Sign in to follow this  
maryanneK

fructose intolerance testing in 3 yo

maryanneK

I suspect our 3 yo may have a frutctose intolerance

can anyone tell me their experiences in suspecting and diagnosing in their own children?

I would prefer to get him seen and diagnosed properly by a dr but I believe the breath test is quite difficult for a little one

thoughts?

much appreciate any replies...

Learningtosayno7

Our DD when she was younger was a handful until we worked out that she was fructose intolerant symptoms were

From when she was born until she was 8 weeks of age she used to scream from 10 at night until 4 in the morning until we worked out after going to sleep school that it was the orange juice that I was drinking whilst BF was causing her problems (should have been the first signs of problems in hindsight)

- bloated tummy

- refusal to eat dinner due to knowing that she was going to get a pain in the belly

- used to get gut pains within 5 mins of eating certain foods especially apple juice (which we no longer have)

- headaches

- brain fog

- eczema

There was a family history and I just had a gut feeling and went with that and saw the DR who agreed.

She is now 15 and can tolerate more than she used too and we don't avoid fructose as such just minimise the consumption of it and we have worked out her tolerance levels so much it much better especially when we are going out to eat.

Sincerely

Just worth noting that two very different conditions are often called 'fructose intolerance'. 'Hereditary fructose intolerance' is an inherited condition of aldolase B enzyme deficiency that can lead to low glucose levels & liver damage if fructose continues to be consumed. 'Dietary fructose intolerance', often called 'fructose malabsorption', refers to poor absorption of dietary fructose by the small intestines leading to fermentation and hydrogen gas production in the large intestines and osmotic diarrhoea. The latter condition is most appropriately investigated by hydrogen breath testing. Stool fructose may be detectable by faecal chromatography but it might depend on the method used by the laboratory.

Typo edited.

Edited by Sincerely
  • Like 2