oldone

Birthday party food?

oldone

We have two kids coming to DD's 9th birthday party who are anaphalactic to nuts, eggs and dairy. I'm just trying to think of party food that will be ok for them to eat without making a big fuss of them having different stuff.

We were planning on getting pizza (20 kids coming) and having an assortment of chips, lollies and some token fruit/veggies but am now unsure.

I'll make some fruit platters, cut up veggies etc, but are there any specific lollies or chips that are safe to eat?

Also, we have all of those allergens in full swing in our house. Is the fruit etc ok to eat if we cut it with knives/chopping boards that have been in the dishwasher, but may have come into contact with the allergens at some point in their lives?

TIA

ETA is there any kind of cake substitute I can take for them? I've already made the birthday cake, so I can't really redo that, but maybe cupcakes or special cookies from somewhere?

Edited by oldone

Paddlepop

Talk to the children's parents. They might prefer to supply food for their child.

A NEW HOPE

Fairy bread with nuttelex

aluminium

Clean your knives, boards and prep surfaces with a scrubbing brush and hot water before doing any party prep.

Speak with the parents - ask about preferred safe foods and brands.

Read all labels to double check. Allergens should be in bold print.

My DD is ANA to tree nuts and peanuts. She's OK with having a separate plate of snacks - and she appreciates it (as do I) when friends make the effort to provide for her.

We generally find (in regards to nuts) that the Natural Company lollies and Smiths chips are OK.

Instead of pizza, can you switch to nachos? That way they can leave the cheese off their own serving, and generally corn chips are nut-free. I guess you can now order dairy-free vegan pizzas at Dominos, can't you?

We serve ice-cream to gluten-free and nut-free kids in lieu of cake. Not sure if there are any egg components in ice cream? This could be a possibility.

You should also check with parents that the ANA kids have their EpiPens at drop off.

ETA/ We've been at parties where nuts have been served, and had a close call with a chocolate bar plonked on a dessert (that was handed to DD as her special treat instead of the cake) but it turned out to be a Snickers bar ! Close call there!

If you can avoid serving the allergens that would be good - if not, just make it really clear to the kids what foods are safe and what aren't, and have a label by the plate.

Edited by aluminium

PrincessPeach

Air popped popcorn is great.

But as per pp's talk to the parents, we have a couple of kinds at kindy with serious allergies & their parents just bring their kids food to parties (birthday cupcake included for one child).

There are chip brands out there which are allergy friendly - individually sealed packets are good to reduce cross contamination.

kpingitquiet

We had a nut/egg free party recently and we served lollies, chips, jelly cups, meat/veg wraps from woolworths (just ask for no cheese or mayo), then the cake which is easy to make egg-free and fondant icing has none of those. That said, I agree that parents of anaphylactic kids often have freezers stocked with birthday cupcakes. You could even make a small personal pizza with vegan cheese, cooked separately from the other kids'.

• Like 1

Girlo

My local woolies does sushi platters that we order for every party we have. Is something like that an option?

FeelingcLucky

As others have said, I would go directly to the parents and ask them - they will either bring their own food or have suggestions and confirm how to prepare safely.

Home made Hummus with carrots / celery / cucumber and capsicum was a thought for food you could offer but run past the parents

EmmDasher

I did egg/dairy free but I wasn’t looking out for nuts for our party. I did popcorn, honeyjoys and fairy bread subbing butter for nuttelex, meatballs, fruit, veg sticks and home made guacamole and plain chips. I don’t think any of those things had nuts but I didn’t checked. I did chat with the parents and check that what I was doing was ok (no anaphylaxis).

kpingitquiet

My local woolies does sushi platters that we order for every party we have. Is something like that an option?

Beware! Aussie sushi platters tend to be caked in mayo, in and outside the rolls. Mayo is an egg product.

• Like 1

anatomicalheart

IME the easiest way to make sure there isn't any fuss over them having "different stuff" is to make all of the stuff safe- or, as safe as you can.

I realise you've already done the cake but otherwise could the party food just be dairy, nut and egg free?

And TBH, I'd probably skip the pizza if there's a child anaphylactic to cheese attending.

You'll still have to read labels, but you could have foods like:

Corn chips (plain salted), with dip of choice- salsa or hommus

Plain salted chips/crisps

Rice crackers

Gummy lollies/ lollipops/jellybeans

Mini packets of things where kids could choose their own (like multi pack chips- that way the parents aren't worried about cross contamination)

Mini hot dogs or meatballs in bread rolls spread with Nuttalex

Marinated chicken wings

Some brands of puff pastry are vegan- with those, you could make sausage rolls.

I've once pulled out an assortment of icypoles where every choice was safe for the child with the allergy, and that they could choose anything they liked was really appreciated by child and parent.

• Like 1

ipsee

Vegan chocolate cake is good and easy to make. But you may find the families are keen to avoid sugar also...

Plain smiths chips have pretty safe ingredients.

CuriousMe

My DD is allergic to those foods (and others) and tends to eat plain popcorn and fruit at parties. However, I also always bring food for her.

Are the kids being dropped off or parents attending too? I would speak to them about whether they will be providing food and what they would like you to do.

Read all ingredients for preprepared food - eg Mayo has egg in it, egg glaze on baked goods, egg in store bought meatballs, sausage rolls etc, butter on sandwiches.

oldone

Thanks everyone. I went shopping and did lots of label reading. We ended up with lots of fruit, cut up veggies and lollies (that were everything-free) plain chips, plain corn-chip + salsa and some other stuff. In the end I decided against pizza or any kind of 'meal' just loaded up on fruit and veggies and figured the parents could do dinner afterwards.

I didn't want them to have different food, so aside from the cake, I tried to get it so everything was possible if they wanted to eat it. I was mostly concerned about traces from my house full of gluten, eggs, dairy being on knives and chopping boards. I had a chat with their mums before they left (both DH and I both have annual epi-pen training and the mums were both pretty relaxed) and it all went well.

Thanks again. :)