LucyGoose

Board games 7-8 year olds

LucyGoose

My daughters are 7 and 8. I’m looking for a new boardgame, something that they can play by themselves, or with adults if we feel like it.

Their favourite game is the game of life. They also like uno and cluedo. They used to like games like shopping list, pop to the shops - but have grown out of these a little. They also enjoy bop it.

The 7 yr old is a fluent reader but has a shorter attention span, I.e no monopoly.

Any ideas?

Elizabethandfriend

Monopoly Junior? Its over pretty quickly.

barrington

We recently bought slapzi - everyone loves it!

• Like 2

Riotproof

Connect 4

Trouble

Kerplunk (very hard to buy the old proper version we used to have now, do not buy the kmart $5 piece of crap. We have the uk version with a shute)

Guess who

Ds has mentioned he’d like battleship.

Also would some individual games they play on their own be good? Think fun have some good logic puzzles.

• Like 1

alchetta

rummikub

snakes and ladders

snap

guess who

upwords

backgammon if they can remember the setup

Do they like jigsaw puzzles?

trillian42

Slightly left field but we love Sushi Go Party. It’s a sushi themed card game that is straightforward enough that the 8-y-o certainly, and probably the 7-y-o, would get it, but also tactical and fun for adults.

Hard to describe as it sounds quite complex but actually really isn’t. Even our 5-y-o will play it, albeit not that successfully.

• Like 4

FuzzyChocolateToes

Junior Monopoly is great. Our version has an ATM!

• Like 1

Inkogneatoh

Jenga? Dominos?

I'm sure you can also still buy the compilation type boxes with things like chess, checkers, snakes and ladders, ludo, nine men morris and the such.

https://www.bookdepo...n/9780932592941

My brother and I got given that book many years ago and it served us well. The premise is games for 2 that are easy to learn but take time to master like checkers and backgammon.

• Like 2

AnythingGoes

We like Monopoly Empire more than Monopoly junior - still only takes about 15 minutes to play but has a bit more to it.

Exploding kittens is a fun card game.

• Like 1

LucyGoose

rummikub

snakes and ladders

snap

guess who

upwords

backgammon if they can remember the setup

Do they like jigsaw puzzles?

Yes they like puzzles, But we are limited to puzzles completed in one sitting for now as I also have a toddler. I’ve never played rummikub, that might be one to look at.

petal71

Ludo is fun - mainly luck based but some tactics.

Planes version of Monopoly - DS7 also has limited attention for many things but fine with this.

Connect 4

Trouble

Kerplunk (very hard to buy the old proper version we used to have now, do not buy the kmart $5 piece of crap. We have the uk version with a shute)

Guess who

Ds has mentioned he’d like battleship.

Really recommend pen and paper version of Battleships over the peg version any day. With the peg version (OK it was a cheap one) plyers can too easily see each others boards, pegs fall out or are v hard to remove at end. I got jack of it after 2-3 tries and ended up drawing out grids and photocopying them - then you just use the copies to colour in.

Riotproof

Petal, you can actually get battleship apps now. I think they are really good, and you can practice against the Computer.

• Like 1

AdelTwins

My Little Scythe - collect gems/apples and deliver to the castle. Have pie fights or be friendly. Easy to play by themselves once they know the rules.

Grimm Forest (with parents) - you are a niece/nephew of the 3 little pigs and must build three houses of straw/wood/brick, but watch out for the fairytale monsters. A few of the cards are harder to understand, so an adult playing for the first few times would help.

Sushi Go Party - as PP mentioned, an awesome card drafting game. Super simple to play. Shuffling cards would be the biggest problem.

Forbidden Island - work together to collect the four treasures before the island sinks.

Carcassone (with parents) - lay tiles to make roads/cities/farms. Claim them and collect the points.

Splendor - buy gems and collect cards until you have 15 points.

Onitama - a chess style game

Unstable Unicorns (must remove about 5 “adult” cards from whole deck) - take that card game with gorgeous unicorn art work.

• Like 2

osmund

Some of these may need parental help initially:

• Settlers of Catan
  • Carcassonne
  • Dixit
  • Cottage Garden
  • Ticket to Ride - the Nordic version is 3 player only so can easily be played 2 player.

• Like 1

Seven of Nine

Goblins Drool Fairies Rule is a good one for that age group.

My 6 and 8 year olds love

Battleship

Cluedo

Zombie Dice

Tsuro

mylittlemen

Slapzi and Spot it are hugely popular in this household

Malkin Slinkhard

Love Dixit but you need at least three people. Love Letter is great and Exploding Kittens for simple card games. Lanterns maybe as well.

hoohoobump

Lots of other great ones already mentioned, but we also love Latice and Dobble (Spot It is another name it’s known by).

For cards: Phase 10 and Skip Bo are fun.

FindingZen

Operation

Candyland

Memory

Go Fish

Dominoes

RynandStompy

Some great games listed here that we already play. One DD loved from age 6 is Sleeping Queens. It's got some simple maths skills in it..I think a child can progress from that to Sushi Go.

Other fun games are Chicken Cha Cha (it's a memory kind of game ) . And hunt out a kids card version charades tin. It's not a boardgame but fun for all ages for eg xmas gathering with cousins of all ages.

• Like 1

JRA

Othello is also brilliant.

SplashingRainbows

Mastermind

BBC

Mastermind

Othello

Quirkle

Bananagrams

BeAwesome

My 6 & 10 year olds like: