GreyhoundLover

Pregnant again after two losses, progesterone falling

GreyhoundLover

Hi everyone,

I just got back from my OB appointment (I am 5 weeks 3 days) after two consecutive missed miscarriages - both of them the baby stopped growing at about 6 weeks. I had a heap of tests done including karyotyping of my husband and I - all normal.

13 days ago my bHCG was 58 and progesterone 87 nmol/L - I was really stoked to get such a high progesterone, because deep down I have always been scared I am losing pregnancies because of low progesterone.

Anyway, my bloods from 5 weeks 0 days (taken 3 days ago) showed a bHCG of 6500 but the progesterone has dropped to 47nmol/L. Now I am totally stressed out. I left the OB's office in tears because I'm terrified I am losing this pregnancy too. My OB was quite firm about not supplementing with progesterone - he believes that if the pregnancy is unviable progesterone will be low and there is no saving it.

I don't know whether it means anything that it was so good to start with and has now dropped right down - do they fluctuate much??

I'm trying to be positive about the bHCG but I just feel dreadful - I've had more bloods taken today and get the results tomorrow morning when I go in for a scan.

Has anyone else had progesterone levels drop this much and the pregnancy was ok??

Grassyrat

I have no experience in your particular situation, just want to send some virtual hugs from a random.

Sorry you're going through this anxious time, I hope it's a sticky one xxx

• Like 1

Pal30

Experience with losses here too so sending a huge hug. Hope everything is ok!

• Like 1

GreyhoundLover

Thanks very much guys - really appreciate the support. Ive been thinking of you Pal - I know you too have dealt with two consecutive losses. Bloods today came back - hcg more than doubled which is great, progesterone the same at 47 so at least it isnt in free fall. Had a scan which measured a gestational sac at 5 weeks 3 days (I thought I was 5wks 4 days so that was pretty good), didnt see a yolk sac or Heartbeat but did see a tiny foetal pole. My OB was really lovely and upbeat - she will scan me again in 7 days. She said to stop worrying about progesterone and that statistically, the odds are much higher for me having a healthy pregnancy than having a third miscarriage so that made me feel a lot better. I will just have to keep hoping and try not to let this anxiety get the better of me

• Like 1

daisy007

I have had progesterone drop and still had two successful pregnancies after four losses. Your levels still seem high, my ob puts me on progesterone when it drops below 12 (I think). He said it’s controversial and some doctors don’t believe supplementary progesterone does anything but he does and so do I. If both hog and progesterone drop then miscarriage is basically certain but progesterone by itself can drop and you can go on to have a successful pregnancy.

If it continues to drop and ob refuses progesterone then I would be looking for a second opinion.

Good luck, it is a really stressful sh*tty time early pregnancy after losses and there isn’t anything anyone can say or do to make the wait any easier x

BBC

Keeping my fingers crossed for you.

ksds

Hi,

As someone that has had 10miscarriages and one love birth, if you are worried about progesterone then get another opinion or push the point. It won’t stop a miscarriage if there is something wrong but it will help a good pregnancy. That’s my experience anyway.

I saw a few doctors until I found one that would treat me. I wish I had pushed harder earlier. I asked for progesterone before miscarriage 3 and was told ‘no’ by my dr. Like you, there is nothing wrong with DH or myself.

DS is pregnancy no.10. I have had 2 miscarriages with progesterone support, before DS and after DS so it isn’t a magic bullet. Do your own research and don’t accept a dr’s opinion blindly though.

Good luck! I hope you have a happy and healthy pregnancy!

Edited by ksds

GreyhoundLover

Wow ksds you are amazing. I dont know how you found the strength to try again and again. Incredible.

I think I am freaking out so badly because if this is a miscarriage that will be the third consecutive and that will mean I cant just chalk it up to bad luck. It likely means there IS something wrong with me. I keep going over all the what ifs - what if I never get another live baby?

My HCG today was 20600, progesterone 49 nmol/l- 48 hrs ago hcg was 13000 so it hasnt doubled. That has sent me into a total tailspin and I couldnt stop crying this afternoon. I tries focusing on the progesterone rising by 2 but the negative thoughts are overwhelming. I should be 6 weeks tomorrow. Has anyone had a positive outcome with hcg not doubling within 48 hours and lowish progesterone????

I need to stop freaking out but i cant!

Ellie bean

Sorry I don’t belong in here but wanted to send you my thoughts GreyhoundLover, really hoping everything goes smoothly for you

• Like 1

Wango

Wow ksds you are amazing. I dont know how you found the strength to try again and again. Incredible.

I think I am freaking out so badly because if this is a miscarriage that will be the third consecutive and that will mean I cant just chalk it up to bad luck. It likely means there IS something wrong with me. I keep going over all the what ifs - what if I never get another live baby?

