Sign in to follow this  
Mooples

Car seats for second car

Mooples

I’m heading back to work in the new year so we are needing to get new car seats for dh’s car so he can do pick ups and drop offs.

Ds1 is a tall 3 year old.

Ds2 is 1 year old.

Does anyone have any recommendations for car seats. We had a sns platinum in dh’s car but now we are using that for ds2 in my car. Not really looking to buy the most expensive seats again as it was barely used but happy to consider all options.

Lady Gray

Following!

EmmDasher

We have the Britax Maxiguards for our girls (one of whom is particularly tall). We love them. Once DD2 outgrows her Neon I’ll buy another if they’re still around.

I’ve bought all three of ours on sale for about $300 and they are the type that harnesses to 7+.

ETA: DD’s are 2 & 4. One car has a Maxiguard & Neon. The other has 2 x Maxiguard. 2 year old DD has used the Maxiguard in our second car since 18 months.

Edited by EmmDasher

Cheesy Sanga

Are they rear facing or forward facing?

What car does DH have?

Future-self

Does the father of your children see them at all now?

I’d go a 0-4 year seat for your 1 year old and a Maxiguard for your 3 year old. It’s in fact what I did when we had the same situation - DH’s car needing seats for drop offs and or pick ups. Infa Neon is a great seat and is often on sale for around $100

They are safer in the lowest category for their age which is why I wouldn’t put a one year old in a Maxiguard.

Edited by Future-self

PrincessPeach

Infasecure versions of the britax maxiguard would be a good option (ivedrawn a blank on their name)

Infasecure are slightly cheaper than britax seats, but they would then last then for a decent amount of time. Plus they are still highly rated seats.

EmmDasher

We had the Infasecure Evolve. It was fine but didn’t fit our car well. We passed it on to a family member. I think it would be a toss up of what suited the car better. We found a big difference in fit.

PrincessPeach

What car does DH have?

Oh I just re-read the ages. Can that point, the 1 year old will still need to be rear facing (even my 90th percentile height long body Bub was 18 months old before he was tall enough to forward face). although there is an infasecure seat that does both.

EmmDasher

If you have 2 x 0-4 seats already you could split them into each car. Get 2 x maxiguards for the bigger kid. Saves buying a third 0-4 seat.

• Like 2

Mooples

What car does DH have?

Ds1 is ff

Ds2 is rf and I am keen to erf

He has a commodore sedan, plenty of space for seats

Cheesy Sanga

Baby love ezy grow to FF, harnessed to 8yo

Baby love ezy switch to RF, ERF seat

Mooples

If you have 2 x 0-4 seats already you could split them into each car. Get 2 x maxiguards for the bigger kid. Saves buying a third 0-4 seat.

This isn’t a bad idea, I hadn’t thought of doing that.

Another point I forgot to add is that we are planning a third so any seats we buy need to be narrow enough for 3 across the back. The sns platinums we have are so big they will probably both need to be replaced if we have #3 anyway.

EmmDasher

Oh I just re-read the ages. Can that point, the 1 year old will still need to be rear facing (even my 90th percentile height long body Bub was 18 months old before he was tall enough to forward face). although there is an infasecure seat that does both.

Not related to the OP but this really depends on the seat and where bub carries the height. Our first was 90+ percentile for height but it was in her torso. She hit the height markers in her Neon with padding removed by 12 months. If I’d known she’d be so tall or those proportions I would have investigated the extended rear facing seats but they weren’t as readily available or publicized when she was born. The gift of hindsight!

Cheesy Sanga

Anything will fit in a commodore.

afterlaughter

Split 0-4 between cars and get 1 maxiguard for main car and a baby love ezy grow for second car. Both 46cm wore which is on narrow range of 6m-8 seats.

Mooples

Anything will fit in a commodore.

I’ve got a Mazda CX-5 which is much tighter across the back.

Ok so seems a maxi guard is the way to go. What’s the difference between a maxi guard, the pro and the pro plus?He is in my car a lot so want him to be comfortable as well as safe but not sure if there’s much difference?

needs to get out

Another point I forgot to add is that we are planning a third so any seats we buy need to be narrow enough for 3 across the back. The sns platinums we have are so big they will probably both need to be replaced if we have #3 anyway.

I have had 2 x infasecure grandeur and 1 x infasecure quattro in my Hyundai Elantra - the quattro was rear facing until now, its now in the centre of the two others, and fits well.

• Like 1

EmmDasher

I’ve got a Mazda CX-5 which is much tighter across the back.

Ok so seems a maxi guard is the way to go. What’s the difference between a maxi guard, the pro and the pro plus?He is in my car a lot so want him to be comfortable as well as safe but not sure if there’s much difference?

I have (I think), one Maxiguard and 2 x pro.

I thought the Maxiguard standard that we have (black/pink) was discontinued.

I actually am not sure what the difference is. The most any salesperson could tell me was the fabric covers were different and the armrests move on the pro. I haven’t ever had any comfort complaints though.

Cheesy Sanga

MG vs MGP vs MGP+

All are the same height/width/depth and have the same exit height.

MGP has head and torso SICT, cooler fabric, messy mat, cup holders, button harness release, white shell, silver straps.

MGP+ is the MGP with fancy fabric and memory foam.

MG does not have SICT, cooler fabric, messy mat. It has mesh pockets that can hold a narrow bottle, lever harness release, black shell, black straps.

Edited by Cheesy Sanga

BECZ

You'd be surprised. We used to have two SnS Platinums and a SnS Maxi Ryder in the back of our Renault Laguna (hatchback). Was a bit tight (ok with one RF though) in the Audi A4, but you just never know until you try it.

Mooples

MG vs MGP vs MGP+

All are the same height/width/depth and have the same exit height.

MGP has head and torso SICT, cooler fabric, messy mat, cup holders, button harness release, white shell, silver straps.

MGP+ is the MGP with fancy fabric and memory foam.

MG does not have SICT, cooler fabric, messy mat. It has mesh pockets that can hold a narrow bottle, lever harness release, black shell, black straps.

Thanks for all the details. I think I’ll go the pro, I much prefer the button release compared to leaver release on hire car seats we’ve had before.