10YearsLater

AFL Grand Final

10YearsLater

Go Eagles..

• Like 3

born.a.girl

Go Eagles..

I was out in country Victoria the other day, on a backroad, and in the corner of a paddock was a big painted sign saying just that.

Good luck.

• Like 1

Catzilla

Even though my team didn't make it this year, and starting the week feeling a bit over football; now I'm oddly starting to really look forward to the game this afternoon. I don't really mind which team takes the chocolates today. A West Coast win would be nice, to see the Premiership cup come out of Victoria for the first time in a while. A Collingwood win though would also be good, since Nathan Buckley never got to win a premiership as a player, so it'd be cool to see him able to lift the cup as head coach. Pity it can't be a draw. :p

nom_de_plume

I have no horse in this race and don’t care about the result.

I am however enjoying the long weekend and looking forward to a BBQ with friends and kids this afternoon. Weather looks good too so that’s a bonus!

born.a.girl

Ye Gods, with Collingwood involved in the last ever 'draw with replay' I can just see them shuddering at the thought.

Hope it's not by one kick, too, that just feels like a toss of the coin.

I agree this year as a neutral (Geelong) either team winning has some merit.

Being married to a lukewarm Collingwood supporter, who I cheer for a is a foregone conclusion, but I certainly won't be upset if they lose.

• Like 1

eilca

Go Pies!

It's weird what shapes you going for another team. Husband was a Pies man and then Port Adelaide evolved so we are Port members. And the Eagles and Shuey's duck is still raw for me.

So...make it a good one Pies.

• Like 2

Green Sage

None of our teams are in it, but we are hosting a passionate, 5 year old, Collingwood supporter today, so we are on team Collingwood for today. I’m looking forward to the game and the smallmparty we are having.

I even got our surround sound working with the TV, so we can feel the atmosphere :D

lizzybirdsworth

I don’t know who I prefer to win. I used to play with the eagles captain when I was little and him and Travis varcoe were both in the sanfl team I go for but I think it would be lovely for travis after losing his sister so suddenly last month.

hills mum bec

I think this is the first year that I really don’t care who wins and I probably won’t even watch it. I hate how the grand final always falls on a long weekend now because we like to go away in the caravan every long weekend but I also usually like to watch the grand final.

born.a.girl

I don’t know who I prefer to win. I used to play with the eagles captain when I was little and him and Travis varcoe were both in the sanfl team I go for but I think it would be lovely for travis after losing his sister so suddenly last month.

That's been a bit of a driving force for me too, since it happened. I also have a soft spot for an ex Geelong players, and Varcoe was in our last premiership team. It would have been a toss up between him and Nathan Vardy, also ex Geelong, if not for the tragedy.

Lees75

As a Bombers supporter, my head tells me I can’t support the Pies, but as a North Adelaide Roosters supporter, where Maggie Varcoe played, I think my heart will find itself wanting to support Travis Varcoe.

• Like 2

10YearsLater

My husband has been an Eagles fan from their introduction into the AFL. I never knew a thing about the AFL until I met him but now I love it. So by default, I am an Eagles fan.

~Jolly_F~

Neither of them really thrill me...

But I am going with the eagles.

I just can’t bring myself to support Collingwood!

• Like 5

annodam

GO PIES!

I'll be there...

• Like 5

cardamom

I'm new to AFL - still don't really understand the rules, to be honest - but have been told by a colleague in no uncertain terms that as a Carlton supporter I cannot possibly barrack for Collingwood.

So go Eagles, I guess?

• Like 2

born.a.girl

I'm new to AFL - still don't really understand the rules, to be honest - but have been told by a colleague in no uncertain terms that as a Carlton supporter I cannot possibly barrack for Collingwood.

So go Eagles, I guess?

A few years ago we started watching the NRL final, knowing nothing of the rules. It was hilarious trying to work them out.

• Like 3

cardamom

A few years ago we started watching the NRL final, knowing nothing of the rules. It was hilarious trying to work them out.

Having grown up on NRL - which I love - to my eyes AFL looks like a giant disorganised netball game, just with more fights :ph34r:

Learned pretty quickly as a new Victorian not to verbalise that thought :laugh:

• Like 2

~Jolly_F~

Having grown up on NRL - which I love - to my eyes AFL looks like a giant disorganised netball game, just with more fights :ph34r:

Learned pretty quickly as a new Victorian not to verbalise that thought :laugh:

Hahaha its the opposite for me. NRL looks like dancing and throwing backwards is weird.

I am slowly getting it but I still find it weird after most of my life watching AFL.

But like you being in NRL country I say nothing but I do giggle when certain people carry on about AFL, which they know nothing about.

• Like 2

born.a.girl

Hahaha its the opposite for me. NRL looks like dancing and throwing backwards is weird.

I am slowly getting it but I still find it weird after most of my life watching AFL.

But like you being in NRL country I say nothing but I do giggle when certain people carry on about AFL, which they know nothing about.

When we watched the first NRL final, being penalised for 'giving away the ball' had us giggling.

Shows you how much of each of them is just 'games' with made up rules.

You sometimes hear ridicule about being given a point for missing the goal posts in AFL, but funnily enough, those same people never seem to have a problem with tennis players being allowed two goes to get it over the net.

I tend to thing the elite of any sport is good viewing.

FeelingcLucky

Carn the Pies!!

• Like 1

annodam

Inch by inch...

Side by side...

Nothing else matters...

needs to get out

My husband has been an Eagles fan from their introduction into the AFL. I never knew a thing about the AFL until I met him but now I love it. So by default, I am an Eagles fan.

My deep and never abating loathing for West Coast comes from the fact that I lived in WA when West Coast were invented.

All of a sudden people dropped VFL teams they had loyally supported for years and started supporting this yucky made up, hideously garbed team of mostly Claremont players ( and I had a pet hate for Claremont).

I had a WACA membership when West Coast played there, so went to lots of games with them against many different teams, and the booing and bad sportsmanship from many supporters did nothing to change my view towards the team.

Some of the nicest people I know are West Coast supporters, it baffles me.

I will happily support any team that is NOT West Coast.

Go Pies!

annodam

There is good & bad supporters at every Club & I'll include my own in that statement.

I have been going to the footy for many years & I have seen my fair share of supporters both in Melbourne & interstate. Never really had any issues other than the normal banter & this Includes seeing Finals at Subiaco.

However, yesterday a WC Eagles supporter showed their true colours.

I was at the GF Parade with my kids, my eldest 17 the youngest 9½. It was packed as fk, in Spring St., so to keep the kids close, we held hands & sort of walked in a single file - son, me & daughter trying to make our way through the crowd slowly.

A WC supporter walking in the same direction as us was behind my daughter, he was pushing his kid in the pram, he ploughed into the heels of my daughter.

She turns around, nothing, he then did it again, so my daughter went in front of son. He then did it to me, I turned around & gave him a greasy, still nothing, the straw broke when he somehow ran over my sons feet as he tried to overtake us.

We stopped & allowed him to go ahead (dumb fk'er) & I heard a few people telling him to watch where he was going, he ignored everyone oblivious, he just kept ploughing his way forward into COLL supporters.

It all came to a head when he rammed into an elderly lady. I'm surprised he came outta there alive, tbh!

The epitome of a gutter rat right there!

EFS:

Edited by annodam

AllyK81

I couldn’t care less this year. As a Victorian and a Carlton supporter I dislike both teams!

We’re at our beach house which has no TV aerial so we couldn’t watch it even if we wanted to.