Sign in to follow this  
la di dah

Plz help an idiot about car seats

la di dah

I am 25 weeks pregnant and they've said I might go early so I plan to buy a car seat in the next month or so on sale. We only need 1 as we only have one small car (currently a Getz, hoping to have a Corolla by January but can't assume I'll get what I want). I'm willing to spend more for real safety but I haven't got bottomless budget.

Is the Britax Safe N Sound Compaq good/bad/middling? What about the InfaSecure Quattro Astra? Is there another in the under 500 dollar range that leaves them in the dust? These are supposedly smallish 0-4 seats because of our hatchback situation. DH is 6'3" and it would be cool if a good safe seat weren't massive.

I don't especially want to worry about a seat to 8 now as cars and lives and seat standards change.

Thanks in advance. Any help gratefully received.

needs to get out

We have had the Infasecure Quattro rear facing in a huyundai Elantra (smallish sedan) and DP who is well over 6’ is comfortable in the passenger seat.

la di dah

I've just realized I've put this in a toddler/kid section, even dumber than I realized.

Sorry to the admins please move it or delete it I wasn't trying to make a mess.

taters

I have a baby love car seat that was about $200. Im really happy with it.it is medium sized and doesnt take up too much room. My bubba seems comfy in it too.

lotsofbots

The Compaq, graphene and Brava are all perfect for a small car.

Blue Shoe

We have some Compaqs, always been happy with them. Not sure about the Getz but my previous car was a Corolla and it fit fine in that.

Hands Up

We had a compaq in a golf and my six foot three husband could still fit in the passenger seat. My tall four year, two month old still fits in his comfortably as his height is in his legs.

la di dah

They don't have wildly different safety ratings do they? The Compaq is significantly lower prices but i don't want to go purely off that.

PrincessPeach

I've got a compaq in my Corolla, my brother is a similar height to your husband & he has fitted fine in the front passenger seat with it rear facing behind him.

Only thing I will say with my Corolla (it's a 2011 model), because of the shape of the seats, the compaq fits much better on a side seat than the centre - it has a sturdier base. Not sure if the newer model is different.

Moo point

The Compaq is great, we had it for DS in our 2 door Ford Festiva - we used to put him in through the hatchback :) We only turned him forward facing when he was 3, and then upgraded to a different car seat as it was a bit too narrow for him in the shoulders. It's now in the inlaws' car as a spare for our nephew. My brother is 6 foot 2 and still fit in the passenger seat in front of the seat - the seat is allowed to brush against the back of the front seat but not be firm against or be displaced by it. If you can swipe your hand between the baby seat and car's seat you're good to go :)

c.sanders

So sorry I must have missed the part you said quattro. Apologies. They all look similar. I highly recommend not getting a 0 to 8yo seat. They are never ever comfortable at the beginning and they are huge seats. Plus these seats wear out after a few years use and vomit, food, washing etc. It's honestly not worth the savings. I think comfort for the baby for the first few years of their life is worth way more than a few hundred dollars of savings esp if you go for long drives etc or you get a screamer. I recommended the infa secure 0 to 4yo. My 6yo still fits into it because it has really good shoulder markers.

If you are set on going for a 0 to 8 I wouldn't recommend the quattro.

This is what I wrote before but doesn't apply to the seat you asked about as much

The great thing about the infa secure is the base which also easily adjusts. I'm not a fan of the britax. I have 3 infa secure all of varying prices and love them I have a currently 6yo, 3yo and 2yo. But had them since ds2 was born and loved how easy it is to recline then etc. I find the others bulky etc too. Go have a look in store it's the best way to tell. That being said I also had a travel system and I love the capsule for newborns. I used mine up-to 12months approx for all 3 so it was definitely worth it.

Eta. I have 2 cars plus my parents car hence the excessive number of car seats. Currently have 10.

Edited by c.sanders

Cheesy Sanga

Britax graphene or brava or Compaq have the shortest rear facing depth. Infasecure Quattro/duet/attain have the 2nd shortest. Best to try them in your car. Put the child seat into rear facing mode. Extend the child seat's head rest to the maximum rear facing height.

