the sample with you.

Flaxen

I got very sick very quickly with retained placenta. Felt fine in the morning and even had a Dr appt, was ok at lunch, and incredibly sick by 4pm. Go back to the maternity ward to check.

Lou-bags

After my births I was told to call a midwife for clots larger than a 20c piece. With what you’ve posted and the trouble you had delivering the placenta, I’d go to the ED as soon as possible.

A friend had a serious PPH 7 days post partum due to retained product. She passed out in the bathroom at home, her DH was there thankfully and called an ambulance. Don’t take any risks, just get checked out OP.

And also congratulations on the birth of your baby!

~ Ohana~

Yep, I think that warrants a trip to the ED.

BubbleBird

I would head back to hospital, or at least call for advice. For what it's worth, I passed something similar but a lot bigger a day after having my second baby, whilst still in hospital, the midwives weren't too concerned and all was fine.

Soontobegran

I agree, take what you passed into the ED of the hospital you delivered at. They may want to do an ultrasound.

An "almost complete" placenta is an incomplete placenta.

Good luck.

• Like 2