Sign in to follow this  
wannabe30

Plastic Free July - anyone doing the challenge?

wannabe30

Has anyone signed up for Plastic Free July? http://www.plasticfreejuly.org/

Would love to hear your thoughts and tips on how to break the plastic-habit and choose more sustainable alternatives.

seemingly

Hadn't heard of it, but will take a look and see what we can do to limit our plastic usage.

ballogo

Just took their survey and had a look around their website. We already do much of it but now need to:

- think about microbeads in the products we use for cleaning and also the packaging of the milk we buy. So I'm just looking at the website for the brand we use for cleaning products and personal care but I think we're ok in that department. We use vinegar for surface cleaning, as a fabric softener, and as the rinse Aid in the dishwasher. We also use apple cider vinegar as a conditioner;

- check out the packaging of our milk as it probably contains microbeads;

- follow through with my plans to start composting;

- change our bin lining habits.

Edited by ballogo
  • Like 1

wannabe30

I think I’m doing pretty well on the Big Four (single use shopping bags, coffee cups, straws, water bottles). I don’t buy bottled water and always use my Keep Cup.

I do occasionally end up with a plastic shopping bag when I stop at the shops on the way home and discover that I don’t have my reusable bag with me. So this month and really going to concentrate on creating a new habit of making sure my reusable bag is always in my handbag.

I’m also going to work on getting into the habit of proactively saying “no straw please“ whenever I order a drink. I never actually ask for a straw, but so often places automatically give them to you or put them in your drink when you are dining in. Even though I don’t want/use the straw, it’s now “dirty“ so gets thrown away. I need to remember to proactively ask them not to give it to me in the first place – hopefully that means cafes will also start to question why they keep handing them out automatically.

(Edited to correct a typo)

Edited by wannabe30

*Marty*

Edited by *Marty*

spr_maiden

where's the survey please ballogo?

~Jolly_F~

where's the survey please ballogo?

Its under the getting started section on the website the link directs you too :)

spr_maiden