Cheesy Sanga

Graphene vs brava vs compaq:

All are compact, with the same width and rear facing depth. All have the same extended rear facing height markers, 39cm to turn to forward facing, a large 2.5yo should be able to rear face (many kids can rear face longer). All have the easy adjust harness.

Graphene has torso SICT, isofix, bamboo fabric (cooler), and AHR head rest.

Brava is Baby Bunting only, has isofix and AHR head rest. No SICT and no bamboo fabric.

Compaq has a bamboo fabric insert (the padded bum insert). No SICT, no isofix, no AHR head rest.

• Like 1

LightPink

I had a Quattro, absolutely hated it! Put up with it for about 8wks before I replaced it with a Graphene. Love the Graphene! The Graphene is actually a smaller rear facing depth than the Quattro so that would help in your car, yet it’s roomier inside the seat for baby as they grow (it has good padding for newborn that you remove as they get bigger). The Quattro was so awkward and my little one was uncomfortable looking in it, the harness kept catching when tightening too.

alchetta

I have a Britax safe n sound compaq ahr which was the shortest depth rear facing and has bamboo fabric wherever bub is and it has isofix (they make with or without, or at least they did when I bought it two years ago).

DD is 17 months, off the chart tall (about average for a 2.5 year old) and is still rear facing but will hit the height marker to turn around soon. We have a really tiny 2002 Golf and 6'4 DH can fit in passenger seat for local drives. For longer trips either he drives or we move the seat over - being isofix it only takes a couple minutes for a super snug fit.

panda eyes

I had a Compaq in my 2 door Getz when my first DS was born (I'm 5'9" and DH over 6'). It was the only one we could get in there rear facing and still be able to drive comfortably. No complaints whatsoever!

Hands Up

Graphene vs brava vs compaq:

All are compact, with the same width and rear facing depth. All have the same extended rear facing height markers, 39cm to turn to forward facing, a large 2.5yo should be able to rear face (many kids can rear face longer). All have the easy adjust harness.

Graphene has torso SICT, isofix, bamboo fabric (cooler), and AHR head rest.

Brava is Baby Bunting only, has isofix and AHR head rest. No SICT and no bamboo fabric.

Compaq has a bamboo fabric insert (the padded bum insert). No SICT, no isofix, no AHR head rest.

Compaq has AHR head protection.

Jenflea

I liked the Compaq.

But we're both short :)

Cheesy Sanga

Compaq has AHR head protection.

The current model does not. Previous models did.

Hands Up

Oh ok that’s an odd decision by them.... i would only buy a seat with side impact protection, OP.

Cheesy Sanga

Oh ok that’s an odd decision by them.... i would only buy a seat with side impact protection, OP.

All seats have side impact protection. Although when forward facing having a head rest is better protection as the child's head starts to protrude from the top of the shell.

Britax have the graphene and the brava with the head rest, so they are good options.

la di dah

https://www.babykingdom.com.au/britax-safe-n-sound-compaq-rear-facing-convertible-car-seat-kohl.html

This is the Compaq I was looking at, it says it has side impact protection, is that different from AHR protection?

Edit: I'm guessing it is since they say Graphene has it and it looks a bit different like there's a headrest within the other?

Edited by la di dah

Hands Up

All seats have side impact protection. Although when forward facing having a head rest is better protection as the child's head starts to protrude from the top of the shell.

Britax have the graphene and the brava with the head rest, so they are good options.

Yeah that’s what I meant as I was referring to the lack of AHR in the new Compaq. I wouldn’t buy a new Compaq on that basis. Very strange decision by them to remove from a seat that sold well.

Edit: la di dah that seat doesn’t have the head rests at the side that provide more protection The headrest has the added benefit that it provides a more comfortable ride for a sleeping child too.

Edited by Hands Up

alchetta

I don't know why they have to change the names of all their seats and adjust all the features every 5 minutes. It makes it very confusing. My previous post is redundant since they don't make it any more but the Brava looks similar.

• Like 1

Daffy2016

I’d go into the local kid safe and try some, and ask for recommendations from them. Easiest thing to do, and they can fit it for you too.