My HCG today was 20600, progesterone 49 nmol/l- 48 hrs ago hcg was 13000 so it hasnt doubled. That has sent me into a total tailspin and I couldnt stop crying this afternoon. I tries focusing on the progesterone rising by 2 but the negative thoughts are overwhelming. I should be 6 weeks tomorrow. Has anyone had a positive outcome with hcg not doubling within 48 hours and lowish progesterone????

I need to stop freaking out but i cant!

I thought it had to double within 72 hours? Mine always took 76-78 hours when I was doing IVF and he is almost 2 now! Also remember that hcg slows in its doubling rate once it starts getting into the 10s of 1000s and once you hit 6-7 weeks ultrasound is a much better guide.

GreyhoundLover

Thanks guys - your support really means a lot and hearing positive stories do help me xxx

stace_wa

Hi greyhoundlover, thought I'd pop in.

I had 3 losses prior to this current pregnancy (32 weeks now) 1 at 5 weeks, one the baby stopped growing at 9 weeks and the last a chemical.

This pregnancy was very different in the early days to my one with DD (2yo) where my hcg doubled really well and was quite high and so was my progesterone.

This time, my hcg was low, really low, but did double OK and even with 200mg progesterone pessaries twice a day my level only sat at 40-60 averaging around 55 most times. I think my hcg at 7 weeks was barely 17000... I did early pregnancy monitoring with both DD and this pregnancy and they were very very different, but this little guy is growing strong still and is in fact measuring ahead now.

Your hcg sounds like it's doing great. Once you get over 1200 the doubling rate will usually slow and even more so from 6 weeks. My fs doesn't track past 7 weeks and a viability scan.

I completely understand that pregnancy after loss is an extremely anxious time, but to imo this one is sounding really positive for you. I hope once you have seen a little heartbeat on your next scan, your anxiety will ease up a touch and that everything goes really well from here on for you.

GreyhoundLover

Hi Stace,

Firstly, congratulations on your pregnancy!!! That is so amazing you are at 32 weeks - how wonderful and so much deserved after everything you have been through.

It is really heartening to hear that your two successful pregnancies have been quite different from eachother. I keep comparing this pregnancy with my previous pregnancies and because in terms of symptoms etc (or lack thereof) I am probably most like the pregnancies that miscarried, I am totally freaking out. You are right - I really need to relax.

I am especially relieved to hear that your progesterone was around 40-60 and the pregnancy still turned out ok. I think it was the progesterone that really sent me into a tailspin - in some ways I wish I never had it checked.

I decided not to get my hcg checked on Saturday - I just felt like it would only serve to stress me, I decided to wait until the scan on Tuesday morning.

On the plus side, I have felt vaguely nauseous this weekend and my boobs have started to hurt so hopefully that's positive... I just really really want this to be a sticky one!!!

Thanks so much for your kind words of support, it has really helped to hear positive story - best of luck with the rest of your pregnancy xxxx

• Like 1

ksds

@greyhoundlover thinking of you...

stace_wa

I hope your scan went well today Greyhoundlover! Thinking of you.

GreyhoundLover

Thank you guys so much xxx

Unfortunately I am devastated this afternoon - its not over but I suspect it is going to be.

Gestational sac has developed more, yolk sac is visible and embryo has grown to 3.8mm (all good things) but I should be 6 weeks 3 days and im only measuring at 5 weeks 5 days (I think) - OB was vague om that because I domt think she wanted to worry me (too late!!!) The worst part was the heartrate was on 80bpm. I know that isnt good. Ive read all these studies that showed to chance of miscarriage is very high with a heartrate this low.

The OB said it is completely normal at this very early stage as the heart has only just started beating... but this is what happened with my last miscarriage ☹

cvbn

Fingers crossed for you

x

Pal30

Thinking of you Greyhound. What happens now?

Ellie bean

Another who is thinking of you

GreyhoundLover

Thank you guys xx

Another scan in 1 week - so more going crazy in limbo land and then most probably joining the unexplained recurrent miscarriage club ☹

Layla25

Thinking of you, Greyhound. I hope your scan next week looks better, xo.

Mollyksy

Thinking of you and hoping for a great next scan. I had 7 miscarriages before my DS so I understand all the emotions you are experiencing. At such an early stage, it can be normal to be a few days either side on measurements. At this point, it's the next scan that'll really tell you more. Hang in there.

For me, I had some rotten eggs from endometriosis in my ovaries. But there were still some good ones left.

Sending love and hugs from this in internet random. Be kind to yourself.

ksds

Thanks for the update, sorry you are still going through the ringer. At your gestation, the heart beat may have just started in the last couple of days so don’t read too much into the heart rate until you are further along. Take care! Will be thinking of you.

zeldazonk

Oh Greyhound, how stressful. I know how awful the waiting and uncertainty is. I hope the week goes as quickly as possible and you get good news at your next scan xx

stace_wa

Thinking of you greyhoundlover. I hope your scan this week goes well.