Sign in to follow this  
Sirihawi

Working as a Disability Support Worker

Sirihawi

I would love to chat to anyone who is currently in this position or has been in the past. I am currently studying a course which has led me to the disability field inadvertedtly and now i have an interview next week as a Support worker at a Tafe. Its not something I have done before but am very passionate about. I just have a few questions!

petal71

How did it go, Sirihawi? I have not really worked in the field but have worked in disability employment briefly. I have also been involved in helping ppl with disabilities get support at TAFE and was really impressed at the support on offer. I think it could be a great job.

osmund

I did that a couple of different (part time) roles about 20 years ago working for a University. I really enjoyed it. I loved the close & friendly relationships I made with the clients.

In one role, I was often in classes with them or supporting them individually. I got exposed to really interesting subjects (at Uni) and their opinions/insights.

Another role, I spent a lot of time developing solutions to accessibility issues and advocating to higher executive levels, which was challenging and interesting (and sometimes depressingly frustrating).